Does anyone do HDTV trade ins?

Last response: in Home Theatre
November 5, 2004 9:01:14 PM

I've got a 52" rear projection first generation HDTV. I'm happy with it but
would love to upgrade to plazma or DLP. However, I don't need another TV and
don't want to go thru the hastle of trying to sell what I've already got.
However, I'd be more than happy to trade it in if someone would take a trade
in. I've never heard of the major retailers (BB, CC, Ultimate) taking
trade-ins, though. Anyone know of a retailer that does take trade-ins?

More about : hdtv trade ins

Anonymous
November 6, 2004 9:37:35 AM

"sandblaster" <ssandhoops@charter.net> wrote in message news:<10oo52i4ag4u04e@corp.supernews.com>...
> I've got a 52" rear projection first generation HDTV. I'm happy with it but
> would love to upgrade to plazma or DLP. However, I don't need another TV and
> don't want to go thru the hastle of trying to sell what I've already got.
> However, I'd be more than happy to trade it in if someone would take a trade
> in. I've never heard of the major retailers (BB, CC, Ultimate) taking
> trade-ins, though. Anyone know of a retailer that does take trade-ins?

I can't speak for around the world, but in the USA the answer is- No.
Retailers don't want used consumer electronics goods any more than
they want other used goods for that mater.

Try a second hand store or a Pawn shop, they will probably offer you
15-25% of the resale value of your set (if they offer to buy it at
all). You could also try to list it in the paper or on-line and sale
it yourself, this would bring you the most money, but be aware that
the resale value of rear-projection CRT sets is pretty bad. I had a
friend who recently dumped a 65" set purchased in 2002 at $2500. After
four months of trying to sell it at $1500 he finally decided to go
down and ended up selling it for $800.
Anonymous
November 6, 2004 7:06:51 PM

Have you been to Craig's list?

http://www.craigslist.org/

On the right side of the screen are links to a bunch of different cities.
So if you live in the Chicago area click on the Chicago link. You can then
post in the "For Sale" area under "electronics" that you have an HDTV to
sell for $xxx.xx. Then you can hopefully sell it to someone locally so that
they can just pick it up rather than dealing with shipping through ebay.

I don't think any local stores will buy so you can either do Craig's List or
Ebay or the local paper.

Brad

"sandblaster" <ssandhoops@charter.net> wrote in message
> I've got a 52" rear projection first generation HDTV. I'm happy with it
> but would love to upgrade to plazma or DLP. However, I don't need another
> TV and don't want to go thru the hastle of trying to sell what I've
> already got. However, I'd be more than happy to trade it in if someone
> would take a trade in. I've never heard of the major retailers (BB, CC,
> Ultimate) taking trade-ins, though. Anyone know of a retailer that does
> take trade-ins?

Related resources
December 30, 2008 3:44:43 PM

thanks