Sign in with
Your question

New Build Won't Start - Weird Post Code Beeps

Last response: in Systems
April 14, 2007 2:49:07 AM

First off, a friend of mine from California bought what he thought was a pre-built PC for his sister here in New York, but it came in parts. So I was drafted to put it all together.

I just turned it on for the first time and the Intel splash screen comes up immediately, but a few seconds into boot, I get a 4 beep post code. Sounds like a police siren...

beeeep, beep, beeeep, beep

Then 2 seconds later it powers itself down. I can't seem to find out which BIOS this is using and all the post code lists I can find don't seem to have that beep pattern

-The motherboard is and Intel d945gccr
-The CPU is a Pentium D 940 3.2 GHz
-512MB of Ultra DDR2 PC2-4200 533MHz RAM
-Ultra XWind Heatsink/Fan

Everything's connected fine from what I can see. Any ideas?
April 14, 2007 3:28:38 AM

No Beeps Short - No power, Bad CPU/MB, Loose Peripherals
One Beep - Everything is normal and Computer POSTed fine
Two Beeps - POST/CMOS Error
One Long Beep, One Short Beep - Motherboard Problem
One Long Beep, Two Short Beeps - Video Problem
One Long Beep, Three Short Beeps - Video Problem
Three Long Beeps - Keyboard Error
Repeated Long Beeps - Memory Error
Continuous Hi-Lo Beeps - CPU Overheating

1 long, 1 short, then repeated = mobo.
April 14, 2007 3:49:14 AM

make sure you have your cpu fan pluged into the cpu fan pins...
Related resources
April 14, 2007 7:10:35 AM

sounds like a problem i had a while ago, turns out i forgot to plug the CPU fan in. however, mine would just keep on going... good to know that my old air cooler would run fine in all office tasks with no fan......
April 14, 2007 7:40:51 AM

if you can get into the bios set up menu check the cpu temp.
the HSF might not be seated properly .
I would check there first
April 14, 2007 12:06:04 PM

Could very well be......didn't look at it that way. I had assumed the beeping stopped, but maybe not.

Ya, check the HSF for sure. Much better course of action before you investigate the mobo as defective.

Check the HSF mounting (or re-mount it) and then check all your cable connections to the mobo.
April 14, 2007 2:52:23 PM

First off, the amount of help I got on this so quickly is amazing. I am extremely appreciative to all of you guys. Thank You!

Secondly, as of right now the computer is lying in wait for a new heatsink. After seeing the posts I turned it back on, and noticed something. It took a good 5 seconds after the beeps to power itself off. I actually saw some text appear on the screen, but it shut down before I could start to read it.

Then I turned it on again immediately and it powered down immediately after the beeps. Same on the 3rd start.

So I'm guessing it's a heat issue. The heatsink is a tight fit, so I'm assuming it's just not seated properly (the fan cablle was attached btw). Guess it's just to big for this mobo/case combination. Going to get a smaller one next week and give it another go.
!