Upgrade to Windows 7 64-bit with a 32-bit key.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamesyboy

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
The Book-Store (don't ask me why they call it a bookstore, when 99% of the time they sell clothing, and electronics) was lucky enough to have copies of windows 7 for sale at a discount. I bought my Windows 7 32-Bit Upgrade disc (this was the only flavor they sell) for 60-70 dollars. After purchasing, they had me sign a contract agreeing not to misuse it...blah blah blah, and they took down my product key and information.

The contract i signed agreed that i would install this on a maximum of 2 computers. I thought nothing of it, because at the time, i was using it solely for my laptop, and didn't have any need to address more than 3.8 gigs of ram (or w/e it is).

But now that i've decided to install Windows 7 on my gaming pc, i need the 64 bit version (i7--x58--6GB ddr3).

I later found that the keys aren't tied down to a specific version of windows (32 or 64 bit), and the microsoft activation support people told me i could use a friends 64 bit upgrade disc--no problem.

The only problem i have is: out of the 20 geeks i know, only 1 of them has an upgrade set, and it's not Professional!!!

What do i do? Can i use a full-install cd when doing an in place upgrade with my upgrade key?

A detailed explanation would help.

jamesyboy

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
I'll answer my own question here. I suppose i got lucky.

I installed windows vista ultimate 64 bit, then used a full-install windows 7 64 bit professional SP1 disc and while windows vista was running, i popped in the disc. From there i chose to do a custom install.

Although i was unable to do a in place install, i got myself out of this seemingly impossible muck with win7 pro 32 bit.

1) Something is amiss. The only multi pc windows-7 package that I know of is the family pack which allows installation on three pc's.
I suspect you got a family pack that has already been used once and has two remaining installs. I think there is fraud here.

2) I think all of the windows 7 dvd's are exactly the same, and they include components for all versions. Which version(home, pro, ultimate) you install and how(clean vs upgrade) is validated by the product key. There is a 32 bit dvd and a 64 bit dvd.

3) The product key is insensitive to the 32 bit or 64 bit flavor,allowing you to change either way.

jamesyboy

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
I've checked with the IT department and it's part of a Microsoft Partner Volume Licensing Deal.

Whether or not it's against their contract with Msoft to give them out in exchange for money, i'm not sure. I know they sell office as well....as a student discount, but with a retail box.

I'll definitely be investigating further.

Status
Not open for further replies.