Computer shuts off when i try to burn !!!!

Reddcoop

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007
ok basics first,
5200+x2 , 2gb st ram, 8800gts 640mb, 700watt thermatake PS, 250gb hd, lite-on 20x dvd burner, sony 20x dvd burner,

When i go to burn a cd or dvd computer shuts off after about 5 seconds . No blue screen nothing just shuts off. Have replaced dvd rw , put in three Power Supplies, changed cables, changed video card to 7600gt (in case of to much power). changed ram. I am computer tech and have never seen this PLEASE HELP !!!!! Also put new hard drive with vista in does same thing. Can run oblivion for hours without issue.

Reddcoop

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007
I am using nero 7.5 also tried 6.3 also use clonedvd and clonecd. does not matter which program i use. even went to secondary drive that i have vista on and used the windows media center to burn still shuts down. doesnot restart just like i turned the switch off !!

4745454b

Titan
Do you have one drive or two? Is it jumpered correctly? If the OS changes but the problem remains, then its a harddware issue. I'm guessing either a defective power plug plugged into the back of the drive (try switching power plugs) or the drive itself is bad. Try putting it into a friends machine and see if it happens there. Or just go buy a new one and see.

Reddcoop

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007
Yes i have tried the parts in another computer and swapped still does same thing only thing not switched is motherboard and cpu. but it only does it when i burn not any other time. even changed cables.

sailer

Splendid
Sometimes bad processors happen. I one time had the experience of a brand new FX cpu failing out of the box. As to why it can run Oblivion but not a cd burner, Oblivion mainly loads the video card, while the cd burner loads the cpu.