Sign in with
Your question

Question about AMD Athlon 3800 processor?

Last response: in Overclocking
April 14, 2007 4:41:02 PM

When I ordered my E 521 from Dell it said the processor speed was 2.4 Ghz. When I look at " view system information " on the computer it say's Athlon 64, 3800+, ( 985 Mhz) instead of 2.4 Ghz. Can someone tell me if something is wrong? I was expecting it to tell me my processor speed was 2.4 Ghz like on my other computer.
April 14, 2007 4:56:19 PM

Nothing is wrong with your computer, the cool and quiet mode in activated.
April 14, 2007 5:22:13 PM

Disable it in the bios if you want the chip to run at full speed all the time. I don't see the point in it for a desktop really.
Related resources
April 14, 2007 5:26:44 PM

Quote:
Nothing is wrong with your computer, the cool and quiet mode in activated.

Sorry I don't know what cool and quiet mode is. Does it affect the processor speed while playing games? Can it be turned off or is it even nescessary to worry about it.

Last of all if I want to try to overclock, how do I get into BIOS? Thanks for any help you can provide.
April 14, 2007 5:31:08 PM

It's either del or F1 depending on the motherboard. probably del button when the system first boots up a message appears saying press x button to enter bios. But if you don't even know where the bios is, I would recommend you get someone computer savy to do it for you as you could do some serious harm in there.
a c 87 à CPUs
a b À AMD
a b K Overclocking
April 14, 2007 6:07:18 PM

Dude, you got a Dell. Good luck finding any overclocking settings in there...
April 14, 2007 7:51:59 PM

I'm sure you're right.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 14, 2007 10:10:27 PM

Don't worry, even if you can find the BIOS on your Dell, you won't be able to hurt your computer. :lol:  They give you so few options in the BIOS that I would be suprised if C&Q was one. I disabled the C&Q for my OC'ed FX-60, but it probably wouldn't hurt if your CPU isn't OC'ed to leave C&Q on. The CPU speed should go up to full speed when an application or game is running. If you want to check, run a processor intensive app like a virus scan then recheck processor speed.
April 14, 2007 10:37:23 PM

you might be able to disable it by changing your power scheme setting. it might be set to laptop/portable right now... changing it to always on 'should' allow it to run at full speed, even when youre not doing anything (higher voltages, higher clock speed, higher temperatures)

your cpu speed runs at 100% when you start doing cpu intensive tasks, otherwise itll just run at 50% speed and lower voltages

download amds dashboard demo if you want to see the cpu voltage changes, cpu usages, and temperature
April 15, 2007 12:45:48 AM

To turn it off you go to the power schemes and change it to always on. For cool and quiet to work it must be active in BIOS and you need to set the power scheme to minial power usage.

Cool and Quiet lowers the clock speed when you are not using the cpu. Right when you need it the CPU will go to full speed.. like in milliseconds..

If you are running a game it will make your cpu run at 2.4 .. There is no reason to deacitivate it.

It save power and lowers the heat.
April 15, 2007 1:51:45 AM

YES ITS A 2.4 IT DEPENDS ON HOW YOUR BIOS READS
April 15, 2007 1:54:47 AM

EASIEST WAY JUST RIGHT CLICK MY COMPUTER GO TO PROPERTIES AND IT WILL TELL U
April 15, 2007 3:50:59 AM

I turned off the cool and quiet but after reading this post I guess I could turn it back on.
April 15, 2007 11:12:07 AM

Up to yourself chief. I never turn it on, it slows down your system start up a little bit and quite frankly my cpu never goes above 45 anyway on stock cooling so it's not like heat is a major issue, the power consumption difference is negligble for most people. I don't like the idea of paying for a machine and having it being lazy half the time, it's like paying cops to eat donuts.
April 15, 2007 1:15:10 PM

Quote:
I turned off the cool and quiet but after reading this post I guess I could turn it back on.

Leave it on unless you overclock.

Less power = less CO2 = better planet
April 16, 2007 12:26:58 AM

Quote:
SwampDog wrote:

Leave it on unless you overclock.

Less power = less CO2 = better planet

True. I even have mine on my overclock. I dont see any harm?
April 16, 2007 5:16:07 AM

you can leave CnQ on when you OC, it just tends to cause stability issues is all. if your system is completely stable when OCing and leaving CnQ enabled, theres no reason to disable it then, except for personal preference really
April 16, 2007 6:05:25 AM

I use an HP with a X2 4200 at work, C&Q was keeping the Proc at half speed even when I was using Photoshop and Premiere Pro. I turned that crap off.
April 16, 2007 6:54:57 AM

normally, when you go above a certain percent cpu usage, the cpu speed will kick up from 50%, to 90%, then 100%. if it wasnt changing as it should have, it could have been a different setting that was limiting it, beyond just standard CnQ. thats what it sounds like anyhow... either that or you werent using above 50% cpu usage, or whatever the amount needed is
!