Sign in with
Your question

AMD (older) cpu price/performance comparisons

Last response: in CPUs
April 15, 2007 2:30:52 AM

Can anyone tell me how you would compare the price/performance between the AMD Athlon XP processors with AMD's X2 (dual core) processors? If the newer X2 processors are better, by how much are they better? Is it worth it to invest in a new mb (socket 939 and X2, for e.g.) or just buy the fastest Athlon XP processor on ebay?

I googled and researched but I can't find any info comparing those processors.

This is for a budget and I think it's a difference of $100 or so.

Comments?
April 15, 2007 2:48:19 AM

Quote:
Can anyone tell me how you would compare the price/performance between the AMD Athlon XP processors with AMD's X2 (dual core) processors? If the newer X2 processors are better, by how much are they better? Is it worth it to invest in a new mb (socket 939 and X2, for e.g.) or just buy the fastest Athlon XP processor on ebay?

Comments?

Yes, the difference would be very noticeable. First, the X2 processors are 64 bit processors, the Athlon XP ones are 32 bit, so just that fact makes a difference. Oh, and socket 939 motherboards are outdated now so you'd be better off with an Am2 motherboard/processor. This computer has an Athlon 64 processor (not even a dual core) and my other computer has an Athlon XP, and I notice A HUGE difference between the two.

Processor:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And here's a list of some motherboards for an Am2 processor:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...

Also, an Athlon XP motherboard would not have a pci-express slot, only an AGP. And, as you may know, AGP now is getting very outdated. So I would definitly go with an X2 processor/motherboard. The problem is you would also have to replace your ram with ddr2, so...yeah :p  You can get 1 gig for around 50-70 bucks and 2 gigs for around 105+ bucks.

Also, this is a perfect time to upgrade to an X2 processor as they just went through some major price cuts.
April 15, 2007 3:43:46 AM

Agreed with Nightscope, the Athlon XP is very outdated and it's not worth spending any more money on such an old CPU.

You can get very cheap X2 systems nowadays, that should definitely be the way to go.
Related resources
April 15, 2007 4:03:07 AM

I would be interested in the actual price/performance on just the the XP chips if anyone really knows . It would probably be about 3:1 (just a guess its probably higher) compared to an X2 or even a C2D.

I have 2 other systems running XP2600 (wifes) and XP2200 which is just collecting mothballs except when the grandkids play games on it. I have already built a 3rd (C2D) and was to expecting XP chip prices to drop way low and then throw a couple XP3200's in the other 2 for a nice cheap upgrade and extend use of mobo/ram/gpu etc.

But Nooooooo

AMD has to keep the XP prices jacked up depriving me of my insignificant upgrade, leaving me scratching my head on where I went wrong with my plan to squeeze as much value out of my old systems as possible lol. I mean how does AMD expect anyone to pay $285 for a XP3200 when you can get a significantly better chip for that price. Is it just greed on AMD's part or am I missing something?

No loyalty for brands here anymore.
April 15, 2007 4:03:40 AM

Yes, but 64-bit operating systems are still in their infancy, are they not? There's not a lot of software yet to take advantage or am I wrong here?

I was wondering about current price/performance comparisons and I haven't been able to find any on the internet.

I'm asking not for myself, btw. I'm looking into either another X2 machine or even Core 2 Duo.

But, the upgrade would be using current hardware, a socket A (462) motherboard and DDR memory. Thus, it's a comparison of price/performance of the Athlon XP CPU (fastest being 3200+ or 3400+) compared to additional cost of a AMD 64 X2 processor and probably a 939 motherboard in order to further save cost (and avoid needing to buy DDR2 RAM). If the budget was less constricted, then yeah, it would be best to buy the more available motherboards and then add DDR2 RAM etc.

Quote:
Is it just greed on AMD's part or am I missing something?

MarriedwMortgage, I think it is just supply and demand. AMD is not manufacturing the Athlon XP chips anymore and they are not in great supply. But, there's still a lot of people out there still using the older motherboards with the Athlon XP 64 processors. It's either spend extra for the required hardware (DDR2 RAM for e.g., plus PCI-e video cards etc.) or upgrade current hardware for a cheaper cost. So, it's not really AMD's fault. I could be wrong about this but that is how I understand it so far.
April 15, 2007 4:08:35 AM

Quote:
Yes, but 64-bit operating systems are still in their infancy, are they not? There's not a lot of software yet to take advantage or am I wrong here?

I was wondering about current price/performance comparisons and I haven't been able to find any on the internet.

I'm asking not for myself, btw. I'm looking into either another X2 machine or even Core 2 Duo.

But, the upgrade would be using current hardware, a socket A (462) motherboard and DDR memory. Thus, it's a comparison of price/performance of the Athlon XP CPU (fastest being 3200+ or 3400+) compared to additional cost of a AMD 64 X2 processor and probably a 939 motherboard in order to further save cost (and avoid needing to buy DDR2 RAM). If the budget was less constricted, then yeah, it would be best to buy the more available motherboards and then add DDR2 RAM etc.

Actually, socket 939 X2 processors are MORE expensive than socket am2 x2 processors. Also, you can get very cheap Am2 motherboards nowaday. There's some motherboards (asrock brand I believe) that supports both ddr and ddr2 and is also socket am2, so you should look into that if you're not willing to spend more money on ddr2 ram. Also, you don't need a 64 bit operating system to take advantage of a 64 bit processor, a 32 bit one will suffice you.
April 15, 2007 4:12:25 AM

Quote:
[
Actually, socket 939 X2 processors are MORE expensive than socket am2 x2 processors. Also, you can get very cheap Am2 motherboards nowaday. There's some motherboards (asrock brand I believe) that supports both ddr and ddr2 and is also socket am2, so you should look into that if you're not willing to spend more money on ddr2 ram. Also, you don't need a 64 bit operating system to take advantage of a 64 bit processor, a 32 bit one will suffice you.

Okay. But, it's still cheaper to just upgrade a processor for a socket A motherboard so I need to know the price/performance differences to tell whether it's worth it to go with the am2 mb and cpu. I mean, I would like to find some benchmarks or tests showing the price/performance comparison or at the very least, read some stats.

Thanks for the info, though.
April 15, 2007 4:15:07 AM

Quote:

MarriedwMortgage, I think it is just supply and demand. AMD is not manufacturing the Athlon XP chips anymore and they are not in great supply. But, there's still a lot of people out there still using the older motherboards with the Athlon XP 64 processors. It's either spend extra for the required hardware (DDR2 RAM for e.g., plus PCI-e video cards etc.) or upgrade current hardware for a cheaper cost. So, it's not really AMD's fault. I could be wrong about this but that is how I understand it so far.

Yes, I went the route of upgrade to the C2D but honestly AMD could have gotten $100 out of me if the XP chips where reasonable. I can't believe many people are buying XP chips at the prices they are asking. If the cut prices on them at least they would make some money off them.
April 15, 2007 4:58:26 AM

Quote:
[

Okay. But, it's still cheaper to just upgrade a processor for a socket A motherboard so I need to know the price/performance differences to tell whether it's worth it to go with the am2 mb and cpu. I mean, I would like to find some benchmarks or tests showing the price/performance comparison or at the very least, read some stats.

Quite frankly, you'd have to be crazy to buy an Athlon XP processor when you can get an Athlon 64 X2 3600+ and a socket AM2 motherboard for $130 combined. Sticking with legacy hardware is foolish as it'll just continue to get more expensive and harder to find as time goes on--and the performance sucks.
April 15, 2007 5:09:36 AM

Quote:
[

AND, on top of that, you won't notice barely any difference between the two processors since they both have the same architecture and the only difference is how they are clocked. Those processors are so outdated that it would be difficult to find a price/performance chart for them.
a b à CPUs
April 15, 2007 5:51:37 AM

Overclock.
April 15, 2007 6:27:31 AM

Quote:

Comments?

That is pretty easy to do. Look at the Tom's CPU charts from 2005. The Barton XP 3200+ is choosable.
!