Reasons not to migrate to Windows Vista

Status
Not open for further replies.

starwhite

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
1. UAP. User account protection. This annoying feature will have you answering yes or no questions endlessly until you put it out of it's misery in user accounts. ( Turn it off for God's sake). The bad news, then, is that UAP is a sad, sad joke. It's the most annoying feature that Microsoft has ever added to any software product, and yes, that includes that ridiculous Clippy character from older Office versions.

2. The 'Aero Look'. Another annoying feature. Why? Every single time I open a program Vista informs me that it is switching to basic windows. The screen 'pops'. This is very disturbing. (I have tested this since it was named 'Longhorn'.

3. Vista requires roughly 3 times the RAM that Xp uses to do the same thing. Unless your PC is at least 3 GHz with 2 Gigs of RAM it'll move like molasses in the wintertime.

4. The price. WHY is it so over priced? The upgrade to Vista Ultimate alone is listed at Amazon.com for $259.00.

5. I do not have access to basic windows files. I am locked out of files like 'My Documents'. Microsoft has decided that the average User is too stupid to allow access to certain Windows files. This is insulting. I am offended. I know security is an issue an all, but locking a person out of certain files is Not the answer. The User is locked into a Roaming profile, thus they are disallowed access to certain Windows files.

6. Broken promises
Windows Vista was going to include a completely rewritten file system, based on SQL Server and once called Storage+. Later renamed to WinFS, this file system was downgraded to a "storage engine," meaning that it would, in fact, run on top of the decades-old NTFS file system. Then WinFS was stripped out of Windows Vista because the performance was so horrible.

7. The pain of migration. And why not Just stay with Windows Xp? At least all of my programs work. Think: what big advantage are you getting? Security? I don't know...with a good Firewall and anti-virus you're all set.

This is wonderful information but there is a place for this. Its not here. This is the CPU section in the Hardware forums. There is a Software section specifically for this.
This section is for information about CPUs not Vista, XP or any other OS.

Storm1234

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
When will Toms add Windows Vista in the software section, then maybe people will post it in there...

Officially there is no Vista section except "software" in general, which doesnt help any.

Mainly what Im saying is can someone request or make a Windows Vista section in software?

Thanks Storm~

Jake_Barnes

Splendid
This is wonderful information but there is a place for this. Its not here. This is the CPU section in the Hardware forums. There is a Software section specifically for this.

Good point - I have asked the Forumz Developer, Steve_Sa, to "create" a pre-release, General Discussion forum for Vista in Software ... he said he would get to it this weekend. I'll move all Vista threads there when it's available. :)

3lfk1ng

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
Wow, reading your rants shows your a noob, my computer (in the sig) ran vista absolutely fine all the advanced features and so forth. Also I experienced none of the issues you mentioned while using build 5600 (rc-1) my only problem was not being able to use Nero-6, so please don't nub up the forums. Granted games ran about 5fps slower...but that's not a big deal cause it's not officially finished.

starwhite

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
3lfk1ng: Ok, maybe you did not read my original post. If anyone, I do not care what your PC hardware is: has chosen to activate the 'Aero' look windows will pop up a ballon informing you that it is switching to 'Basic Windows style'. I find this annoying. I suppose some people might not.
RC2 ran fine on My Dual 3.4 GHz Xeon, 2 Gigs on DDR2 RAM, 512 MB Video card. Its the overall design that is poor. Again, I do not believe you read my original post. And if you did....well, I assure you I am not a 'Nob'. I do computer work for a living, for over 20 years....Windows Millinium in my opinion was a better operating system than Vista.

If anything, we don't give a flying f^ck about this topic because its not in its proper place. We're in the section to talk about CPU's. So before you get the minerals to start attacking someone, note where the f^ck you are, take a gander at how negative the response was, and stay quiet. You'd think you'd learn your lesson by the response you'd gotten, but nooo. You have to be a hard ass.
You want to rant about Vista? Fine, you have the 1st Ammendment to help you with that.
But when you're here, put your posts where they belong.

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006

Good point - I have asked the Forumz Developer, Steve_Sa, to "create" a pre-release, General Discussion forum for Vista in Software ... he said he would get to it this weekend. I'll move all Vista threads there when it's available. :)

He could name it Crapware 101

0p3n

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2006
Uhh you can turn off UAC, I only have one program that turns to basic mode. The ram is not a big deal I mean ram is not overly expensive and you could always buy a flash drive and use ReadyBoost. WinFS ehh its fine without. Price yes the price is a bit too high, I cant believe they actually are going to charge 400$. Being locked out of your folders I dont have a problem with my documents and all the stuff in that I do have a problem with like local settings and documents and settings those can be overcame easily and should not be a reason not upgrade especially if you are a gamer.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
lol me to but thats not a reason to upgrade. (gets the joke) i just havent seen anything on vista that makes me think its even a upgrade at all unless adressing more memory is a upgrade (which in the future its sure to be) I defanitly dont care about the 3D GUI just another excuse to have to buy more hardware you dont need to run something you dont need in a OS you do need (assuming you wish to be able to run anything) in a computer you may or not need but want and want to be able to run anything. Actualy let me put it this way. Ill buy vista like i have "bought" all my windows software in the past ;)

turpit

Splendid
Feb 12, 2006
lol me to but thats not a reason to upgrade. (gets the joke) i just havent seen anything on vista that makes me think its even a upgrade at all unless adressing more memory is a upgrade (which in the future its sure to be) I defanitly dont care about the 3D GUI just another excuse to have to buy more hardware you dont need to run something you dont need in a OS you do need (assuming you wish to be able to run anything) in a computer you may or not need but want and want to be able to run anything. Actualy let me put it this way. Ill buy vista like i have "bought" all my windows software in the past ;)

Oh, I concur. I doubt I will even consider Vista at least until SP1 has been released and after the OEM copies have hit the market with the attendant price drops.

The funny thing is, its just an OS. It not like a new version of Adobe, or Coreldraw that may actually have new and useful features for acomplishing a task. No mater how much they complicate it, its still just an OS. Its there to support the system and provide a platform for programs, not to overwhelm the system or consume a ridiculous amount of its resources.

Status
Not open for further replies.