Sign in with
Your question
Closed

All folders read only

Last response: in Windows XP
October 15, 2006 1:47:24 AM

I have a really weird question.
All of the folders on my hard drive show up as read only(none of the files do though). All of my programs work except running hldsupdatetool to make a dedicated source server when I get a connection error. If i uncheck the read only, it immediately returns. I also tried moving hldsupdatetool to a flash drive to only have the same problem. I also tried starting in safe mode and was still unable to make anything not read only. Help any help appreciated.

More about : folders read

October 16, 2006 3:44:15 PM

As for the folders being read only, that is not a problem. All of mine are too. Thats normal.
October 16, 2006 7:57:44 PM

But it is a problem because it is causing certain programs such as itunes, hldsupdatetool (half life dedicated server), and xfire to not work
Related resources
October 16, 2006 8:23:40 PM

I checked my work computer and my home computer and all folders are read only. So that is not your problem. Its got to be something else.
Itunes works fine for me with the folder read only.
Have you scanned for spyware and viruses?
Have you tried reinstalling the software?
October 17, 2006 2:07:44 AM

Quote:

Have you scanned for spyware and viruses?
Have you tried reinstalling the software?

yes and yes
October 18, 2006 1:25:05 AM

the read only checkbox you're referring to is there by default on every folder that gets created in NTFS, this is an "attribute", not a "permission"

i suggest you check your C drive's security properties to make sure there is nothing defined for the Deny permission column for every group part of ACL (Access Control List)

also compare your C drive's permissions to another machine to make sure you're not missing any administrator or system permissions

once you have the C drive's permissions straightened out, you can click on advanced in the security tab and force inheritance of those proper permissions down to all files and subfolders below by checking the "replace bla bla bla" box, when you ok that it will take some to propagate

make sure you have the right permissions when you do this man, otherwise you'll deny yourself access from changing those permissions again and you're basically screwed, so if you're not sure, then don't do this

but i think you're barking up the wrong tree here, those applications should work fine with the default permissions...
October 20, 2006 3:13:51 AM

What is showing your the read-only attribute on your folders? Is it just in the folder properties? If so, when you look at a folder it'll show the read-only attrib checked with a grey check mark (not a black checkmark). When its grey it doesn't mean its readonly.

To see if its actually read-only view the folder in details mode and right click on a column header and check Attributes. If you see an R in the folder's attribute column then its read-only. If you don't see an R then its not read only.
October 20, 2006 3:47:12 AM

aye that's correct, you might see an A for archive and an R for ready only in the details listing view, that determines the final attribute set for that file/folder
November 12, 2008 4:07:36 PM

Hi,

I've got the same problem. All of my Win XP Home folders are read-only and I can't change the attribute right clicking the folder. I have no problem cutting the folders, but windows doesn't permit my C# codes to access the folders.

It might be happening after I deleted a virus manually (the recycler one, by removing the autorun.inf from my drives and registry), defragmented my hard disk and canceled it in the middle of defragment, or deleting another virus by removing the desktop.ini file from my drives and folders.

I have tried many solutions. Using attrib -r +s, changing registry value and setting admin permission for the user. I even tried "sfc /scannow" command and repaired my win XP using it's installation CD. I formatted and installed another win XP on another partition of my hard disk and the folders are still read-only on all partitions.

I don't want to format all my hard disk and install my win again ├žause I have to defend my thesis in a month and I don't wanna loose my installed programs and waste a day installing them again.

Please please help me. Thanks a lot in advance
--Chagh
Anonymous
August 21, 2009 10:15:09 AM

yes pa i too have the same problem, check the folder permissions using some external tools (i check it form treesize professional 5). then try to remove the ownership from "STF" to "adminstrator". It will resolve your problem.
August 23, 2011 4:47:16 PM

goorioles747 said:
I have a really weird question.
All of the folders on my hard drive show up as read only(none of the files do though). All of my programs work except running hldsupdatetool to make a dedicated source server when I get a connection error. If i uncheck the read only, it immediately returns. I also tried moving hldsupdatetool to a flash drive to only have the same problem. I also tried starting in safe mode and was still unable to make anything not read only. Help any help appreciated.

:o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o  :o 
I fixed this issue by going into the "Sharing and Security Settings" for the folder and checking "Share this folder on the network" AND "allow network users to change my files". I was also logged into both computers using the same user name.
:bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce:  :bounce: 
August 23, 2011 10:01:54 PM

This topic has been closed by Area51reopened
!