Have Raid1 - added 3rd drive for xtra - weird problems

Drifter666

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007
Any help with this would be greatly appreciated......

I have a Dell Dimension 8400, 3 GB of memory Pentium 3.4 and Windows XP professional

I have a set of RAID 1 hard drives. The Raid drives are SATA and 8MB cache.

I added a SEAGATE 300GB internal hard drive (ST3300622AS-RK) which is SATA and feautes NCQ and3Gb/s data rate exchange and 16 MB cache. I dont think my machine officialy has NCQ and the data rate is probley 1.8 Gb/s (or whatever the original SATA data transfer

I added the SEAGATE as an extend partion and logical drive while the RAID drives say they are primary. my external Maxtor terrabyte shows up in the disk mamanger as Primary as well.

I added the SEAGATE drive via a SATA connector to the mother board and got an adapter to plug the power supply into the IDE extra power slot. I turned on the drive in my BIOS and then formated it in the disk manager (in computer management).

Anyone who has any experience with any of the following issues I'd love to hear your thoughts. Anyone have any idea if it has to do with the specs of the drive verus my computer or the fact I'm running RAID 1 ? OR do I possible install the wrong type of drive

Problems:

1) When I boot up it now takes about 2-3 minutes to boot up however before it only took about 1 minute. Anyone have any experience with this ?

2) The SEGATE drive shows up under my computer however when I drag a file from my C drive to the SEAGATE drive it copies instead of moves it. I assumed it would do a move as opposed to a copy.

3) If I right click on a file (like a text file on my desktop) and select the "send to" option, all drives (C drive and external firewire 800 terabytes) including the DVD drives but NOT the SEAGATE.

SEAGATE told me the issues were related to the operating system (XP Professional)

proof

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
Let me get this straight:

You have a RAID 1 array with two SATA drives and another SATA drive as an extended partition? I have never messed with the extended partition stuff as I have no use for it. My Raptors are in RAID 0 for my games, my Barracudas are in RAID 1 for my storage. My Cheetah has Windows XP Professional x64 on it. Hmmm... Could you maybe clarify your problem a little bit more?

P.S. Welcome to the forum!

Drifter666

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007
THANKS FOR THE WELCOME !

My problems are as follows:

1) My systems takes about 3 times longer to boot up (from the time I turn it on until the time I get my wallpaper and start bar etc.

2) When I drag files to the new SEAGATE extended drtive it copies them. I assumed they would have been moved as opposed to copied.

3) If you right click a file there is an option called "send to" where you can select a drive or device to move that file to na d the SEAGATE does NOT show up as a choice although all my external USB/Fiirwire drives do show up.

I tried to make it a Primary Partition last night but the drive operated the same way (I changed it back to an extended partition with a logical drive)..

Any idea when you add an extra drive, do the specs need to be similar to that of your existing drive ? My existing RAID 1 drives are 8MB and regular SATA while the SEGATE is 16 and SATA-3 and also has NCCQ.

proof

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
You mean SATA II, not III. I would get a low level format tool and format the Seagate within Windows. After that I would make it an extended partition. I will do some research later but for now why don't you right-click and select "cut" and then paste it onto the new drive.

Drifter666

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007
The cut and paste does work.

I meant my computer has regular SATA but the SEAGATE DRIVE can transfer data up to 3Gb/s where I dont think my computer transfers data that quickly since irts a couple years old.

Thanks for any help you can provide !

Drifter666

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007
The box says optimal NCQ perfromance requires a seial atat NCQ controller - which I dont have.

The box also says 48 bit addressing is required to exceed the 137 gb capacaity limitation imposed by 28 bit addressing. My windows XP is 32 bit. The drive is 300GB and shows up as 279 so I dont know if this is an issue. I dont think so.

The model number is ST3300622AS-rk

http://www.seagate.com/ww/v/index.j...32b010VgnVCM100000dd04090aRCRD&reqPage=Model#

proof

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
The drive is rated at 3Gb/s but that doesn't mean it HAS to work that fast. If your board doesn't support SATA II speeds, it will use it as fast as it can.

monst0r

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2007
your drive will NEVER hit even the maximum theoretical SATA I speeds..unless you have RAID. why do you need an extended partition? why not just make it its own little partition so it can be happy :p

Drifter666

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007
I tried that but had the same problems. I just bought a western digital drive without NCQ to see if its the drive or my computer

Drifter666

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007
Same issues with Western Digital drive when I made it a primary partion. Problems must be due to Windows XP or the fact I'm adding a 3 non raid drive to a computer that already has RAID 1.