Frame rate Question

Operation Flashpoint passed me by the first time around. But I saw it and
the expansion packs for £12.00.

My only gripe is that the frame rate stutters a bit. Now I know my machine
is only an Athlon 2200 with a 4600Ti vid card but even so, tell me there is
a way around this problem (yes, I have played around with all the options
and have all the patches but nothing helps. What am I missing?)

PJ
7 answers Last reply
More about frame rate question
  1. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    Run the Flashpoint Preferences in you Start / Programs / Codemaster /
    Operation Flashpoint directory and hit Auto detect. Make sure that you
    choose Direct 3D HW T&L and set your desired screen resolution if they are
    not autodetected, then hit RUN.

    If you arent a fan of eye candy, go into the video options and turn off
    object shadows, blood etc to get a few more FPS.

    If you want to be able to ALT TAB back to desktop , make sure your game
    resolution and desktop resolution are different, even if its just the 32bit
    / 16bit colour option.

    Hope this helps.

    "Paul Jager" <jager@pauljager.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Operation Flashpoint passed me by the first time around. But I saw it and
    > the expansion packs for £12.00.
    >
    > My only gripe is that the frame rate stutters a bit. Now I know my machine
    > is only an Athlon 2200 with a 4600Ti vid card but even so, tell me there
    is
    > a way around this problem (yes, I have played around with all the options
    > and have all the patches but nothing helps. What am I missing?)
    >
    > PJ

  2. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    I would also set the 'terrain detail' to it's lowest setting.

    Kango<TZW>

    "TONIK <TZW>" <teeman@bullet.home.nl> wrote in message
    > Run the Flashpoint Preferences in you Start / Programs / Codemaster /
    > Operation Flashpoint directory and hit Auto detect. Make sure that you
    > choose Direct 3D HW T&L and set your desired screen resolution if they are
    > not autodetected, then hit RUN.
    >
    > If you arent a fan of eye candy, go into the video options and turn off
    > object shadows, blood etc to get a few more FPS.
    >
    > If you want to be able to ALT TAB back to desktop , make sure your game
    > resolution and desktop resolution are different, even if its just the
    32bit
    > / 16bit colour option.
    >
    > Hope this helps.

    > "Paul Jager" <jager@pauljager.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > Operation Flashpoint passed me by the first time around. But I saw it
    and
    > > the expansion packs for £12.00.
    > >
    > > My only gripe is that the frame rate stutters a bit. Now I know my
    machine
    > > is only an Athlon 2200 with a 4600Ti vid card but even so, tell me there
    > is
    > > a way around this problem (yes, I have played around with all the
    options
    > > and have all the patches but nothing helps. What am I missing?)
    > >
    > > PJ

  3. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    Also when you autodetect the settings you might want to drop the
    screen resolution a bit as the utility tends to overestimate.

    I have the origional version of OFP (ver 1.2 out of the box), patched
    afterwards to 1.75 for "cold war crisis" and 1.9 for "resistance". I
    have seperate versions of the gold upgrade and resistance expansion.
    Everything plays reasonalbly at 800x600 @ 16bit (P!!! 800MHz + ATI 128
    pro). However when I installed a friends copy, which was the GOTY
    version (game of the year - all in one 3 disc pack), I found the frame
    rates dropped considerably making for about 10fps (estimated). It
    played fine on his PC (Athlon XP 2200+ + Geforce FX5200 at 1024x768 @
    32bit). I reverted to my origional versions and everything returned to
    normal. I think that there is definately a performance hit on the GOTY
    version but from your specs it shouldn't be a problem.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    I typed before I thought and wrote:
    > I have the origional version of OFP (ver 1.2 out of the box), patched
    > afterwards to 1.75 for "cold war crisis" .....

    That should be 1.46. I mixed it up with the previous version of
    resistance.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    "Paul Jager" <jager@pauljager.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Operation Flashpoint passed me by the first time around. But I saw it and
    > the expansion packs for £12.00.
    >
    > My only gripe is that the frame rate stutters a bit. Now I know my machine
    > is only an Athlon 2200 with a 4600Ti vid card but even so, tell me there
    is
    > a way around this problem (yes, I have played around with all the options
    > and have all the patches but nothing helps. What am I missing?)

    There's no reason why you should be stuttering with that. I started on OFP
    with a Duron 700mhz, which ran fine - and until last year was playing all
    but the most complex missions on an Athlon 1900.

    How much RAM have you got? Run the autodetect and lower a few things for
    good measure. Oh, and set terrain no higher than medium.

    --

    Liddle Feesh
    *fap fap fap fap*

    OFP will eat up as many resources as you can throw at it. The machine has
    yet to be invented that has resources to spare when running OFP at high res
    etc.

    SO make sure that you have minimal background apps running, and 32 bit
    colour seems faster than 16 bit

    "Liddle Feesh" <l@f.com> wrote in message
    > "Paul Jager" <jager@pauljager.co.uk> wrote in message
    > > Operation Flashpoint passed me by the first time around. But I saw it
    and
    > > the expansion packs for £12.00.
    > >
    > > My only gripe is that the frame rate stutters a bit. Now I know my
    machine
    > > is only an Athlon 2200 with a 4600Ti vid card but even so, tell me there
    > is
    > > a way around this problem (yes, I have played around with all the
    options
    > > and have all the patches but nothing helps. What am I missing?)
    >
    > There's no reason why you should be stuttering with that. I started on OFP
    > with a Duron 700mhz, which ran fine - and until last year was playing all
    > but the most complex missions on an Athlon 1900.
    >
    > How much RAM have you got? Run the autodetect and lower a few things for
    > good measure. Oh, and set terrain no higher than medium.
    >

    > --
    >
    > Liddle Feesh
    > *fap fap fap fap*
    > <>< <>< <>< <>< ><>
    > <>< <>< <>< <>< <>< <><

  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.operation-flashpoint (More info?)

    "TJ" <who@where.com> wrote in message
    > OFP will eat up as many resources as you can throw at it. The machine has
    > yet to be invented that has resources to spare when running OFP at high
    res
    > etc.
    >
    > SO make sure that you have minimal background apps running, and 32 bit
    > colour seems faster than 16 bit

    I suppose what I was trying to say is, if his framerate, "Stutters quite a
    bit" then there is probably a fundamental problem causing it - I'd have
    thought it obvious to run autodetect and lower the settings till the game
    was playable, and I've previously used machines of much lower spec with
    success.

    --

    Liddle Feesh
    *fap fap fap fap*