Help please...Framerate slows down and I don't know why

Castellorizo

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007
I barely know anything about computers but I do know that my computer can handle all the games I try. The games run good for a minute or two and then the framerate just slows right down and I can't play them at all. I recently just got this computer so not much is on it so i don't know what it could be.

When asking a performance/hardware question you should always in clude your system specs, which include your ram amount, your cpu, your os, yourgfx card, your psu and of course which games and any changes you may have made

Castellorizo

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007
oh im sorry im not sure how to check all that stuff but this is what I know}

256MB ram
Intel Pentium 4 1500mhz
Nvdia geforce2 MX
Im using Windows XP and im preferably trying to run runescape

sorry if this stuff doesnt help but im kind of clueless

Castellorizo

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007
well runescape ran fine on my old computer and it was about the same but maybe my hardrive is full? i've got like 1000 songs so if i were to compress them all would that help at all?

randomizer

Champion
I recently just got this computer so not much is on it so i don't know what it could be.
How recently? :? You didnt buy it new did you?

The gfx card should be fine for runescape, the graphics engine in that game is ancient. But RAM is an issue, get another 256mb or 512mb stick and that should help. Maybe you should overclock that P4....... :D

PS: That GF2 MX was the first 3D card I ever had, played most DX7/8 games ok. When it came to CNC generals, forget it. You knock over a tree, the game practically halts until it sinks into the ground and disappears. Then I got a GF4 ti4400.... :mrgreen: :trophy:

dsidious

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006
You need more ram. Your system is 5 yrs old. Its gonna be slow or even inoperable in alot of new games. Before your decide to add to it , look around for a newer one. If you do decide on keeping it heres a link for a way to get the ram youll need : http://www.crucial.com/index.asp?gclid=CLGGvLKOwYsCFSmkhgodLA_1_g This will help you get the right ram, tho if its costly you may want to get a newer/better rig.

Seconded. My old computer was MUCH better with 512 MB than with 256 MB. For example if Windows takes 255 MB the upgraded system has 257 MB instead of 1 MB for your game :D

That being said, I'd get a new computer instead of spending another cent on the old one. Parts you don't upgrade will act as bottlenecks preventing the parts you do upgrade from doing their best.

dsidious

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2006
well runescape ran fine on my old computer and it was about the same but maybe my hardrive is full? i've got like 1000 songs so if i were to compress them all would that help at all?

Are you keeping them on the disk as WAV files?
If yes, get yourself an MP3 encoder (plenty of free ones on the Web, try tucows for example) and make them 160 Kbps mp3's. To play them use winamp or whatever software you prefer, again plenty of freeware for that. I don't think that's causing your problem with the game though.

Also try defragmenting the hard drive from time to time.