XP activation???!

I played a bit with msconfig and now Windows tells me that I have to activate my copy because my hardware has change, but it didn't :!: and that I have 3 days left. :(

The problem is that I already activated windows 5 times, so I can't activate it any more.

Although I returned to normal settings I still get the activation note.
I tried system restore and it didn't work.

Any one knows how can I get over this. :!: :?: :cry:
6 answers Last reply
More about activation
  1. I'm puzzled how playing with msconfig can cause you to have to reactivate XP. msconfig allows you to disable various startup processes ..

What did you do ?
  2. I've disabled some startup processes like iTunesHlper, DrgToDsc, and nvidia
    settings center and some other, and when I restarted windows the activation note showed-up. :?

I don't want to buy a new copy of XP :( (specially that Vista is on the way)
  3. stop freaking out, if you have a legit copy of windows, call microsoft and they will allow you to re-activate it

if it's not a legit copy, then i guess you need to crack it or something again

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\WPAEvents
    the OOBETimer key's value was probably changed, that's why it's prompting to activate
  4. I use msconfig all the time to disable some startup rubbish.

XP should only ask for reactivation if there has been a significant hardware change. Do you have your XP licence details ?

I would call their Activation support line and explain what is going on.
    Did you buy the PC with XP already installed or did you put it on yourself ?
  5. hi
    in your case is only one think remaining .
    call the microsoft and tell them to activate your copy.
    one friend of me ,he did not activate windows for some reason till the day they stop function.and a screen come up with a phone number etc etc.
    it call them and told to activate the windows.
    of cousre the windows there already activated,but the support team reactivate them.
    no worry.
  6. It worked :D

I called the support line and even thay where puzzled with my case.

Thank you all for your help :)
Ask a new question

Read More

Windows XP