Core 2 DUO temp Problems

Rhodan

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007
Hey all,

I recently purchased a new system, with an e6600 (2.4ghz) core 2 duo processor on a Gigabyte 965P-DS3P motherboard in a Coolermaster Centurion 534 case.

I am having serious problems however as the core 2 duo cheap is getting incredibly hot, running at 70-80 degrees (C) when it full use, it gets so hot that about 15 minutes into any gaming, the system turns itself off due to the heat.

Now, using TAT, Speedfan and the Easytune monitors, I get:

Which, if it isnt clear, is telling me:

Easytune is saying that my CPU temp is at 35C,
TAT is saying my CPU0 and CPU1 temps are ~68C
Speedfan is saying that:

T1 = 50C
T2 = 35C
T3 = 1C
HDO = 45C
CPU0 = 66C
CPU1 = 66C

From the looks of that, it would appear that the Easytune CPU temp corresponds with the T2 temp from speedfan. Also, these temps are IDLE temps are about average for the idle temps for me right now.

According to TAT, the ACPI Thermal Zone Temp is 0C, does this matter at all?

I have no idea what most of this means, so could anyone who knows what their doing have a look at it for me and explain why these temps are so different?

Thanks.

Rhodan

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2007
Having the same problem here. Brand new E6600 and way too hot. You at stock speeds? Where did you buy from?

Yeh its at stock speeds.

Got mine from Umart Online (www.umart.com.au)

EDIT:

Just thought, would a lower than required PSU cause overheating? I have a 550watt PSU but its powering:

E6600 Core 2 Duo
320Gb Seagate Hard Drive
DVD drive
8800 GTS
2gb Ram

bobjmoran

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2007
If SpeedFan is reporting your V-Core correctly, it is way too high (2.3 to 2.7V) you should be able to get by with stock V-core 1.2V at stock speed.

dr_kuli

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
SpeedFan is simply not configured, nearly all readings are erroneous. The only ones, which seems to be proper, are core 0/1 temps, which are detected on the same manner as in CoreTemp 0.94 beta. But they are way too high, assuming idle/1.6% load!

randomizer

Champion
Considering one of your fans is reported at over 1.3 million RPM, I think speedfan is just incorrectly configured. But the temps are likely right. Check your BIOS to see what it reports for vcore, as I seriously doubt you have it at 2.3/2.7V (or your C2D would be dead); no mobo can go that high. Read the C2D temp guide sticky.

dr_kuli

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
Not to be rude, but... I still say it's better to know what is Vcore, how to adjust it and what for ;-) than adjust something about what someone has no elementary knowledge and what seems to be autoconfigured by BIOS.

dr_kuli

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
:) You've omitted probably, that my post was in reply to rammedstein :) I surely don't believe in 2.3/2.7 Vcore in this example.

dr_kuli

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
I have no idea what most of this means, so could anyone who knows what their doing have a look at it for me and explain why these temps are so different?

Read the C2D Temp Guide sticky & SpeedFan help. The most probable reason of such high temps on cores 0/1 (CPU 0/1 in SpeedFan & TAT) is improperly seated heatsink and/or inactive CPU fan on it. It often happens during shipping.

rammedstein

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2006
i don't think it is either, that would be nuts, the processor would be as hot as a short circuit. but what I'm saying is, that if it idles at that temp, when everything else is correct, it has to have some input. open up your bios, go in to frequency/voltage control, or MIT depending and set your vcore to 1.25, that should be fine for stock speeds, see how it runs with that setting and tell us.

dr_kuli

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
it gets so hot that about 15 minutes into any gaming, the system turns itself off due to the heat.
so everything else is not correct. I don't know any mobo autoconfiguring abnormally high Vcore on stock clock. And I know a lot of improperly shipped PC, reaching customers with HSF flying free in the case. And SpeedFan readings are simply erroneous in this example, because of no user configuration for this specific mobo & monitoring chip. Even EasyTune readings are erroneous, I'm nearly sure that CPU & System temps are swapped.

Alsone

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2006
Check your BIOS settings because if the vcore is really abnormally high then you could be cooking your cpu and this would also explain the high temps, my vcore according to Asus AI Booster (overclocking facility) is at 1.31 volts, my cpu temp for my E6660 is 34C.

Also, have you checked the CPU fan is actually turning?

I have the E6600 and when I 1st fitted it there was a wiring error that meant that the fan didn't turn. I showed 60-70C with no fan which accords with what you are saying for a standard speed E6600 C2D.

If the CPU is at standard speed, then:

The other thing it could be if the fan is turning is a heatsink thats not properly seated - usually due to the pc being jolted whilst being moved (or shipped) but can also be due to it being improperly fitted in the 1st place.

If you bought it ready made, arrange to have it looked at.

If its a self build:

a) Check the CPU fan is physically turning (ignore what the software is saying make a visual check), if not correct it or replace fan.

b) If it is, and voltage is set correctly, get some Artic Silver 5 and some Articlean. Remove the fan and heatsink from the processor (use care so as not to pull the processor out and damage the pins (I always try to hold the processor underneath the heat sink before lifting). Having removed it, clean both the top of the cpu and the contact are of the heatink with arti clean, check on the AS web site as to the correct way to apply AS5 to your processor and apply as per the instructions, the reseat the fan in accordance with the instructions being careful not to lift once seated (air and fingerprints interfere with the efficient removal of heat). Once seated fasten the clips and try again. Reseating the heat sink often solves many temp related problems.

fate0n3

Distinguished
Oct 15, 2006
Yea I am like the several other posters no stock mb is going to be capable of hitting that kind of vcore stock. Also i would have to agree that either speed fan is incorrectly reading or something is def. wrong with that machine. Look at what it is reading the +12v to be... 3.58v that is a WAY off. Check Bios to see what it has your VCORE set to there. Also check to see what it is reading for all your power. If somehow ( I wouldn't know how ) your +12v is somehow 3.58v something is def. wrong with your PSU or MB.

dr_kuli

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
I'm afraid he cannot check any voltage in BIOS, simply because this is Gigabyte mobo! Apart from hitting Ctrl+F1 to see hidden settings (Vcore also!) the only thing which he can see there is "OK" for ANY voltage. I wasn't successful enough to provoke Gigabyte BIOS to say anything else about voltages, even with Vcore higher than 1.5V!!! This is the way Gigabyte BIOS monitors voltages :mrgreen:

dr_kuli

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2007
:) It's VERY accurate (when properly configured), might be VERY frustrating (to configure) and ugly (comparing to some eyecandies, like EasyTune or CoreCenter) :)

rushfan

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
I would reseat the CPU cooler, first thing.

I had to tweak SpeedFan to get it to display accurate results for my DS3 - it didn't work "out of the box" at first.

It is not unusual for the HSF to loosen a little in a system that has been moved. Ditto with expansion cards.