rick_h

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
Folks,

As a way of circumventing MS license on XP, I took a nonfunctioning Sony computer from a family member and retrieved the XP Window Home Edition license decal (on the case). The computer is 5 years old and pre SP1 or 2. It came with a Back-up CD, that is non conducive to the new hardware. Long story short; I installed XP using a new system disc with SP2 and tried to use the original license number. No dice!!! I'm not much into interpreting legal crap, but I feel that if I have a legitimate license number, I should be entitled to reload the operating system on new hardware, just like I have the right to move a piece of hardware from one machine to the next.

Your thoughts are welcomed!

Rick H

sturm

Splendid
You dont 'own' the software from an oem computer. Basicly your just leasing it. You cant transfer the license from an oem computer to a new one. The keys are made to prevent this. You'll need to buy a new license for the new machine.

rick_h

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2006
You dont 'own' the software from an oem computer. Basicly your just leasing it. You cant transfer the license from an oem computer to a new one. The keys are made to prevent this. You'll need to buy a new license for the new machine.

Thanks for the clarification. You just reminded me again why I don't like buying a brand name computer with bundled software. Off topic- The only thing in this Sony Vaio PC that was made by Sony was the floppy drive; even both CD and DVD drive were ASUS/Pioneer.

Rick

fattony

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
yeah with an OEM CD you can only install windows on that hardware using their restore discs or identical hardware, but your product key will only work with their custom build of the o/s, retail CDs have a different pool of product keys assigned to them