Sign in with
Your question

Where is the thermal diode on a card usually placed?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
a b U Graphics card
April 14, 2007 2:35:50 AM

I was wondering where the thermal diode/sensor on modern graphics cards is placed. Is it like the cpu sensor on older (?) AMD cpus where it would be below the socket (even tho there isnt a socket, so under the chip) or is it actually on die. The reason I am asking is coz my powercolor x1950 pro supposedly doesnt have temp monitoring (or fan monitoring/control for that matter) capabilities. If it was on die, then I would assume that the video BIOS is just not coded to read from the sensor, so if someone was able to mod the BIOS into reading it, then I would actually be able to monitor temps. I myself have no idea how to mod a BIOS beyond clock speeds tho.

Also, what about the fan speed control? The sapphire x1950 pro uses the same cooler (the non-ultimate version), does it have fan control, or does it run at constant speed? If it does adjust fan speed, then I guess its just powercolors BIOS again.

Any help appreciated.

More about : thermal diode card

April 14, 2007 2:48:00 AM

huh?
powercolor x1950pro 256mb card have a temp sensor and fan control... well at least one of mine does (not my sig build)..
a b U Graphics card
April 14, 2007 2:52:49 AM

You got the one with the accelero X2? I have the standard 1-slot cooler, and every program available tells me I dont have any available. Plus my card runs at a constant speed (you can tell as the sound, a jet engine, never changes).

EDIT: What do you use to monitor it?
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
April 14, 2007 3:29:33 AM

I dont use the catalyst control centre, as its too bloated. I usually use ati tray tools instead. Heres a few screenies of what it says. Notice how in each, GPU/enviornment temp is greyed out.

EDIT: I enabled the sys tray monitoring just in case, but normally its disabled.
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2007 2:22:27 AM

Any ideas how to access the thermal sensor? I'm pretty sure the fan cant be controlled (I'll live with that, it is a cheap brand) but I still wish I could monitor temps.
April 15, 2007 2:30:20 AM

Quote:
Any ideas how to access the thermal sensor? I'm pretty sure the fan cant be controlled (I'll live with that, it is a cheap brand) but I still wish I could monitor temps.

One of the wires that you use to connect the video card to the motherboard is the one that shows the temperature I think. I use ati tool to monitor my gpu temperature.
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2007 2:35:17 AM

Quote:
Well i'm only familier with nVidia cards but i would think it whould have an option in the control panel. Othre then that i havn't got a clue.

Ok, thanks anyway.
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2007 2:36:02 AM

How many video cards connect to the mobo with wires? They just plug in to the slot.
April 15, 2007 2:52:03 AM

Quote:
How many video cards connect to the mobo with wires? They just plug in to the slot.

Well, the last one I connected which was a 9800 Pro haha. Did you try ati tool and it still didn't work? What card is it?

Edit: Oh I see you have a 1950Pro, I have an x800gto in my computer at the moment and I can read it's temperatures from ati tool. Did you go to settings - temperature monitoring and enable it?
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2007 2:56:23 AM

Havent got Atitool installed, gotta dl it first. I use ATI Tray Tools usually.
April 15, 2007 2:58:22 AM

Quote:
Havent got Atitool installed, gotta dl it first. I use ATI Tray Tools usually.

I mainly use it to monitor temperatures and overclock a bit. I suggest you install the latest NON-beta one, because...well, you never know.
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2007 2:59:22 AM

I remember this from last time I used this program, there is no temp monitoring section

EDIT: I'm gonna try the beta version, as the latest stable doesnt support x1950 pro OCing, and maybe just doesnt like my card. :? Other people use it tho...
April 15, 2007 3:04:01 AM

Quote:
I remember this from last time I used this program, there is no temp monitoring section

Are you sure? When you click on settings there is no Temperature Monitoring in the drop down? I have version 0.24 btw.
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2007 3:04:32 AM

Positive, and I'm using 0.26, but will try the 0.27 beta.
April 15, 2007 3:07:11 AM

Quote:
Positive, and I'm using 0.26, but will try the 0.27 beta.

And if that doesn't work try the 0.24 just in case. It's weird though...maybe it's your motherboard? What is your motherboard btw?
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2007 3:07:24 AM

No luck with the beta either. Might have to rage-quit soon :twisted:

BFG nforce4 Ultra is the mobo. The model is some pathetic thing like BFGRNF4U.
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2007 3:11:11 AM

0.24 doesnt even detect clocks properly lol! Nothing there either...
April 15, 2007 3:15:00 AM

Well it can't be a motherboard because my motherboard isn't that good... a socket 754 MSI. Only thing I can ask is this: Did you replace the fan on it? If so, did you connect the fan's power chord to the video card itself or the motherboard?
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2007 3:20:11 AM

All stock and connecting with the card (I assume as the fan runs and I never connected it to the mobo)
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2007 3:42:21 AM

Also does anyone know any programs for editing the video BIOS, which I saved using ATItool? Does RaBiT still work with new cards?

EDIT: What is the latest version available of RaBiT btw? Theres a few around.
a b U Graphics card
April 15, 2007 4:30:15 AM

I am about 80% sure its the video BIOS. After using the latest RaBiT version and reading from the EEPROM, the Environment monitor was greyed out. After finding a Powercolor BIOS file on the net and opening that, the Environment monitor is accessible. Just dunno if I want to flash the card, since it will void the warranty. Not quite the same as an OC. Plus I dont have a PCI card lying around if it screws up.
!