ishould

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
I recently moved some images over to another harddrive and reformatted the original. When I copied the images back, all of the jpgs and all but 2 of the bmps are now corrupted and will not open in any software. I've tried using Pixrecovery demo (which leaves a large black square in the middle of the picture) and that seemed to work for the bmp(I could see part of the recovered image), but I don't want to spend $150 getting these back.

Anyone ever used any free or inexpensive software to repair bmp files? I'm pretty sure I won't be able to get back the jpg's, but if you think I can get them back I wouldn't be against it

thanks

hubbardt

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2004
I don't know of any free ones but here is one I found that is free to try and then $30 to buy.

click me !

I haven't tried it myself so would suggest downloading the free trial and making sure it's worth the money :wink:

ishould

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
I tried that out, and it did not fix any of the corrupted files that I have. I think that is mainly for getting back files that have accidentally been deleted. I've tried to find software to do this for a while and haven't found much success...

ishould

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
Nope, just moving them from XP to a separate HD I had laying around back onto XP again. I had them in a passworded RAR file when I copied them over..could this have caused it?

ishould

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
They all unpacked just fine in winRAR, no errors. I had some avi files that were in there, they're all fine

ishould

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
I tried that out, scanned the whole drive, and the demo won't let you see what it does. I can't spend $60 on something if I'm not positive it won't work. I'm really surprised I can't find any freeware that does this sort of thing