"Floppy Disk(s) fail (40)" ?????

COLLINS311

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
What does this message mean? When I turn on PC forthe first time everything is detected but get to this and then tells me to hit F1 or Del. I made sure the FDD cables are connected correctly. Is there anything else I should be looking for? This is on an EVGA 680i board, and the FDD is just an OEM Sony drive i picked up on newegg. Any opinions or direction would be much appreciated...thank you much!

COLLINS311

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
PLEASE IGNORE!!!! I'M AN IDIOT AND HAD THE CABLE(RED STRIPE) ON THE WRONG SIDE....before I posted, i sworeI had it correct! Sorry for everyone that reads this!

COLLINS311

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2007
yeah, i was thinking the red strip was supposed to be away from the power connector, or least thats what I read and it was consistent with the other drives I had connected with IDE cables. Beats me, not a big problem...things could be worse. Thanks again though for posting your ideas and opinions...now I know for next time.

randomizer

Champion
lol, its not usually the cable that is at fault, most floppy drives are dual keyed (he a key slot on both sides) for some odd awful reason.
Floppy drives/disks... pathetic technology that has never improved. They could have at least made them faster so that BIOS updates take less time. :p

3lfk1ng

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
I ripped mine out and never went back about 4 years ago. They never worked for me anyways....

EXAMPLE:

file>save as>a: *click click click click click* "fail"
file>save as>a: *click click* "pass"
file>open>a: *click click click click click* "corrupt data"

or

file>save as>a: *click click* saving.. *click click* File is too big make space for 2kb more.

God I hate them...

Motherboards that come with floppy disk's today piss me off to no extent :evil:
Get with the program GUYS it's 2007!

They should have done away with Floppies the same time they did away with ISA slots :p :p

randomizer

Champion
lol (for once, literally) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Whats that guy on? I have a floppy that for some reason doesnt fit in the drive bay, and I only use it for BIOS updates. Maybe I should use my flash drive now... only, I dont know how to. Do you just put the DOS boot files on it along with the flash program and BIOS file? Btw, has anyone flashed their BIOS with a floppy, and not been able to save the old one coz theres no room? :lol: Floppies are uselessly small. But fun to play around with once you rip out the actual "floppy" disk.

hergieburbur

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2005
Can't help you there, never tried it. Both my boards that are currently in use support flashing the BIOS from within Windows. I would guess thats all you have to do, along with setting your current BIOS to support booting from USB. There's always Google...