Dual boot capability with new Intel chip

Pags

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
I've recently purchased a new computer (it has not yet arrived yet).

The basic specs on the system are:
Intel Duo Core E6600
1 GB RAM (512*2)
Asus motherboard
1 SATA harddrive, 2 IDE harddrives, 2 IDE CD/DVD, 1 IDE zip drive, 1 mini-IDE floppy (all but the SATA drive are from my old box)
Shipped with XP home

My question is can it be made dual-boot between XP Home and Windows98?

I noticed these threads on your forum that suggested that it might be difficult to pull off
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/software/Windows-freezing-installation-dual-core-cpu-ftopict231256.html
http://forumz.tomshardware.com/software/Upgraded-CPU-windows-98-freezes-ftopict230017.html

What would happen if I pulled out one RAM chip (so I'm only at 512MB, the max that 98 allows according to the second link)? Would I be able to make it boot into 98? If it booted into 98 would it just use one processor on the core (as last I recall, 98 doesn't like two processors) but have full access to the L2 cache? Can I disable, via BIOS or a dual-boot utility (please tell me which one:) ) one of the processor units and/or the extra 512MB of memory?

Win98 is already installed on the primary IDE harddrive, XP on the SATA drive.

Any tips and tricks, or will I be out-of-luck? I have over $2000 of 98 compatible-only software on the system, and I have a limited budget, which is why I'm considering being able to access the old software in 98 mode.

Pags

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
old versions of photoshop and MSOffice that I lost the CDs for with one of my prior moves (so although they're installed under 98, they're not re-installable), plus Visual C++ 3.1.

Additionally, programs that were designed for DOS and Win3.1 that were usable under 98, but likely not under XP (Borland Pascal and other programming environments, not to mention old sk00l games like SerfCity and Privateer, which I've been known to go back and play from time-to-time).

One program that I know definitely doesn't work under XP is one that hooks int 16h to record make/break codes of keys pressed (made using x86 assembly). Note that windows itself doesn't store a record that key A is still depressed if you're holding A down and then tap key B. This low-level programming has to be programmed (as far as I can tell) at a hardware interrupt level, something which 98SE supported, but XP did not. It MAY be supported somewhere in directX (if it was recoded from scratch), but dos 6.2.2 or 7.0 seems to be the best environment, which is shellable in 98.

In other words I have my reasons for wanting what I want. Is there a way to do what I want?

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
I highly doubt you'll be able to run such a new rig on Windows 98, but it should prove at least to be amusing. Good luck. :D

My Advice: Keep your old computer as it is, and purchase a KVM switch.

sturm

Splendid
I would check and see if you can even get drivers for 98 for your board. No drivers no 98 on new rig.
I would just keep your current rig as is and only run xp on the new one. Use a kvm like joefriday said.

Pags

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
I highly doubt you'll be able to run such a new rig on Windows 98, but it should prove at least to be amusing. Good luck. :D

My Advice: Keep your old computer as it is, and purchase a KVM switch.

I can't keep the old computer as it is, unless you mean "broken." I think the capacitors on my old motherboard fried (it was an ABit board from 98/99).

I've been able to boot the new computer (accidently, as somehow my bios decided to try a different disk boot priority) into windows98 safe mode, but not full mode.