Recovery console

DXsocko007

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
So im working on repairing my Dads HDD he had 61 viruses and i have used avast! and it removed them all. but Windows still does nto start when i put his HDD back in his PC i tried to formatt but it gives me a blue screen. so i went into revocery console (pressing r after you put in XP) and it askes me what windows i want to access so i press 1 and im in but it leaves me with

C:\Windows>

how can i get it to reinstall XPs files without formatting it cause everytime i try to start the pc it says

C:Windows\system32\Config\SYSTEM cannot be found. all i want is to repair the drive.

So what do i need to type in the recovery console to solve this?

i cant access safe mode or anything its pretty messed up but if i got XP installed properly i know it will work thanks!

hubbardt

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
You could try reinstalling Windows ontop of the exisiting installation (just accept defaults when it asks wheere to install Windows to .... probably C:\Windows). This will not lose you any data but make sure to reapply all security fixes (windows update)

Look at this link click me !

woshitudou

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
Looks like your system registry is gone. You'll have to boot up off the Windows CD and reinstall. You won't be able to do anything in the recovery console unless your registry or a parent folder was dragged elsewhere and can be put back by copying it to the proper place.

Blakestone

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2006
The repair console should be able to fix this. I used it once because a linux install corrupted my windows install. (I think it attacked it but who knows.) It looks just like windows is installing. It isnt. Its just replaceing the install files.

Chenmaster

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
Instead of hitting R at the first screen, hit enter. It will list your windows installations. Hit R at this screen. This will perform a repair which pretty much fixes your windows installation. No data will be lost but some applications may have to be reinstalled.

If you can get to the Windows desktop (even safe mode), another method might work. Click start -> Run and enter sfc /scannow. This method is slightly less intrusive than the one mentioned above.

fattony

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
do sfc /purgecache first before you do sfc /scannow

but this usually won't help, as your cd does not have the same binary versions of the o/s (since it's been patched and service packed) so it may cause mismatch issues