Cleaned Up Old PC Recycle Bin and Exe File Problems

Tags:
  • Windows XP
April 17, 2005 3:58:21 AM

I recently cleaned up an old PC infested with worms, virii, and
spyware. That part was easy enough but a lot of damage remains. The
Recycle Bin doesn't open, instead it pops up a dialog box warning that
it's not ready. Certain .exe files like the install files for AVG
antivirus won't launch. I'm curious about what might be causing the
problems. I'm thinking about just reformatting and installing a fresh
copy of Windows but I'd like to see if there are any other options.

The PC I'm fixing is a Compaq Presario with a 700MHz Celeron
Processor, 192MB of memory (11MB reserved for video) running a Spanish
language version of Windows XP.

--
Roberto Castillo
robertocastillo@ameritech.net

More about : cleaned recycle bin exe file problems

Anonymous
April 17, 2005 2:33:50 PM

Roberto Castillo <robertocastillo@ameritech.net> wrote:

>I recently cleaned up an old PC infested with worms, virii, and
>spyware. That part was easy enough but a lot of damage remains. The
>Recycle Bin doesn't open, instead it pops up a dialog box warning that
>it's not ready. Certain .exe files like the install files for AVG
>antivirus won't launch. I'm curious about what might be causing the
>problems. I'm thinking about just reformatting and installing a fresh
>copy of Windows but I'd like to see if there are any other options.

I would do this since it should be the fastest way to get a clean
Windows installation.

--
(tm)
!