Sign in with
Your question

Are these temperatures safe? -- OC noob here

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
April 14, 2007 4:44:49 PM

Hi, this is my first time overclocking, and because it seemed too easy to step my E4300 up to 3 GHZ, I am really scrutinizing the safety of my OC. after reading the entire C2D FAQ and cpu temp guide, I still don't know if I am safe...anyhow I was wondering if ppl can chime in here. My OC SEEMS to be within safe specs, except, that the idle to load on full tat hits 25C, but once in a while when i get to about 10 min full TAT, it spikes o 67 or rarely, 68 degrees. I am using the Tuniq Tower cooler, using TAT to test 100% load, on a Gigabyte P965-DS3 rev 3.3, Stock Vcore. I initially upped the vcore a little as per the C2D OC guide, but I then reduced it back to stock after the OC as it seemed to work fine under stock Vcore conditions. If you need any more info please let this noob know! TIA!!

AT IDLE

TAT 100% after 10 minutes

More about : temperatures safe noob

April 14, 2007 5:46:03 PM

Those temperatures would be about what I would expect to see with your setup. Sixty-Eight degrees is high, but I would say that considering that you are overclocking the processor by 1.2 Ghz, then you are actually doing VERY WELL.

Typically, when overclocking 66% over, as you are currently, most ppl would be using water cooling. I also suggest that if you want to overclock any further on that setup, I would consider a water cooling setup. With those temps, you haven't hit the danger zone yet, but you are uncomfortably close.

But, then again, that's my opinion...take it for what it's worth.
April 14, 2007 10:04:16 PM

I did no plan on futher OC so I am having a hard time justifying water. one thing though.my tuniq tower fins and heat pipes never get hot...just slightly warm to the touch. I realy don't want to remove it to check the thermal greae....is that normal under load on this tuniq beast?
Related resources
April 14, 2007 10:30:06 PM

i dont think the 68c is right because speefan shows 54c which is more reasonable for an overclock like that, especially with your cooler
April 15, 2007 3:35:21 AM

Quote:
I did no plan on futher OC so I am having a hard time justifying water. one thing though.my tuniq tower fins and heat pipes never get hot...just slightly warm to the touch. I realy don't want to remove it to check the thermal greae....is that normal under load on this tuniq beast?

What thermal paste are you using? If it's some cheap stuff, then I would clean it off with some alcohol and put some Arctic Silver 5 on there PROPERLY. Though 3.0 Ghz for an E4300 isn't a very high OC, so the 68 degrees is strange. Did you try any other stress tests?
April 15, 2007 3:44:37 AM

Quote:

What thermal paste are you using? If it's some cheap stuff, then I would clean it off with some alcohol and put some Arctic Silver 5 on there PROPERLY. Though 3.0 Ghz for an E4300 isn't a very high OC, so the 68 degrees is strange. Did you try any other stress tests?

The Tuniq came with its own paste called TO-RK06 Thermal compound. I am considerring getting that Shin Etsu stuff..if it is arctic silver that the TT came with, then I can knock off around 4-5 degrees from what I see in this recent review I read on here about the different pastes. Is there a guide about applying the paste that I have been unable to google? The manual said to apply a thin layer of thermal compound. How thin is thin? lol...I just made sure that the whole surface was covered, mushed it around all of the heat spreader, and installed the TT.

Ideas? should the Shin Etsu be my solution?

Yeah I also ran Orthos, but it seemed to run hotter even, if I remember correctly.
April 15, 2007 4:05:14 AM

I am convinced that I didn't do a great job with the grease spreading...I am going to redo the grease..I think it may be too thick and not even enough from the pictures and such that I see online. I'll report back once I finish that :) 
April 16, 2007 4:37:29 PM

I think those temperatures are safe. They are certainly very good for an e4300. Don't think you are going to get them much lower.
April 19, 2007 7:29:06 AM

Take 15 degrees off what TAT is telling you. Run CoreTemp 0.94 and it will give you a more accurate temp with the e4300. TAT and CT 0.95 assign a tjunction value of 100 instead of 85. Dunno why. The L2 C2Ds have a history of being read high as well.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 22, 2007 10:14:37 AM

Did you test as shown in the Guide?

Quote:
Testing

Vcore = Manual
C1E / EIST = Disabled
CPU Fan = Manual, 100%
Computer Case Fans = Manual 100%
Primary Test = TAT @ 100% 10 Minutes
Alternate Test = Orthos @ P9 Small FFT’s 10 Minutes

Comp 8)
April 22, 2007 1:07:28 PM

Quote:
Take 15 degrees off what TAT is telling you. Run CoreTemp 0.94 and it will give you a more accurate temp with the e4300. TAT and CT 0.95 assign a tjunction value of 100 instead of 85. Dunno why. The L2 C2Ds have a history of being read high as well.

my temps are the same like OP. I have Big Typhoon, e4300@3ghz

Why would TAT be wrong?? It is created by intel, isnt?

CoreTemp shows temps 15 degrees lower than TAT. So does the motherboard and the EasyTune5.

I cant believe that there is no easy answer to the temps mess

UPDATE: hahaha, the CoreTemp shows my frequency as 501*6.....
April 22, 2007 2:24:48 PM

Quote:
It WAS created by Intel, TWO YEARS AGO, for Mobile Pentium M (without IHS), and for use in NOTEBOOK environment. C2Ds were in R&D department then, not in production. And Intel also states that TjunctionMAX temp, programmed in each C2D (and Pentium M) is INVISIBLE BY SOFTWARE, also Intel's software :lol: 
Quote:
CoreTemp shows my frequency as 501*6
Pretty normal for E4300 & CoreTemp 0.94 beta... As I said, it's software, written by humans, with not enough data about these CPUs...
April 22, 2007 5:25:19 PM

Quote:
It WAS created by Intel, TWO YEARS AGO, for Mobile Pentium M (without IHS), and for use in NOTEBOOK environment. C2Ds were in R&D department then, not in production. And Intel also states that TjunctionMAX temp, programmed in each C2D (and Pentium M) is INVISIBLE BY SOFTWARE, also Intel's software :lol: 
Quote:
CoreTemp shows my frequency as 501*6
Pretty normal for E4300 & CoreTemp 0.94 beta... As I said, it's software, written by humans, with not enough data about these CPUs...

Thanks for explaining! (dzieki!)
April 22, 2007 5:56:39 PM

Prosze bardzo - you're welcome :lol: 
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 22, 2007 6:34:19 PM

Quote:
I cant believe that there is no easy answer to the temps mess.

There isn't, however, if you read the Core 2 Duo Temperature Guide, then you may understand why, and how to apply corrections to your rig which are appropriate for your configuration.

Hope this helps,

Comp 8)
April 24, 2007 10:49:10 AM

my e6600 (@3.15ghz) sits at about 30-35c with TAT going
April 24, 2007 11:03:31 AM

Hahaha, what do you mean "going"? Loaded on desktop to be visible during monitoring idle? :lol: 
April 24, 2007 11:21:04 AM

nah man... idle temps are usually about 10-13c. i ran it @ 100% for the 10 minutes... runs a lil hotter atm coz im running the heater in my room.
April 24, 2007 11:34:08 AM

Quote:
nah man... idle temps are usually about 10-13c.

I guess you live in the fridge, right? Buy some thermometer and use it for ambients.

Quote:
i ran it @ 100% for the 10 minutes... runs a lil hotter atm coz im running the heater in my room.

Great, the heater in the fridge... Are you using VapoChill, or liquid nitrogen???

EDIT: OK, I was too ironic... ANY properly measured core/case temp CANNOT be lower than ambient. If it's true that you have 10-13C idle, what is your room ambient temp?
April 24, 2007 12:16:23 PM

now that i think about it.... it does seem a lil low.
TAT is reporting a temp of 25c at idle. but easytune center reports it as 13c and going by what was said about TAT before i thought that easy tune would be about right? may be its the oppisite with mine... maybe TAT is right and easy tune center is 10-15c out of wack. oh and yeah it was very chilli in here before but i dont live in a fridge.
dunno what the room temp was... cold enough to switch the heater on i guess
April 24, 2007 12:26:05 PM

Temps by TAT & ET are not measured (guessed rather) in the same points. TAT is guessing your cores' temps, ET is guessing your CPU temp, (whatever it means for Gigabyte), not cores' temps. Read C2D temps guide sticky on this forum.
April 24, 2007 12:42:12 PM

lol i tried reading the guide before but it was to long so i gave up. ill just assume every thing is sweet unless i start seeing smoke poor out of the side of the case.
would the temps on video cards be more accuriate??? rivatuner is saying mines at 37c atm.
April 24, 2007 1:16:15 PM

Quote:
ill just assume every thing is sweet unless i start seeing smoke poor out of the side of the case.

Don't go so far. Just use SpeedFan 4.32, watch Core 0/1 temp don't go over 65C.

Quote:
would the temps on video cards be more accuriate??? rivatuner is saying mines at 37c atm.

It's believable. But newest NVidia/ATi reference drivers have this probe also.
April 25, 2007 12:02:05 AM

heres a pic of all the temp readings @ idle

and heres a pic of all the pics with TAT running @100% for about 10mins on both cores

ambiant temp was about 15c according to my thermomader thing.
April 25, 2007 1:30:51 AM

stupid ET! yeah all the bios crap is set properly as per the guide.
The MB is a Gigabyte 965P-DQ6 rev2.0 version F9
April 25, 2007 6:57:17 AM

Well, I've no idea why these readings are so low. Your idle/load deltas seem to be on the high side a bit, in contrary. The only way to get it more normal is to adjust offsets in SpeedFan. Or you can live with it as it is, if you don't plan further OC.
a b à CPUs
April 25, 2007 3:13:39 PM

My e6400 sits at around 48-50C idle and hits mid 60's at 100% tat. However that is only for 30 seconds or so. 68C on 10 mins from TAT is really good in my book. you will NEVER EVER EVER see the same load on your CPU as 100% in TAT. 70-75% is the absolute most you will ever see from the most intense app or game. 40C is an awesome idle but i contribute that to your stock vcore. Don't mess with it, it's fine.

Just a note though from my readings and own findings. The core 2's tend to be a little concave on the heatspreader. I lapped mine and found it to be concave. I got an extra 3-5C outta it from doing this. My thermalright cooler was pretty dang flat but i lapped it just to make sure.

My opinion. Those temps are good and normal. Don't touch it.
April 25, 2007 6:39:19 PM

Quote:
My opinion. Those temps are good and normal.

Could you explain, how idle temps of C2D cores, while feeded with vcore, can be LOWER than ambient??? Without any phase change or liquid nitrogen cooling?
April 25, 2007 7:03:37 PM

Quote:
My opinion. Those temps are good and normal.

Could you explain, how idle temps of C2D cores, while feeded with vcore, can be LOWER than ambient??? Without any phase change or liquid nitrogen cooling?

simple..there is a flux capacitor installed, and the liquid Nitrogen from that cools it to below ambient :D  lol..in all seriousness, i thought that was a bit odd myself! 8)
April 26, 2007 9:14:08 AM

could it be coz its water cooled???
April 26, 2007 9:36:54 AM

Well, it's more believable but not below ambient. Think of it. There must be a radiator somewhere in the room or case, with the fan blowing air through it. But air temp must be ambient or higher. So water temp must be higher than ambient, and cores' temps must be higher than water temps. It's that simple.
April 26, 2007 9:40:50 AM

yeah that makes sence. silly computer! thanks for your replys anyways
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
April 26, 2007 2:14:16 PM

From the Core 2 Duo Temperature Guide:

Quote:
Thermal Flow

Heat originates within the Cores, and is hottest where the dual Tjunction sensors are located. Heat is then dissipated throughout the CPU die to the socket and motherboard, and to the Integrated Heat Spreader, where the single Tcase sensor is located between the Cores, and the temperature is ~ 15c cooler. Heat is then transferred to the CPU cooler, and finally to air inside the computer case. All 3 C2D temperatures are then determined by computer case cooling efficiency and Ambient temperature. Regardless of Load, Tjunction is always ~ 15c higher than Tcase, and Tcase is always higher than Ambient.

Hope this helps,

Comp 8)
!