Are these temperatures safe? -- OC noob here

03flat4

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2006
Hi, this is my first time overclocking, and because it seemed too easy to step my E4300 up to 3 GHZ, I am really scrutinizing the safety of my OC. after reading the entire C2D FAQ and cpu temp guide, I still don't know if I am safe...anyhow I was wondering if ppl can chime in here. My OC SEEMS to be within safe specs, except, that the idle to load on full tat hits 25C, but once in a while when i get to about 10 min full TAT, it spikes o 67 or rarely, 68 degrees. I am using the Tuniq Tower cooler, using TAT to test 100% load, on a Gigabyte P965-DS3 rev 3.3, Stock Vcore. I initially upped the vcore a little as per the C2D OC guide, but I then reduced it back to stock after the OC as it seemed to work fine under stock Vcore conditions. If you need any more info please let this noob know! TIA!!

AT IDLE

idle.JPG

TAT 100% after 10 minutes

tat-10.jpg

Those temperatures would be about what I would expect to see with your setup. Sixty-Eight degrees is high, but I would say that considering that you are overclocking the processor by 1.2 Ghz, then you are actually doing VERY WELL.

Typically, when overclocking 66% over, as you are currently, most ppl would be using water cooling. I also suggest that if you want to overclock any further on that setup, I would consider a water cooling setup. With those temps, you haven't hit the danger zone yet, but you are uncomfortably close.

But, then again, that's my opinion...take it for what it's worth.

03flat4

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2006
I did no plan on futher OC so I am having a hard time justifying water. one thing though.my tuniq tower fins and heat pipes never get hot...just slightly warm to the touch. I realy don't want to remove it to check the thermal greae....is that normal under load on this tuniq beast?

nightscope

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2007
I did no plan on futher OC so I am having a hard time justifying water. one thing though.my tuniq tower fins and heat pipes never get hot...just slightly warm to the touch. I realy don't want to remove it to check the thermal greae....is that normal under load on this tuniq beast?

What thermal paste are you using? If it's some cheap stuff, then I would clean it off with some alcohol and put some Arctic Silver 5 on there PROPERLY. Though 3.0 Ghz for an E4300 isn't a very high OC, so the 68 degrees is strange. Did you try any other stress tests?

03flat4

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2006

What thermal paste are you using? If it's some cheap stuff, then I would clean it off with some alcohol and put some Arctic Silver 5 on there PROPERLY. Though 3.0 Ghz for an E4300 isn't a very high OC, so the 68 degrees is strange. Did you try any other stress tests?

The Tuniq came with its own paste called TO-RK06 Thermal compound. I am considerring getting that Shin Etsu stuff..if it is arctic silver that the TT came with, then I can knock off around 4-5 degrees from what I see in this recent review I read on here about the different pastes. Is there a guide about applying the paste that I have been unable to google? The manual said to apply a thin layer of thermal compound. How thin is thin? lol...I just made sure that the whole surface was covered, mushed it around all of the heat spreader, and installed the TT.

Ideas? should the Shin Etsu be my solution?

Yeah I also ran Orthos, but it seemed to run hotter even, if I remember correctly.

03flat4

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2006
I am convinced that I didn't do a great job with the grease spreading...I am going to redo the grease..I think it may be too thick and not even enough from the pictures and such that I see online. I'll report back once I finish that :)

Pax2All

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2006
Take 15 degrees off what TAT is telling you. Run CoreTemp 0.94 and it will give you a more accurate temp with the e4300. TAT and CT 0.95 assign a tjunction value of 100 instead of 85. Dunno why. The L2 C2Ds have a history of being read high as well.

leckig

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
Take 15 degrees off what TAT is telling you. Run CoreTemp 0.94 and it will give you a more accurate temp with the e4300. TAT and CT 0.95 assign a tjunction value of 100 instead of 85. Dunno why. The L2 C2Ds have a history of being read high as well.

my temps are the same like OP. I have Big Typhoon, e4300@3ghz

Why would TAT be wrong?? It is created by intel, isnt?

CoreTemp shows temps 15 degrees lower than TAT. So does the motherboard and the EasyTune5.

I cant believe that there is no easy answer to the temps mess

UPDATE: hahaha, the CoreTemp shows my frequency as 501*6.....

dr_kuli

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
It WAS created by Intel, TWO YEARS AGO, for Mobile Pentium M (without IHS), and for use in NOTEBOOK environment. C2Ds were in R&D department then, not in production. And Intel also states that TjunctionMAX temp, programmed in each C2D (and Pentium M) is INVISIBLE BY SOFTWARE, also Intel's software :lol:
CoreTemp shows my frequency as 501*6
Pretty normal for E4300 & CoreTemp 0.94 beta... As I said, it's software, written by humans, with not enough data about these CPUs...

leckig

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2005
It WAS created by Intel, TWO YEARS AGO, for Mobile Pentium M (without IHS), and for use in NOTEBOOK environment. C2Ds were in R&D department then, not in production. And Intel also states that TjunctionMAX temp, programmed in each C2D (and Pentium M) is INVISIBLE BY SOFTWARE, also Intel's software :lol:
CoreTemp shows my frequency as 501*6
Pretty normal for E4300 & CoreTemp 0.94 beta... As I said, it's software, written by humans, with not enough data about these CPUs...

Thanks for explaining! (dzieki!)

pimpinwilly

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2007
nah man... idle temps are usually about 10-13c. i ran it @ 100% for the 10 minutes... runs a lil hotter atm coz im running the heater in my room.

dr_kuli

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
nah man... idle temps are usually about 10-13c.
I guess you live in the fridge, right? Buy some thermometer and use it for ambients.

i ran it @ 100% for the 10 minutes... runs a lil hotter atm coz im running the heater in my room.
Great, the heater in the fridge... Are you using VapoChill, or liquid nitrogen???

EDIT: OK, I was too ironic... ANY properly measured core/case temp CANNOT be lower than ambient. If it's true that you have 10-13C idle, what is your room ambient temp?

pimpinwilly

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2007
now that i think about it.... it does seem a lil low.
TAT is reporting a temp of 25c at idle. but easytune center reports it as 13c and going by what was said about TAT before i thought that easy tune would be about right? may be its the oppisite with mine... maybe TAT is right and easy tune center is 10-15c out of wack. oh and yeah it was very chilli in here before but i dont live in a fridge.
dunno what the room temp was... cold enough to switch the heater on i guess

dr_kuli

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
Temps by TAT & ET are not measured (guessed rather) in the same points. TAT is guessing your cores' temps, ET is guessing your CPU temp, (whatever it means for Gigabyte), not cores' temps. Read C2D temps guide sticky on this forum.

pimpinwilly

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2007
lol i tried reading the guide before but it was to long so i gave up. ill just assume every thing is sweet unless i start seeing smoke poor out of the side of the case.
would the temps on video cards be more accuriate??? rivatuner is saying mines at 37c atm.

dr_kuli

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
ill just assume every thing is sweet unless i start seeing smoke poor out of the side of the case.
Don't go so far. Just use SpeedFan 4.32, watch Core 0/1 temp don't go over 65C.

would the temps on video cards be more accuriate??? rivatuner is saying mines at 37c atm.
It's believable. But newest NVidia/ATi reference drivers have this probe also.

pimpinwilly

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2007
heres a pic of all the temp readings @ idle

idle_temps.jpg

and heres a pic of all the pics with TAT running @100% for about 10mins on both cores

load_temps.jpg

ambiant temp was about 15c according to my thermomader thing.