Can't Extend Partition

Status
Not open for further replies.

ken_inglis_707

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
While running Computer Management as Administrator, I have a USB disk that is split into two partitions. One is healthy and active (NTFS) and the other is unallocated. When I right click on the active disk, I should be seeing an option to expand this drive to take over the unallocated space, should I not? It is a basic disk, not dynamic, but I thought that even basic disks have this ability. I am able to see this option when I right click on dynamic disks...

Solution
+1 use

http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

area51reopened did not post a spam. It is a legit and good software.

Also I think you should try diskpart:

cmd.exe in seach box, ctrl+shift+enter to elevated command prompt

in command prompt, type:

diskpart

list volume

(find the volume you want to extend)

select volume x (x is the number of the volume you want to extend)

extend

I hope my solution works and I just lose a bit more faith on professional computer technical support staff.

ken_inglis_707

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2011
I can do that, yes but I'm trying to figure out why it is not showing up the option in the right-click context method. I'm a tier 1 tech support employee, so if a customer is having this sort of issue I should know this. Let's say for example they don't have enough space on another drive to back up their data.

jamesdean1

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2011
1. Log on as an Administrator.

2. Go to Control Panel > System and Maintenance > Administrative Tools > Computer Management. You can also open the Computer Management application by using the Computer context menu. Select Computer Management.

3. Expand the Storage section, and in it go to the Disk Management console.

4. Select the disk you want to extend, for example Drive C.

5. Right-click the disk and select Extend Volume.

6. Click on "Next".

7. Windows 7 will tell you how much space can be added to the existing partition. You can manually enter the amount of space you want to add by changing the "Select the amount of space in MB" values. Note that you cannot enter a higher value than the value already present. Click on "Next".

8. The process will finish quite quickly, and a reboot is NOT required. You can notice the new partition size.

That is actually an answer from the forum Moderator.

Check under his avatar image.

I have a Community Reporter and you have a Newcomer.

area51reopened
Groom Lake International Airport
More Information

If it stays on the topic, it is mostly not a spam.

+1 use

http://www.partition-tool.com/personal.htm

area51reopened did not post a spam. It is a legit and good software.

Also I think you should try diskpart:

cmd.exe in seach box, ctrl+shift+enter to elevated command prompt

in command prompt, type:

diskpart

list volume

(find the volume you want to extend)

select volume x (x is the number of the volume you want to extend)

extend

I hope my solution works and I just lose a bit more faith on professional computer technical support staff.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.