Computer Crashes

TDGirlie

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
Help, my computer keeps crashing and it seems to be linked to the sound card or the VGA driver (I think). I have turned off the audio device which seem to help for a while, but if I play games or try to use either of the cd drives for downloading from CD onto the computer, the computer just turns itself off and starts alarming (sounds like a police siren). I have to turn it off at the socket and then switch it back on after 10 secs to get it to work again - could this be a power supply problem? I have recently had a new hard drive fitted as thought this was the problem, but if anything, the situation is worse. I have only installed minimum stuff on the computer since the new hard drive was installed - any help gratefully received. Thanks

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
What section are you in. This is the Hardware section of the Forumz. Specificly the Other Components section of the Hardware section.

Now to the OP's question. The alarm sound may be an alarm indicating that the system is overheating.

Good question? Momentary brain lapse. :?

TDGirlie

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
I have an AMD Athlon Processor. I have a printer, monitor, and wireless router running of the PC. It is not overheating. It seems to crash when I add a USB into one of the ports, ie digital camera, iPod. It also seems to crash if I am using too many graphics, ie, games, flashy websites, etc?

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
The version of MEMtest I recently downloaded was a zip file that extracted an ISO file and I used BurnCDCC to burn it to a CD. It's free and worked perfectly. Screwed around with Easy Media Creator for a couple of days and never could get it to work. Boot off the CD and run the test. It ran over 3 hours on my machine, 2GB of RAM, and still wasn't finished so I decided to run it over night. Definitely takes a while to run.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/burncdcc.html

TDGirlie

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2007
Ok, have downloaded the memtest on to floppy. I assume that I now restart the computer with the floppy in the drive? As you can tell, I am not exactly PC literate! Thanks