Random shut-downs on 3 month build

Wonderwill

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
I just built a computer around Christmas and it is randomly shutting down or restarting. It usually happens while playing battlefield 2 or using Blender or 3ds max. I figured it could have to do with the graphics card since only graphics situations cause it to happen. I don't have another computer to test my parts with, and the incident is virtually unpredictable or recreateable, as it only happens maybe once a week.

Here are my specs:
ECS P965T-A
1GB Wintec Ampo 667
E6600
WD 320GB

feeltch

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2007
I had very similar problem with comp built about month ago. I finnaly took it to where I bought it and they found out, that GEIL RAM wasn't compatible with motherboard or something. They took out Geil and put in A-DATA RAM and now it seems OK for two days, but I'll be sure in few days more, because my comp was restarting on every three or four days.

Wonderwill

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
My PSU is a FSP 400W which should be more than enough. As for heat, I've been monitoring my temps already. CPU never goes over 60* on high load (Prime95 all night). GPU doesn't go over 60* after playing BF2. I used core temp for CPU and Nvidia control panel for GPU. I use AVG antivirus free edition.

I did build this myself BTW. Any more suggestions as to what I should try. I dont know what opening my case would do, it has plenty of airflow right now. (Centurion 5)

ZOldDude

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2006
My PSU is a FSP 400W which should be more than enough. As for heat, I've been monitoring my temps already. CPU never goes over 60* on high load (Prime95 all night). GPU doesn't go over 60* after playing BF2. I used core temp for CPU and Nvidia control panel for GPU. I use AVG antivirus free edition.

I did build this myself BTW. Any more suggestions as to what I should try. I dont know what opening my case would do, it has plenty of airflow right now. (Centurion 5)

Well you would hope that it is good enough...also which GFX card are you using becuse it sound like your system draws more than it can handle.

What you discribe and looking at the factory spec sheets on this PSU only makes me think it is your PSU that is the cuase of your problems.

http://www.fspgroupusa.com/PC_RETAIL/FSP40060THNR/TECH/FSP40060THNRSPEC.pdf

Also note that the power output clearly stated to be @ 25C.....and 2W drop for every 1C rise in intake air temps.

Basicly that is not a good supply for your system if you have anykind of good GFX card.

Wonderwill

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
zo had pulled up the specs for a 2-3 year old Fortron model; this one should be just fine for your system.

Oh i didn't see that sorry. Just wanted to show where and which one I bought to make sure. So you think the one I have is good enough? What could the shutdown problem be related to other than that?

@ZO Are you saying I need to cool my PSU more to power my system? Or is my graphics card small enough to handle the low power. Is there a way to measure PSU temps?

Wonderwill

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
I haven't gotten any real solutions, and it happened again while booting into Vista. It reacts almost like hitting the manual case reset switch. It restarts and makes that clicking sound.

BUMP

Ninjaz7

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
Maybe try reflashing the bios...some boards have issue when there is power lose during boot(not saying yours did).I have an an7 that has the same issues,swapped psu,cpu ram,video card,you name it.I don't believe the mobo is bad ,but haven't got around to a buddys suggestion of a reflash to a stock bios(stock for me coming from tic tac's modded bios).I've also been told possibly a virus,doughtful but you never know.Have put time in other areas but I'm still bound and determined to finish it.Post what the culpret was and what the outcome is,would be intresting. :D gl

Wonderwill

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
I've flashed it many times recently for various reasons, but to no avail. I'm starting to get nervous that I may have to RMA something back to Fry's or Newegg where I bought my parts. I have scanned for viruses so many times im getting sore, with both MCafee and AVG free. Earlier I unplugged everything in the case and then back in, but the problem still occurrs about once a week. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Wonderwill

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
Download and run Orthos (under blend mode) to do a good stress job on the CPU/RAM.
It could also be your video drivers.

I did update the driver recently, and the problem hasn't happened since. Maybe it will clear up but it has only been 2 days so I won't get my hopes up.

Ninjaz7

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
Ya, if there still under an rma,I'd do it and be done....sounds like you've covered all the bases(like I have)...And ya I hate pullin apart, mailing,but at least they're covered(the shining light at the end of the tunnel). :D gl

gath2

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2004
Were you able to run TAT on your ECS P965T-A?

I get this error:

error enumerating on demand clock modulation support

I'm running an E6400

SpeedFan is the only thing that I can get to read Core Temperatures.

Wonderwill

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2006
Were you able to run TAT on your ECS P965T-A?

I get this error:

error enumerating on demand clock modulation support

I'm running an E6400

SpeedFan is the only thing that I can get to read Core Temperatures.

Nope. It annoys the crap out of me too. No idea how to fix it. :roll: Try Core Temp. It's low profile but works.

TRENDING THREADS