Interview: NVIDIA's Keita Iida @ IGN

This line makes me laugh;

Naturally, given that we have the only current hardware on the market, and they're using that as the reference hardware for DX10 development, it makes sense for both parties to make sure that people with 8800 GTXs will have a great experience.

Considering the comments from the actual FSX developers say they use both cards, and they found the GF8800 wanting in some areas;

Early tests on ATI hw show their geometry shader unit is much more performant than the GS unit on the NV hw. That could influence our feature plan.
http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2007/03/03/optimized-for-vista-does-not-mean-dx10.aspx

'That could influence our feature plan' sound like it may be a 'reference' because it's the low target to shoot for for minimum support. :twisted:

I think both will play well because M$ will do it's best to ensure that, but to try and pimp the GF8800 as being the only reference card for an unlaunched product like FSX is pure PR and tries to gloss over one of it's first publically stated weaknesses in DX10.

coylter

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003
This line makes me laugh;

Naturally, given that we have the only current hardware on the market, and they're using that as the reference hardware for DX10 development, it makes sense for both parties to make sure that people with 8800 GTXs will have a great experience.

Considering the comments from the actual FSX developers say they use both cards, and they found the GF8800 wanting in some areas;

Early tests on ATI hw show their geometry shader unit is much more performant than the GS unit on the NV hw. That could influence our feature plan.
http://blogs.msdn.com/ptaylor/archive/2007/03/03/optimized-for-vista-does-not-mean-dx10.aspx

'That could influence our feature plan' sound like it may be a 'reference' because it's the low target to shoot for for minimum support. :twisted:

I think both will play well because M$ will do it's best to ensure that, but to try and pimp the GF8800 as being the only reference card for an unlaunched product like FSX is pure PR and tries to gloss over one of it's first publically stated weaknesses in DX10.

You truly are an ATI fanboy...

I mean ive known it but thats going far right there. Not that i give damn...

If the 8800 was available 8 months to us before the x2900, so was it for devs. Get that trough the skull, its not fanboyism its cold hard truth.

edit: Looking back at it again, you went trough the effort of looking for the comment of an obscure developer in an attempt to refute the claims of an NVIDIA rep in an interview. I just dont understand the need to put so much time into defending a major corporation, then again i dont understand fanboys.

And you're ignorant of the fact that this is a PR interview, little more, and their choice of PR content is laughable.

Obviously you do, you made the 'effort' to reply.

If the 8800 was available 8 months to us before the x2900, so was it for devs. Get that trough the skull, its not fanboyism its cold hard truth.

It doesn't matter what was avaiable to you and me, obviously the R600 has been available to M$ for alot longer than that. Read the article, then read the blog. They talk about M$ and the GF8800 being the 'reference for DX10 development', and this interview with Keita is recent, those statements by the FSX dev team are old, and well circulated. If you can't appreciate the irony of his comments, then you're just ignorant.

edit: Looking back at it again, you went trough the effort of looking for the comment of an obscure developer in an attempt to refute the claims of an NVIDIA rep in an interview.

It was no effort, I'm in the MSN dev blogs for work anyways, and I noticed this long ago when it first came out, we discussed it here extensively. So it wasn't any 'effort' to look for it again. It took me less time to look for it than it did to cut and past the link. :roll:

I just dont understand the need to put so much time into defending a major corporation, then again i dont understand fanboys.

Who's defending whom from what?
This is a PR interview, and the part that caught me as most humourous was the part where they use FSX to FUD the reader into thinking that the GF8800 is the only reference part for developers because there is no retail R600 out yet 'on the market', whereas, my link shows that's not the case and Devs are already using them both.

That you have a problem with me pointing out that fact, shows that you are more concerned about defending obvious corporate PR FUD than actually using your head to be properly skeptical of PR interviews like this.

If I were only pro-ATi, I wouldn't recommend the GF8800 and GF7600GT anywhere near what I do, and I also wouldn't criticise the weak AMD parts as much as I do. But of course you expect me to faun over your favourite company, or else I'm a fanboi for the other team.

And really, if all you have to reply to the actually FSX Dev's comments is that I'm a FanATic, well then you're not intelligent enough to continue a discussion with. What else have you added to the thread other than comment about me personally? You didn't even comment on the article itself nor on the content of the weblog, you knob!
knobad7.gif

How could someone not be an ati fanboy? I mean their pcbs are red, frakin' red! That just rocks.

Pfft, BLACK PCBs are the COOL ones. 8)

Actually Gainward's nV PCB's are RED too.
pepperxv2.gif

And the Gainward GF8800 series is the nice Black PCB + RED HSF !! :twisted:

And both IHVs are now technically GREEN.
picklerp5.gif

No1sFanboy

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Of course any interview is going to have spin but the Microsoft link you provided sure has it's share of fud.

FSX was plugged as one of the first DX10 games. Rather than have a DX10 patch at Vista's release it won't arrive until a full year after it's release. Then the guy has the balls to blame Nvidia and ATI.

In Aug and Sept, as we lacked DX10 hardware at all (much less production quality hw) we realized we couldn’t simul-ship with Vista in Jan 2007 since we believed we needed at least 6 months with production quality hw. Getting early hw in Oct, and production hw at the G80 launch in early Nov meant at a minimum May 2007for release of DX10 support; given a 6 month schedule and a perfect world.

However, as FSX Launch occurred Oct 17 and we began to get feedback from the community we realized we needed a service pack to address performance issues and a few other issues. So we started a dialog with the community and made a commitment to delivering a service release. The work on SP1 and DX10 is being performed by the same team of people (the Graphics and Terrain team) and thus delivering SP1 has delayed DX10.

Given the state of the NV drivers for the G80 and that ATI hasn’t released their hw yet; it’s hard to see how this is really a bad plan. We really want to see final ATI hw and production quality NV and ATI drivers before we ship our DX10 support. Early tests on ATI hw show their geometry shader unit is much more performant than the GS unit on the NV hw. That could influence our feature plan.

Everything DX10 is late and troubled. Crysis, FSX patch, COH patch, SupComm DX10, ATI hardware, Nvidia drivers etc. Now the one company who should have been able to support their own API is partially blaming the one company who delivered something on time. Now that is some quality FUD.

These PR spinners should at least get on the same page seeing as how their successes are so intertwined.

Of course any interview is going to have spin but the Microsoft link you provided sure has it's share of fud.

I wouldn't call it FUD since it's the dev talking about their experiences with their product. But I'd agree they aren't about to blame their own people for delaying Vista, which is where it clearly lies IMO. I wouldn't call that FUD, since it does nothing to spread Fear Uncertainty and doubt, what it does is re-write history in an M$ friendly light, and that I agree wholeheartedly.

Everything DX10 is late and troubled. Crysis, FSX patch, COH patch, SupComm DX10, ATI hardware, Nvidia drivers etc.

Agreed, it's a domino affect that feed the delays and issue of others. If M$ hadn't switched paths again towards the end, nV and ATi would've had more time with closer to RTM code than what they were working with earlier leading to better drivers for both companies. Also this would help developers get onto their omptimizing for Vista/DX10.

Now the one company who should have been able to support their own API is partially blaming the one company who delivered something on time.

Well even nV was delayed, I haven't seen many things delivered on time recently.

Now that is some quality FUD.

I think you confuse what FUD's for. FUD was used by M$ and IBM against their rivals to make people afraid to purchase the competition's product. The statement I quote is FUDish, the cover-up the facts by an M$ employee isn't actually FUD.

These PR spinners should at least get on the same page seeing as how their successes are so intertwined.

Well the Weblog is not for PR, it's actually a Dev relations page as are most of the 'old' MSDN blogs, the new ones are more fluff. So it's not surprising that the Dev doesn't care about PR. Talk to a PR person and they wouldn't blame ATi or nV, but say something mealy-mouthed, like 'it's a combination of things that led to the situation we find ourselves in, etc.' And equally of course AMD and nV's PR people would only point out the flaws in each other's situation/products/strategy, they would never point towards M$ because there's no long term benefit in that, and if anything it would be counter to their role and make things tougher now and in the future.

This always happens close to launches, one side gets ready to promote their upcoming product, the other side promotes their existing product line.

Expect it to get worse during & after the GF8600 launch and during & after the R600 launch in order to try and draw the spotlight away from the competition.

coylter

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2003

And you're ignorant of the fact that this is a PR interview, little more, and their choice of PR content is laughable.

Obviously you do, you made the 'effort' to reply.

It doesn't matter what was avaiable to you and me, obviously the R600 has been available to M$ for alot longer than that. Read the article, then read the blog. They talk about M$ and the GF8800 being the 'reference for DX10 development', and this interview with Keita is recent, those statements by the FSX dev team are old, and well circulated. If you can't appreciate the irony of his comments, then you're just ignorant.

edit: Looking back at it again, you went trough the effort of looking for the comment of an obscure developer in an attempt to refute the claims of an NVIDIA rep in an interview.

It was no effort, I'm in the MSN dev blogs for work anyways, and I noticed this long ago when it first came out, we discussed it here extensively. So it wasn't any 'effort' to look for it again. It took me less time to look for it than it did to cut and past the link. :roll:

I just dont understand the need to put so much time into defending a major corporation, then again i dont understand fanboys.

Who's defending whom from what?
This is a PR interview, and the part that caught me as most humourous was the part where they use FSX to FUD the reader into thinking that the GF8800 is the only reference part for developers because there is no retail R600 out yet 'on the market', whereas, my link shows that's not the case and Devs are already using them both.

That you have a problem with me pointing out that fact, shows that you are more concerned about defending obvious corporate PR FUD than actually using your head to be properly skeptical of PR interviews like this.

If I were only pro-ATi, I wouldn't recommend the GF8800 and GF7600GT anywhere near what I do, and I also wouldn't criticise the weak AMD parts as much as I do. But of course you expect me to faun over your favourite company, or else I'm a fanboi for the other team.

And really, if all you have to reply to the actually FSX Dev's comments is that I'm a FanATic, well then you're not intelligent enough to continue a discussion with. What else have you added to the thread other than comment about me personally? You didn't even comment on the article itself nor on the content of the weblog, you knob!
knobad7.gif

I didnt even read that and i didnt read the interview either. I also have nothing against you, just making a statement. Dont waste you time typing huge replies to someone just stating what he saw.