running 32 bit apps on a 64 bit os ?

kenp

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2004
hi,

i am planning on building a new puter in march after vista comes out and was wondering if i can run some of my old 32 bit apps on the 64 bit os. i know i will need 64 bit drivers for all my hardware. thanks

fattony

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
yes you will be able to run 32bit apps. on the 64bit version of vista
just like xp x64 platform, there is a 32bit subsystem which allows you to use WOW (windows on windows) technology to run a 32bit apps. within a 64bit o/s

the file system and registry both have 64bit and 32bit locations defined for this purpose to provide backwards compatability

the only you can't do is run 16bit apps on vista as it's no longer supported, if you're curious, just get a hold of the beta and play around with it, if you have any 64bit hardware...my guess is the next release of windows after vista (blackcomb) won't support 32bit anymore...but we're talking 2010 or something

kenp

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2004
FatTony and sailormonz,

thanks for the info and the link. now i know at least some of my software will work and wont have to spend a boat load of cash to replace it all.

p.s. is there a way to tell if its 16 bit ? if not i will just wing it when it comes time. thanks again

fattony

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
no problem

i'm sure there is an easier way of doing this, but this is how i always check, we can use the sysedit.exe or command.com applications which are built in on the xp o/s as an example

launch either one from the run box
check your task manager, if you see a new process there named ntvdm.exe, it means it's using a 16bit subsystem (NT Virtual Dos Machine), that's how i tell if it's a 16bit app., so do the same thing with some of your apps. that you're curious about

a lot of the time you'll notice the app. may not be 16bit, but they use an old 16bit installer, like old InstallShield versions, so that may create some roadblocks too, but overall, not many 16bit apps. left on the market