side panel ---> cooling disaster

The_Rev

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
Note: If you want to cut to the chase, start below the graph.

Hi. My name is Rev, and I have a cooling problem.

Everybody: Hi, Rev.

I guess it all started about nine months ago, but it seems like only yesterday... I was the proud new owner of a 3D Aurora chassis from Gigabyte. Ah, what a sight it was to behold! How the light danced on its smooth, black aluminium skin... How the soft blue glow of its fans beckoned even least-savvied among us to bathe in its subtle radiance... And, oh, the side panel! The beautifully transparent side panel! How it provided each witness with a glimpse into the PC's soul!

Yes, the case had it all -- it was stylish without sacrificing a shred of functionality, it was an air-moving monster with one 120mm intake fan in the front and two 120mm exhaust fans in the rear, and the plastic-windowed side panel kept fan noise in and dust out. I couldn't have been happier with my purchase.

I assembled all my components in their new home, including my D805, which was essentially a place holder until the release of the mighty Conroe. Pairing it with a Zalman 9500, I had little trouble of hitting a stable overclock of 3.75GHz.

For months, I never once concerned myself with the temperature of the chip. Perhaps I was brash, or reckless, or both. After all, I had a CPU I didn’t intend to keep for long and a case designed to keep parts cool. If everything was running stable, why should I concern myself with something so, seemingly, trifling as temperature?

Fast forward nine months… I’ve since traded in my D805 for an E6600. Since December, I’ve been satisfied with my moderate 20% overclock (2880MHz), but now I wish to push the envelope. Unlike my 805 before it, I do actually care about the lifespan of my 6600, so I recently installed Speedfan to keep track of temps.

Alarmingly, (now with a 25% OC, i.e., 3GHz), I found temperatures to be at 40C idling, and hitting 65C under load. My initial thought was, how could this be happening?! My cooler and case are much too reputable to allow a 3GHz-1.2V-65nm part to hit that range.

I thought perhaps my heatsink was not properly seated, but with the help of my fellow forumzers, I discovered, much to my dismay, that my beautiful Aurora was to blame!

The clear plastic side panel window, the one that kept fan noise from reaching my ears, dust from reaching my components, and displayed geek eye candy to the masses, was also severely restricting my airflow. You see, the 3D Aurora was originally designed with an aluminum mesh side panel window which would provide the two rear fans with plenty of cool air to suck into the case. The front intake fan alone, which is obstructed by hard drives, simply can’t meet the air demands of the case.

Here’s a shot of Speedfan’s temp graph at each stage of the game:

speedfanimage.jpg

(Note: Though the green line is labled ‘CPU,’ the red and gray lines are the temps of each core… I have no idea what ‘CPU’ is actually measuring…)

The leftmost plateau is the temp when under 100% load with the side panel closed (approx. 65C). The next plateau is after the side panel is removed while the 100% load is maintained (approx. 51C). As you can see the change is pretty remarkable once the case innards are allowed to breathe properly. When load is removed, temps hit the floor, bottoming out at 25C. (Not bad considering ambient temp is 21C!) And finally, you see idle temps climb back up to 37C when the side panel is replaced.

Ok, so after all these months, I can finally admit I have a cooling problem. But I really do want to change! I want to get better.

I’ve decided that I can deal with a little noise and dust if it means my cpu will stay 12-14C cooler. I want to replace my gorgeous clear plastic window with an efficient, albeit less attractive, aluminum mesh panel. However, I’ve scoured the internets, including Gigabyte’s website, looking for someone who sells the mesh alone, but my efforts have been fruitless.

I guess this is a ridiculously long post considering I really only have one question… I hope you’ve stayed with me... Here it is:

Does anyone know where I can get one of these mesh windows for this case?

I guess worst case scenario I would have to try to make one myself... and, trust me, nobody wants that.

Thanks,
Rev

prong

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
I have eleven (11) 120 mm fans in my case. Try an 80mm to 120mm fan adapter and swap out as many smaller fans as possible for the larger, more effieient 120mm fan variety.

The_Rev

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
Thanks for the relpy, but I'm not sure what you mean as all of my case fans are 120mm. Are you suggesting I add 8 more 120mm fans? I have no idea where they would all go...

The_Rev

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
First of all cut the story telling and just get straight to the point. I'm sorry but it's just too long to read through. If you want help and want some good resposes then you need to shorten the post. Just hit that little edit button and cut it down the the important stuff.

Fair enough.

prong

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2007
The air flow should be front intake with rear exhaust (preferably 120 mm fans). Side fan should be intake, top fan should be exhaust. The Zalman is great, be sure it blows air to the back of the case. I have used these in a pinch to cool the center of my case. This has an extension arm with a 90 mm fan which extends out to the center of your case over the CPU:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835118204

One other thought. Your OC is high. I'm sure that has something to do with it.

The_Rev

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
Thanks -- I do try to keep a pretty clean case. Cables stay tucked away in unused drive bays for the most part. I do feel like the 2 exhaust fans should be more than enough and my real problem is not enough cool air is coming into the case through the partially obstucted intake fan... Drilling holes in the plastic is an option, I suppose, though that would be a last resort.

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
get a jig for a drill, cut a nice round hole in the side window so you can stick a 80mm fan on the inside of it then drill 4 smaller holes for screws, works a charm.

orangegator

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2007
Thanks -- I do try to keep a pretty clean case. Cables stay tucked away in unused drive bays for the most part. I do feel like the 2 exhaust fans should be more than enough and my real problem is not enough cool air is coming into the case through the partially obstucted intake fan... Drilling holes in the plastic is an option, I suppose, though that would be a last resort.
Actually, drilling holes in the plastic panel sounds like a great idea. Just cover the panel with protective masking tape. Draw your holes pattern on it with a marker. Drill the holes and then remove the tape. Sounds like a fun project and you could design any patten you want.

AeroB1033

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2007
Until you get this squared away, just leave the side panel off. I'm serious. A lot of hardcore overclockers swear by having an open case, and it's true that you have to have some pretty serious side cooling to improve upon the temperatures you'll get from just taking off the side.

Also, can you move your hard drives out of the way of the intake fan? Unless they're Raptors in RAID you probably don't need them that cool.

I once added a side fan to an Antec super-lanboy. It's easy.
Buy a 120mm fan of a suitable speed, and a fan filter kit.
1) Put masking tape over the desired area. (both sides to prevent scratching and cracks)
2) Mark the outline of a circle using a cd. It's just the right size for a 120mm fan. (double check me on this)
3) Mark where the mounting holes go.
4) Drill a 1/4 or 1/2 inch pilot hole in the center.
5) Using a sabre saw, start at the pilot hole, cut out the circle. It doesn't have to be exact or too even.
6) Drill the 4 holes for the fan.
7) Smooth out the burrs with a file, and remove the masking tape
8) Mount the 120mm fan, preferably using stainless steel nuts and bolts, and the filter holder.
9 ) Attaching the filter and holder will cover up any messy hole cutting.
10) You may need a longer fan header to reach a power point and still be able to open the side.
-------------------------------------------------------------------
Also, You might try a slot cooler below the vga card/s. My case temps dropped nicely with a 8800gts when I installed one. The idea is to get the hot air from the vga card out of the case, instead of letting it recirculate.

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
The very first thing I do with EVERY new case is remove any fan guard covering the exit fans.
This is good for up to a 70% boost in exit airflow if the fan guard is ANY type of perferated metal.

I know what your thinking "thats not up to 70% less metal removed!"...I don't want to get into the math and dynamics of airflow but that is what it can work out to.
EDITED: It has more to do with non-exited air disrupting the flow than the size of the holes.

On cases that I can't just unscrew the guards like on a CM Stacker (TO-1)....I use a tool called a nibbler.

Your best air cooling also has to do with "proper" air flow and that is simply to move the air in ONE dirrect path in and out without any turns.
A side fan defeats this by swirling the hot air around inside the air flow...and newer GFX cards now often use up two slots so they can blow the hot air out the back dirrctly.

Un-used front slots can have the covers replaced with those made of wire mesh to aid in that "one path" concept if your case is not already made that way.

If you really want a mesh side pnl rather than plastic....visit the hardware store and spend about $4-7.

I agree with ZOldDude. Get all of your fans blowing in the same direction (if possible, I don't know what your case is like). I have only 1 120MM in the front (in), 1 80 MM in the side that has a duct to blow directly on the CPU fan (I have Ultra/Zalman 120MM CPU cooler that is mushroom shaped, so this works extremely well), 1 80MM in the back (out), and 1 120MM in the PSU (out). This keeps my FX-60 (OC'ed to 2.8GHz) at upper 20's idle and 45C max (both cores running full). Normal game temps are in the low-mid 30's. If you have a side fan w/o a duct or a rear fan blowing in, it merely slows/disrupts airflow. I have two hard drives infront of my 120MM front fan, and I can feel cool air from it all the way back by the graphics cards, so they shouldn't be an issue.

The_Rev

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
I appreciate all the suggestions, but I still don't know what to do... I don't really have the means to pull off any sort of case mod. So in absence of finding a mesh side fitting for this particular case, maybe I should just consider removing the side panel during cpu-intensive tasks...

hotshotmedic

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2007
have you given any thought to investing in a water cooling kit? one that comes with all necessary hardware? it may be a fun project if your willing to do the research and invest the time.

The_Rev

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
I've certainly read up plenty on the all-parts-included watercooling packages from Gigabyte and Koolance and some others. In the past I've considered taking the plunge, though I always decided I wasn't quite ready to make that sort of $$$/time commitment. Plus, I feel like a cool 3.4GHz overclock should be achievable with my Zalman, given I have proper airflow.

Seems like it would be fun, though.

hotshotmedic

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2007
if your not ready for the time/money/commitment to cool your cpu farther then it doesn't sound like your truly serious or concerned about it.

The_Rev

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
If you're not ready for the time/money/commitment to cool your cpu farther, then it doesn't sound like you're truly serious or concerned about it.

Interesting take, though I think one can be serious about finding an easy, cheap solution. We're not all made of money and spare time.

I've been running my machine with the side panel off the case ever since I discovered this problem, so, I assure you, I am concerned.

I'll reiterate that my original question was, 'does anyone know if gigabyte sells the mesh window separately, and if so, where can I find it?'

randomizer

Champion
I was going to do a post on this problem myself and possible ways of fixing it. It appears to be a vacuum effect caused by too much exhaust and too little intake. Sure it has lots of big fans, but the front intake fan is blocked by the hard drive cage and hard drives themselves, so little air enters the case to replace the air being sucked out. Its a fundamental flaw in the design of the case. It only affects the one with the perspex side panel AFAIK. I am not sure about the newer model of the case, I will have to look at its design.

The_Rev

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
Ha... type 'gigabyte side mesh panel' and go to the first link...

Yeah, google was actually my first stop ("I’ve scoured the internets, including Gigabyte’s website, looking for someone who sells the mesh alone, but my efforts have been fruitless."). What's interesting is that they seem to sell the side panel with the clear window seperately, but not the mesh window.

randomizer

Champion
There isnt much space to suck air in by default thats the problem. Thats why having the side panel only open by a few centimetres makes a huge temp drop. It happened for my dad and the OP, both with the same cpu and case and similar temps. Its a shame, coz its such a nice looking case.

brer_squid

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
I haven't seen the Aurora 3D in person, so I am basing my advice on pictures from Newegg, caveat lector.

I think what was happening was that your Zalman 9500 was sucking its intake air through the side panel grill. Now it's trying to use the air that comes through what looks like a very restricted intake.

Here's some low tech, low tool, low cost stuff to try.

1. Pull and clean any filter on the intake fan.
2. What does that black plastic box in the drive bay do? Try rearranging your drives and cables to maximize airflow through the drive bay (unblock the fan if blocked). It looks to me like a drive in the topmost and bottommost slots would give you a nice channel through the middle.
3. Try building a cardboard air duct to direct air from the intake fan and drive bay area to your Zalman 9500.
4. You could just buy some screen door mesh from you local hardware store. That plus some sheet metal screw and you'll get out for about five bucks. You can cut the mesh with scissors so you don't have to buy shears.
5. Slightly tricky, but cheap and no new tools:
Turn one of the back side exhaust fans around so it blows on your CPU cooler. (This should be the fan that has the straightest shot at the cooler.) Turn your cooler around so it's not fighting the fan. Add a cardboard baffle between the two exhaust fans so the air doesn't take the shortcut and miss the CPU cooler.

The_Rev

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2006
I don't know why I didn't try this earlier, but I simply removed the intake fan filter (after already trying cleaning it). It doesn't result in the same level of temp drops as taking the side panel off, but, man, it does make quite a difference!

Check out these temps:

speedfanimage3.jpg

These plateaus are the same as those in my original speedfan fig (i.e., from left to right, load--panel-on, load--panel-off, idle--panel-off, idle--panel-on).

About a 7C drop at load -- not bad!

So that's a step in the right direction, at least.