hdtv comparison question

Last response: in Home Theatre
Share
November 7, 2004 9:52:36 PM

Wondering if someone who has had experience with both types could steer me
in the right direction:

I'm wondering what is better quality? (For NFL hdtv)

A hdtv (with either set top tuner or built in), with over the air antenna
or, hdtv (with either set top tuner or built in),
with a hd cable box (warner)?

Satellite is not an option for me.

I've seen digital cable boxes and they are very glitchy.
Would it be the same way with the antenna and tuner?

Also does anybody know where to find an NFL hdtv broadcast schedule? Just
how many are broadcast in hdtv?

thanks
November 8, 2004 1:02:13 AM

OTA if you can receive it is ALWAYS better than cable. It's not compressed
and it's direct from the horses mouth so to speak...not retransmitted
several times over satellite.
"kb" <itsme@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
> Wondering if someone who has had experience with both types could steer me
> in the right direction:
>
> I'm wondering what is better quality? (For NFL hdtv)
>
> A hdtv (with either set top tuner or built in), with over the air antenna
> or, hdtv (with either set top tuner or built in),
> with a hd cable box (warner)?
>
> Satellite is not an option for me.
>
> I've seen digital cable boxes and they are very glitchy.
> Would it be the same way with the antenna and tuner?
>
> Also does anybody know where to find an NFL hdtv broadcast schedule? Just
> how many are broadcast in hdtv?
>
> thanks

Anonymous
November 8, 2004 3:39:00 AM

kb wrote:

> Wondering if someone who has had experience with both types could steer me
> in the right direction:
>
> I'm wondering what is better quality? (For NFL hdtv)
>
> A hdtv (with either set top tuner or built in), with over the air antenna
> or, hdtv (with either set top tuner or built in),
> with a hd cable box (warner)?
>
> Satellite is not an option for me.
>
> I've seen digital cable boxes and they are very glitchy.
> Would it be the same way with the antenna and tuner?
>
> Also does anybody know where to find an NFL hdtv broadcast schedule? Just
> how many are broadcast in hdtv?
>
> thanks

HDTV Programs are delivered in 3 ways: Cable TV, Satellite

Dish TV, and local OTA Digital TV....

NFL games Televised each 'regular week' in CSTime are:

FOX-HD Sunday 12 noon & 3:15 PM (two games)

CBS-HD Sunday 12 noon & 3:15 PM (two games)

ESPN-HD Sunday Night 7:30 PM (1 game)

ABC-HD Monday Night at 8 PM (1 game)

FOX-HD owns 6 HD studio (NFL) Trucks

CBS-HD Rents up to 4 HD Studio (NFL) Trucks

To cover these NFL options usually take two modes:

Such as Cable & OTA Local HD Reception since

ESPN-HD is usually never carried on OTA HD TV...

To figure out which HD Networks are in your area:

Enter your 9 digit ZIP Code in http://www.antennaweb.org

And not all 'local' Networks are similar Stages of Power,

of HDTV pass thru capability, and Dolby Digital audio...

All CAble TV systems have large variances in NFL

Program Content due to 'location', contracts, &

and installed hardware capability..... UNder Standing

your local HDTV NFL reception options requires finding

one smart local person... or a series of visits

to your Local TV Stores & finding a few to Talk....

Since Stores have either Dish feeds or in House Feeds,

they tend to talk HDTV Programming in terms of 'Party Line'...

And that's not Good for HDTV Sales... Amen....

Related resources
November 8, 2004 9:14:48 AM

On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 22:02:13 -0500, "curmudgeon"
<curmudgeon@buzzoff.net> wrote:

>OTA if you can receive it is ALWAYS better than cable. It's not compressed
>and it's direct from the horses mouth so to speak...not retransmitted
>several times over satellite.
No it isn't "always better than cable.
Thumper
>"kb" <itsme@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Wondering if someone who has had experience with both types could steer me
>> in the right direction:
>>
>> I'm wondering what is better quality? (For NFL hdtv)
>>
>> A hdtv (with either set top tuner or built in), with over the air antenna
>> or, hdtv (with either set top tuner or built in),
>> with a hd cable box (warner)?
>>
>> Satellite is not an option for me.
>>
>> I've seen digital cable boxes and they are very glitchy.
>> Would it be the same way with the antenna and tuner?
>>
>> Also does anybody know where to find an NFL hdtv broadcast schedule? Just
>> how many are broadcast in hdtv?
>>
>> thanks

To reply drop XYZ in address
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 2:19:44 PM

"kb" <itsme@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
> Wondering if someone who has had experience with both types could steer me
> in the right direction:
>
> I'm wondering what is better quality? (For NFL hdtv)
>
> A hdtv (with either set top tuner or built in), with over the air antenna
> or, hdtv (with either set top tuner or built in),
> with a hd cable box (warner)?

the output from OTA receivers - either integrated or STB is identical
the cable HD box similarly outputs whatever it gets and there could be the
rub

According to Dr. Mike Bove,professor at MIT who runs the consumer
electronics research group for the Media Lab, many cable systems recompress
the local HD OTA to a smaller bandwidth (lower real res) than the original.

If this is the case, then the OTA signal could be higher resolution or more
free from artifacts than the cable version - or identical, depending on your
local system.

Now... what you do loose is the secondary channels the OTA stations may
broadcast. For instance, here in Richmond, WWBT-HD broadcasts local radar on
12-3 but Comcast doesn't carry it. WRIC-DT has also carried sports
multicasts that the cable guys don't carry as well.
November 8, 2004 4:01:05 PM

High def over the air IS always better than cable. Period. or at least
until you show me a cable company that doesn't compress their digital
signals to cram more stuff into smaller spaces.

"Thumper" <jaylsmithXYZ@comcast.net> wrote in message
news:D j3uo01l3nairv1lomilgaru3fp9ln320a@4ax.com...
> On Sun, 7 Nov 2004 22:02:13 -0500, "curmudgeon"
> <curmudgeon@buzzoff.net> wrote:
>
>>OTA if you can receive it is ALWAYS better than cable. It's not
>>compressed
>>and it's direct from the horses mouth so to speak...not retransmitted
>>several times over satellite.
> No it isn't "always better than cable.
> Thumper
>>"kb" <itsme@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
>>> Wondering if someone who has had experience with both types could steer
>>> me
>>> in the right direction:
>>>
>>> I'm wondering what is better quality? (For NFL hdtv)
>>>
>>> A hdtv (with either set top tuner or built in), with over the air
>>> antenna
>>> or, hdtv (with either set top tuner or built in),
>>> with a hd cable box (warner)?
>>>
>>> Satellite is not an option for me.
>>>
>>> I've seen digital cable boxes and they are very glitchy.
>>> Would it be the same way with the antenna and tuner?
>>>
>>> Also does anybody know where to find an NFL hdtv broadcast schedule?
>>> Just
>>> how many are broadcast in hdtv?
>>>
>>> thanks
>>>

> To reply drop XYZ in address
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 7:25:01 PM

I have not tried OTA but I had an HDTV digital cable box before I got a
CableCard. CableCard is definitely better.

mack
austin

"kb" <itsme@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
> Wondering if someone who has had experience with both types could steer me
> in the right direction:
>
> I'm wondering what is better quality? (For NFL hdtv)
>
> A hdtv (with either set top tuner or built in), with over the air antenna
> or, hdtv (with either set top tuner or built in),
> with a hd cable box (warner)?
>
> Satellite is not an option for me.
>
> I've seen digital cable boxes and they are very glitchy.
> Would it be the same way with the antenna and tuner?
>
> Also does anybody know where to find an NFL hdtv broadcast schedule? Just
> how many are broadcast in hdtv?
>
> thanks

November 8, 2004 8:27:49 PM

Why, not as glitchy? You picked up a digital cable ready tv I assume?
kb

"Mack McKinnon" <MckinnonRemoveThis@tvadmanDeleteThisAsWell.com> wrote in
message news:x5Njd.38600$tL5.5658@fe2.texas.rr.com...
>I have not tried OTA but I had an HDTV digital cable box before I got a
> CableCard. CableCard is definitely better.
>
> mack
> austin
>

> "kb" <itsme@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
>> Wondering if someone who has had experience with both types could steer
>> me
>> in the right direction:
>>
>> I'm wondering what is better quality? (For NFL hdtv)
>>
>> A hdtv (with either set top tuner or built in), with over the air antenna
>> or, hdtv (with either set top tuner or built in),
>> with a hd cable box (warner)?
>>
>> Satellite is not an option for me.
>>
>> I've seen digital cable boxes and they are very glitchy.
>> Would it be the same way with the antenna and tuner?
>>
>> Also does anybody know where to find an NFL hdtv broadcast schedule? Just
>> how many are broadcast in hdtv?
>>
>> thanks

Anonymous
November 9, 2004 8:33:16 AM

"kb" <itsme@wi.rr.com> wrote in message news:<7gTjd.28713$Df1.28512@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com>...
> Why, not as glitchy? You picked up a digital cable ready tv I assume?
> kb
>
> "Mack McKinnon" <MckinnonRemoveThis@tvadmanDeleteThisAsWell.com> wrote in
> message news:x5Njd.38600$tL5.5658@fe2.texas.rr.com...
> >I have not tried OTA but I had an HDTV digital cable box before I got a
> > CableCard. CableCard is definitely better.
> >
> > mack
> > austin
> >

> > "kb" <itsme@wi.rr.com> wrote in message
> >> Wondering if someone who has had experience with both types could steer
> >> me
> >> in the right direction:
> >>
> >> I'm wondering what is better quality? (For NFL hdtv)
> >>
> >> A hdtv (with either set top tuner or built in), with over the air antenna
> >> or, hdtv (with either set top tuner or built in),
> >> with a hd cable box (warner)?
> >>
> >> Satellite is not an option for me.
> >>
> >> I've seen digital cable boxes and they are very glitchy.
> >> Would it be the same way with the antenna and tuner?
> >>
> >> Also does anybody know where to find an NFL hdtv broadcast schedule? Just
> >> how many are broadcast in hdtv?
> >>
> >> thanks

You might get a better answer and discussion if you describe what
problems you've seen with an HDTV cable box. Just calling them
glitchy could mean almost anything.
!