maybe a dumb question...

cberry8

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
going to be building an sli system in the next month or so, and i already have an 8800gts 320mb video card, came factory overclocked so obviously it loads at those bus timings when the system boots. if i go and buy another 8800gts 320mb, but not factory overclocked, one being 500mhz and the other 576mhz, i shouldnt have a problem should I? may sound like a dumb question but so be it lol.

thanks

Track

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2006
.. but it would probably best if u were to clock them the same for SLi.

On a personal note, why would u buy two GTS's with 320MB each? That dosent make any sense. I hope u didnt think that the RAM would double in SLi.

senor_bob

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2007
wait....i can do a 320mb and a 640mb in SLI????
Head on over to www.slizone.com and you will find many of these questions addressed in the FAQ. Here are the entries regarding your specific questions:
Can I mix and match graphics cards?
In order to provide optimal symmetric scaling, SLI technology requires the NVIDIA GPUs to match. For example, a GeForce 7800 GTX must be paired with another GeForce 7800 GTX. Likewise, a GeForce 6600 GT must be paired with another GeForce 6600 GT. However, using the latest Release 80 or later graphics drivers, NVIDIA GPUs sold by different manufacturers can be used together in an SLI configuration. For example, a GeForce 7800 GT from vendor ABC can be matched with a GeForce 7800 GT from vendor XYZ.

Can I mix and match graphics cards is one of them is overclocked by the manufacturer?
Yes. A GeForce 7800 GTX that is overclocked (for example BFG GeForce 7800 GTX OC) can be mixed with a standard clocked GeForce 7800 GTX.

Can I mix and match graphics cards with different sizes of memory?
While it is not recommended, NVIDIA does offer this flexibility using Coolbits. When purchasing a second graphics card, you should try to match the memory size so that you are ensured full value and performance from your purchase. For example, if your first card is a GeForce 6600 GT with 128MB of memory, you should purchase a second GeForce 6600 GT with 128MB of memory. However, using Coolbits (value set to 18 ), you can force both of the cards to use the lower of the two memory sizes and operate together in SLI mode. When dissimilar memory sizes are enabled to work together using Coolbits, the effective memory size for each card becomes the smaller of the two memory sizes. Instructions to enable this feature can be found here.