Is my Fatal1ty done for?

Surgery

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
Hello everyone, I've just recently moved house, and it appears not all of my PC made it. When I hooked up my 5.1, the front centre/sub channel didn't work at all, but the rear left speaker played quietly, with the sub also working with it. When I plugged a mic in the back, there was a high pitched noise until I restarted. Is it buggered? Right now I'm having to use on-board sound (which works perfectly), but I'd prefer a dedicated card.

Cheers.

sounds like it's a goner, but inspect the card for something damaged/burned/blown up. smell it too...sounds weird, but still. if no luck, try a different pci slot, or try using another card in that slot to see if it's the slot that's giving you trouble. if its not the slot, just try reinstalling it, other than that, i think its gone.

SKA

Distinguished
Aug 21, 2004
See if the sound card is seated in the PCI slot, some times when you move your case they can vibrate lose. On board sound robs cpu cycles and is never as good as dedicated sound. Good luck.

Surgery

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
I'll try putting it in a new PCI slot tomorrow. If it's a no go, then I'll have to get a new one. I was thinking the Fatal1ty Xtreme Gamer, that'd be a fair replacement eh?

i don't really know anything about the fatality line, other than the name you pay for. i stick with my creative audigy 2 zs. its a good card, and i got it at a good price, plus its got more connections than i can ever dream of. Sound cards are a technology that you only buy high end in if you can use all the features of. in my oipinion, buying a card with x-ram or whatnot would be much like buying an 8800 and running word. if i were you, i'd just save the money, unless you use the card for some of its features, then go ahead. i really don't know what you use it for. i'm a sound technitian with a goodstanding company, and this card suits my uses just fine. buy something that suits you-sound tech doesn't change alot in the consumer market, other than formats. (in the professional market, its a different world.) if you aren't going to use the extra features or extra midiplugs, optical, whatever, then don't buy them, its just a waste.

Surgery

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
Well I already have the Fatal1ty front box, I use the full-sized jack connectors for guitar/microphone work. I was actually disappointed there was no XLR connectors on it, but I guess it is a gaming one. I wouldn't normally bother getting a decent sound card, but as it's a high spec system, I thought I may as well go all out.

P.S. The Word analogy was lol.

alright, you've got some grounds for the purchase. lol, i guess it was funny, i'm known by many people as a king of analogies...especially those for technology. <br><Br>
you never know though, microsoft could come out with "word vista" that needs a 768MB graphics card so it can reneder 3d text and buttons that actually pop out of the screen. WHOA!

Surgery

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
You need four 8800s and a quad-core to run the new Notepad 6000™, with its epilepsy-inspiring 4D screens. It makes a disco in a strobelight factory look like a mere flashing LED in comparison.

whatcha got in that machine anyway?

i run this old beast..

AMD Athlon XP 2800+ OC to 2.5GHz w/ TT venus 12
Radeon x1650xt 512MB AGP, 650/1500
AOpen ak77-600max
Dual 400GB SATA 7200RPM
1.5GB DDR333 RAM
creative audigy 2 zs platinum
420W TT purepower PSU
X-Dreamer II chassis
Dual 17" viewsonic lcd's 1280x1024
Logitech G15 and MX700
Logitech z5300-e 5.1 280W

Surgery

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
C2D E6600
2 gigs Corsair PC6000 RAM
Nvidia Geforce 7950GT
(Broken) X-Fi Fatal1ty
520W OCZ PSU
Seagate 300gb SATA/Western Digital 160gb IDE HDDs
Thermaltake Armour case (wahoo)
Razer Diamondback Plasma Edition

Surgery

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
Nah, my system clock and date are fine, so it's probably not the battery. I'm not sure which settings in the bios would affect the sound card, any ideas?

i don't think really any, but maybe outboard sound is like half-enabled...its a good idea just to go check that onboard sound is disabled and then save your settings again, even if you didn't make changes, so that any errors are overwritten.