Pentium D on D925XECV2

wildlaurel

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
hi guys, i intend to upgrade my cpu to Pentium D but there is no official support for D's on 925XE mobo from intel. however i have read that 925s support dual cores unofficially. has anybody got any idea if Ds would work with the mobo, any experiances. i will appreciate the help!

wildlaurel

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
actually a hardware reviewer from a local forum told me there was unofficial support for dual cores with new bios update on 925's but not on 915's.
i tried but didnt work without the bios update. when i tried updating the bios, the mobo went dead in between and had to sent in for warranty..
so how can you say for sure it would work out..

wildlaurel

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
With the release of the Pentium D 840, users realized a major drawback to dual core processors, the lack of support with the 915 and 925 chipsets, so those of us who shelled out upwards of $200 a few months ago for a high end 925XE board are basically SOL.

SOL=smiling out loud right/

so basically my 925 ""XE"" has an edge and will support the D's..!

i am so very happy!

xjustice09x

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
With the release of the Pentium D 840, users realized a major drawback to dual core processors, the lack of support with the 915 and 925 chipsets, so those of us who shelled out upwards of $200 a few months ago for a high end 925XE board are basically SOL.

SOL=smiling out loud right/

so basically my 925 ""XE"" has an edge and will support the D's..!

i am so very happy!

What that review is saying is that Pentium D's are not supported by the 925 chipset, not even the XE version.

The sentence after what you quoted says As of right now, only the 945 and 955 chipsets will support dual core processors.

wildlaurel

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
no ways!

the article says that 915's and 925'd dont have official support for D's but the later 925XE's support D's unofficially!

please correct me if i am wrong, this is getting confusing for me..

xjustice09x

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
those of us who shelled out upwards of $200 a few months ago for a high end 925XE board are basically SOL.

I'm not going to type the exact transalation of SOL, but basically its saying people that bought the 925XE are out of luck. Pentium D was not supported by that chipset.

Its possible that since that review was written a bios update came out that would support Pentium D, but at that time it was not supported. I haven't read anywhere that someone has been able to run a pentium D on a 925 board.

joefriday

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Its possible that since that review was written a bios update came out that would support Pentium D, but at that time it was not supported. I haven't read anywhere that someone has been able to run a pentium D on a 925 board.

To me, the basic premise as to why the i915/925 chipsets cannot run Pentium Ds is not any sort of BIOS limitation, but rather a lack of required technology in the chipset itself. To the best of my knowledge, the i915/925 chipsets lack the arbiter needed to allow multiple cores to communicate and share memory over the front side bus. This would be the reason why the older 865/875 chipsets support Pentium D, because they have an arbiter, which is the exact reason why Intel removed the arbiter from the subsequent 915/925 chipsets; the 865/875 chipsets found themselves placed into low-cost 3rd party Xeon server boards, undercutting Intel's profit margin of their higher-priced proper Xeon chipsets.

wildlaurel

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
i cant believe intel would do such a stupid thing with the high-end 925's. the 925 northbridge can handle the HT enabled CPU's upto 1066 FSB P4 EE's. so i can only wonder why wouldnt the HT tech need an arbiter, since "2 virtual cores" in HT enabled pro's are pretty much similar to dual core operation. besides even if both the cores cant be treated, at least one core should show up and function like the stone age P4's..
i am just frustrated.

tik

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2005
Xjustice? I gave up since I saw his 1st response to the article I provided. Any uneducated people can easily understand this article. To me dumb is ok but rude is not worth wasting our time. I did waste my time since I read his 1st post.

1Tanker

Splendid
Apr 28, 2006
Xjustice? I gave up since I saw his 1st response to the article I provided. Any uneducated people can easily understand this article. To me dumb is ok but rude is not worth wasting our time. I did waste my time since I read his 1st post.
Yeah, he doesn't want to take no for an answer. :x