Next gen CPU question

troy88

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
based on what we know right now what would be the better CPU, AMD barcelona or Intels Pyren? i know there no way to know for sure right now but if you had to put your money on one which would it be?

based on what we know right now
Which ain't much, save a few early silicon tests and a couple of slide shows.

what would be the better CPU, AMD Barcelona or Intel's Penryn? i know there no way to know for sure right now but if you had to put your money on one which would it be?
See above answer. Neither has suitable benches out to make a valid, informed decision. Check back in 3 to 4 months for a better answer.

troy88

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
as far as upgrade potential goes, in the penryn socketed 775? how long do you think intel will use this socket? i heard that the AM2 socket is going to be used in the next 3 years, would this justife purchasing a X2 5600 over a E6420?

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
as far as upgrade potential goes, in the penryn socketed 775? how long do you think intel will use this socket? i heard that the AM2 socket is going to be used in the next 3 years, would this justife purchasing a X2 5600 over a E6420?

AM2 will be compatible with processors until about mid 2008, when they will require AM3 (switch to DDR3 and other things). AM2+ will be compatible with every AM2/AM2+/AM3 processor, as things stand now, and so once it comes out will probably have a lifespan that goes into 2009.

Socket 775 in itself will last until mid 2008 when Intel unveils their totally new architecture. As it is, it is unknown if even Penryn (45nm "shrink" of current processors coming out later this year) will work in all current C2D compatible motherboards.

knowsitall

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2006
if i had to guess.. i would say amd is gonna come back with a slap in the face on intel. Even if intels chips are more powerful, i say amd is gonna drop their prices and take the best bang for the buck throne. I m no amd fanboy, i own a intel, but i think amd is gonna have some sweet deals and nice overclockers. Or this can be vice-versa. I expect deals so sweet and nice i m gonna be sitting her regretting buying my system since i wont upgrade for another 3 years probably! :(