shawty_82

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
I've had no end of problems with 2 Gainward graphics cards now, one being a 7950GT which I returned due to it being mullered, and now my 7900GT is misbehaving, leaving luminous coloured splodges on the screen whilst playing more modern games.

I think its unlikely that I'd unlucky enough to have a 2nd duff Gainward card (or maybe not!!!), so the only thing I can think is my PSU isn't up to it, being a 400Watt. I'm trying a 650 later on today, but beyond that can anybody suggest anything that may be useful in sorting this problem out?

Incidentally, I have an Asus Crosshair mainboard....are there any known problems with this mobo and Nvidia GFX cards?

Two things : What type of psu do you have?or better yet, how many amps on the 12 volt rail? and two, do the games start out like this? or do they eventually start artifacting? Could be a heat issue as well

shawty_82

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
Hi,

I've got a normal unbranded 400 watt PSU, 18Amps on the 12 volt rail. Having run the neat little Wattage calculator linked on this forum, it reckons I've got ample power based on what my PC consists of....what do you think?

The games started out fine (if a little more laggy than I'm used to) then developed little luminous splodges, which then became larger, then artifacts were shooting off in all directions. It only seems to happen in more modern games, for instance, something like Stalker which is based on an older engine seems to run fine, whereas Silent Hunter IV experiences all the problems listed above.

THought I'd also mention, to touch the GFX card, it at no point feels like its running too hot, even when its having the granny knocked out of it

nightscope

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
Hi,

I've got a normal unbranded 400 watt PSU, 18Amps on the 12 volt rail. Having run the neat little Wattage calculator linked on this forum, it reckons I've got ample power based on what my PC consists of....what do you think?

The games started out fine (if a little more laggy than I'm used to) then developed little luminous splodges, which then became larger, then artifacts were shooting off in all directions. It only seems to happen in more modern games, for instance, something like Stalker which is based on an older engine seems to run fine, whereas Silent Hunter IV experiences all the problems listed above.

THought I'd also mention, to touch the GFX card, it at no point feels like its running too hot, even when its having the granny knocked out of it

So it only has one 12+ rail?