RIAA cracking down?

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
OK, I just read this article: http://www.tgdaily.com/2006/10/16/riaa_suit/ about the Recording Industry Association of America (RIAA) filing a suit against somebody just because he had media files on his computer (which turned out to be 100% legit).

After reading this, I am wondering: how are they collecting information about these PCs? Do they have software like Sony's rootkit running when you listen to a CD on your computer? Isn't this some sort of violation of our privacy?

I'm just annoyed because: I have legit FLAC files on my PC (after all my CDs were stolen a year ago, I back everything up with FLAC). Is the RIAA going to sue me because of my legit media? This is a bunch of BS.

What do you people think?

niz

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2003
Wow its going to be tough for you if you have flac files made from any of your CD's that were stolen, as if the RIAA grab you you'd need to provide evidence that you bought/own the CD.

Yes I know its not fair...

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Well, "fortunately" I only started backing my stuff up after my CDs were stolen and I haven't dealt with any theft since.

Anyway, I think I'm starting to answer my own question... this link: http://www.eff.org/IP/P2P/RIAAatTWO_FINAL.pdf has tons of info on the previous lawsuits. I especially liked the following quote. :x
Among those sued was Brianna Lahara, a twelve-year-old girl living with her single mother in public housing in New York City. In order to settle the case, Brianna was forced to apologize publicly and pay $2,000.

bacis

Distinguished
May 29, 2005
hi.
i think none in this world exist without some media files in his pc.
it is absolute normal.
if there are no media files on pc for what use are they ?????????
as for cd's with drm by sony does not allow you to listen the files on the 2 pc
withuot a license.
which is been accuariet automaticaly throw the internet an giving the host (of the licenceany info he probably needs)
about location ip etc.

dean7

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
Well, there are other uses for PCs than media... I mean, I guess it depends on what kind of media you are talking about. I was specifically referring to music.

But, you're right. I think that nearly everybody who owns a PC has at least a couple songs on there. Whether they are legit or not is another question. But, you can't go around starting lawsuits against everybody that has an MP3 on their HDD.

It's like those DVD-sniffing dogs. The movie industry is trying to get them in airports to sniff out everybody who has a pirated DVD in their bag. The only thing is: they can't tell a pirated DVD from a legit DVD or CD by smell (AFAIK). Does anybody else see a small problem in their demented little plan?