Problem with powering on.

Chapel

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
My new system doesn't work; the fans turn on for about 10 miliseconds and then turn off. All I have installed is the mobo and a new e6600. Dry running it like this shouldn't be a problem, right?

It looks as if my motherboard is grounded but I don't have more than the required mounting posts and they are all being used. What else would cause my motherboard to act grounded like this? My cpu heatsink (Thermalright 120 ultra) has a back-plate installed, would it ground the mobo? Could it be something other than my mobo being grounded?
I'm using the Abit Quadgt.

Thank you for your time and effort,

-Chapel

Chapel

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2007
Sounds like a heat problem. I'd reinstall the HSF including cleaning off the old paste and putting on fresh.

I don't think my machine could overheat in 1/10 of a second. It's all new equipment.

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
It really doesn't take very long for a machine to shut down if it senses that the CPU is overheating. I've run into this in the past when I didn't have the HFS seated properly. No doubt it could be something else but this is where I would start. If this didn't correct the problem, I'd next try a different PSU but again, I'd start with the HSF

nh484000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2006
Id guess that it would be the PSU. I HIGHLY doubt that it is a heat issue if its on for less than a second. Another thing it might be is the way you connected the wires to your mobo.