Rhodan

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007
Hey all,

I recently purchased a new system, with an e6600 (2.4ghz) core 2 duo processor on a Gigabyte 965P-DS3P motherboard in a Coolermaster Centurion 534 case.

I am having serious problems however as the core 2 duo cheap is getting incredibly hot, running at 70-80 degrees (C) when it full use, it gets so hot that about 15 minutes into any gaming, the system turns itself off due to the heat.

The CPU fan is applied and working correctly however, there wasnt a lot of thermal paste between it and the processor itself. The case also has 3 other fans (front, side and back) and there is a wind tunnel going from the side of the case to the processor.

So, Im pretty sure that the processor shouldnt be running anywhere near this hot. Firstly, is it possible that I may need to take the fan off and apply more thermal paste despite having this system for just 2 days (as there wasnt much thermal paste on the fan when i got it), and if so, where would I be able to buy thermal paste?

If this is unlikely to be the problem, are there any other suggestions why it could be running at such a high temperature?? (Temperature readings done from both the bios and gigabyte's easytune program, both of which get similar readings.

Thanks in Advance.

EDIT: At time of posting, with just itunes playing and firefox open (apart from system tray icons) the processor is at ~78 degrees.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I'd say the HSF may not be on correctly.

When you put the HSF on, did you check the back of the MB to see if the 4 white plastic clips are totally through with the pins keeping them from popping back up?

If you can take the MB out, you might be able to get the white thingys through without taking the HS off.

Rhodan

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007
I'd say the HSF may not be on correctly.

When you put the HSF on, did you check the back of the MB to see if the 4 white plastic clips are totally through with the pins keeping them from popping back up?

If you can take the MB out, you might be able to get the white thingys through without taking the HS off.

The white clips go all the way through and are in the "lock position" which I assume is stopping them from popping up.

Also, just opened the Command and Conquer 3 demo, (opened the program, didnt even start a game just left it on the main menu) and alt tabbed out to EasyTune which had the temp at 94 degrees :?

Rhodan

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007
Just to clarify a little too, when I first discovered this problem, I did take the fan completely off the Cpu and then re-clip it back on which made absolutely no difference.

Is there a special hole for each clip? Because the top of the HSF is facing sideways, but I doubt that would make a difference right?

I dont suppose it could just be some sort of problem with the thermometer used (as it seems both Easytune and the bios read from the same one) which is causing the computer to shutdown because it thinks its overheating but actually isnt... because 95 degrees seem extremely overheated.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
MB-back.jpg

Basically the pic shows what I meant.

Although, since you mentioned that you took the whole HSF (heatsink fan) off, you prolly don't have a great seal between the HSF and CPU.

Might wanna get some thermal paste and redo it.

Use rubbing alcohol to clean off the bottom of the HS, and top of the CPU before reapplying new thermal compound.

pignoli

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2007
Try squishing the cpu with some thermal grease on it against a piece of glass, this'll show you if the ihs is concave which I believe is a problem with some C2D's. If that's the case, it's RMA or lapping time....

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
I dont suppose it could just be some sort of poblem with the thermometer used (as it seems both Easytune and the bios read from the same one) which is causing the computer to shutdown because it thinks its overheating but actually isnt... because 95 degrees seem extremely overheated.

There is a problem with the thermometer, atleast the one on the mobo. 95ºc isnt possible, if the cpu gets to 85ºc the computer will shut itself down to protect from damage. Try using Core Temp or Intel's TAT, they use a different temp sensor, one built into the chip itself.

Rhodan

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007
Ok, so mt HSF is attached properly, just to be sure I took it out and put it back in again and double checked it all matched up right, which it does.

Now, using TAT, Speedfan and the Easytune monitors, I get:

Which, if it isnt clear, is telling me:

Easytune is saying that my CPU temp is at 35C,
TAT is saying my CPU0 and CPU1 temps are ~68C
Speedfan is saying that:

T1 = 50C
T2 = 35C
T3 = 1C
HDO = 45C
CPU0 = 66C
CPU1 = 66C

From the looks of that, it would appear that the Easytune CPU temp corresponds with the T2 temp from speedfan. Also, these temps are IDLE temps are about average for the idle temps right now.

According to TAT, the ACPI Thermal Zone Temp is 0C, does this matter at all?

I have no idea what most of this means, so could anyone who knows what their doing have a look at it for me and explain why these temps are so different?

Thanks.

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
Some extra thoughts...

Are you using the stock HSF that came with the CPU?

Reason I asked is, I've read that you can re-use the thermal pad that is suppositively on the bottom of the HS, though I wouldn't trust it. I'd recommend in getting some kind of thermal compound to replace it.

Now, are you sure you have adequate airflow in your PC case? Having all the cables tucked away, not to hinder airflow?

Is this your PC case?

11-119-106-24.jpg

You mentioned wind tunnel, but does the side duct align properly to where your HSF is? Also that duct may interfere with the exhaust, or could produce/add turbulence that may prevent airflow for the rear fan, and perhaps PSU (it having a fan on the bottom). I think you will have different pressures that air may not flow very well.

Do you have the latest bios for your MB that may perhaps fix any temp problems?

One thing I do want to point out, though I'm not sure, when my fans are running at a low RPM, it can give out weird readings, like I see from your speedfan. Can you adjust your CPU fan speed to be at more of a constant speed of 1700 rpm? The fan speed from the bios may be too low.

One other thing you could look at is:

Core 2 Duo Temperature Guide

Thought it was a good guide to read up on.