Net use printer capture

hello,

> I am trying to allow a dos application to print to a network printer. When
> type the command:
> net use lpt1: \\computername\printsharename /persistent:yes an error
message
> is returned:
>
> System error 66 has occurred
>
> The network resource type is not correct.
>
> A WinXP Pro hosting the print share and WinXP Pros computer trying to
print
> to it. The computer printing works find in the XP environment but not from
Dos

> If anyone has a resolve.
>
> Pls help
>
> Thanks
4 answers Last reply
More about printer capture

    You are substituting the 'computername' for the name of the PC on the
    network and the 'printsharename' for the shared name of the printer aren't
    you?
    --
    Cari (MS-MVP)
    Printing & Imaging

    "compunow" <compunow@optonline.net> wrote in message
    > hello,
    >>
    >> I am trying to allow a dos application to print to a network printer.
    >> When
    >> type the command:
    >> net use lpt1: \\computername\printsharename /persistent:yes an error
    > message
    >> is returned:
    >>
    >> System error 66 has occurred
    >>
    >> The network resource type is not correct.
    >>
    >> A WinXP Pro hosting the print share and WinXP Pros computer trying to
    > print
    >> to it. The computer printing works find in the XP environment but not
    >> from
    > Dos
    >>
    >> If anyone has a resolve.
    >>
    >> Pls help
    >>
    >> Thanks

    Yes
    > You are substituting the 'computername' for the name of the PC on the
    > network and the 'printsharename' for the shared name of the printer aren't
    > you?
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >
    > In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    >
    > "compunow" <compunow@optonline.net> wrote in message
    > > hello,
    > >>
    > >> I am trying to allow a dos application to print to a network printer.
    > >> When
    > >> type the command:
    > >> net use lpt1: \\computername\printsharename /persistent:yes an error
    > > message
    > >> is returned:
    > >>
    > >> System error 66 has occurred
    > >>
    > >> The network resource type is not correct.
    > >>
    > >> A WinXP Pro hosting the print share and WinXP Pros computer trying to
    > > print
    > >> to it. The computer printing works find in the XP environment but not
    > >> from
    > > Dos
    > >>
    > >> If anyone has a resolve.
    > >>
    > >> Pls help
    > >>
    > >> Thanks

    And the printer in question is attached (or mapped) to an LPT
    port?http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/printfromdos.htm
    --

    > Yes
    > "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
    >> You are substituting the 'computername' for the name of the PC on the
    >> network and the 'printsharename' for the shared name of the printer
    >> aren't
    >> you?
    >> --
    >> Cari (MS-MVP)
    >> Printing & Imaging
    >>
    >> In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    >>
    >> "compunow" <compunow@optonline.net> wrote in message
    >> > hello,

    >> > message

    >> > print
    >> > Dos

    mapped to LPT1. This is a network printer using tcpip. The workstation is
    acting as a printserver.
    > And the printer in question is attached (or mapped) to an LPT
    > port?http://members.shaw.ca/bsanders/printfromdos.htm
    > --
    > Cari (MS-MVP)
    > Printing & Imaging
    >
    > In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    >
    > "compunow" <compunow@optonline.net> wrote in message
    > > Yes
    > > "Cari (MS-MVP)" <Newsgroups1@coribright.com> wrote in message
    > >> You are substituting the 'computername' for the name of the PC on the
    > >> network and the 'printsharename' for the shared name of the printer
    > >> aren't
    > >> you?
    > >> --
    > >> Cari (MS-MVP)
    > >> Printing & Imaging
    > >>
    > >> In Loving Memory of our dear friend Alex Nichol MVP
    > >>
    > >> "compunow" <compunow@optonline.net> wrote in message

Windows XP