"Floppy Disk(s) fail (40)" ?????

What does this message mean? When I turn on PC forthe first time everything is detected but get to this and then tells me to hit F1 or Del. I made sure the FDD cables are connected correctly. Is there anything else I should be looking for? This is on an EVGA 680i board, and the FDD is just an OEM Sony drive i picked up on newegg. Any opinions or direction would be much appreciated...thank you much!
16 answers Last reply
More about floppy disk fail
  1. PLEASE IGNORE!!!! I'M AN IDIOT AND HAD THE CABLE(RED STRIPE) ON THE WRONG SIDE....before I posted, i sworeI had it correct! Sorry for everyone that reads this!
  2. How did you get it in wrong? Isnt your cable keyed so it only goes in one way?
  3. Idjiot.... :) I HATE it when cables / connectors are not properly keyed...
  4. Thats right, I remember I had a floppy cable that wasnt keyed once. Got it right tho so I was OK. Mostly the older cables I think.
  5. lol, its not usually the cable that is at fault, most floppy drives are dual keyed (he a key slot on both sides) for some odd awful reason.
  6. yeah, i was thinking the red strip was supposed to be away from the power connector, or least thats what I read and it was consistent with the other drives I had connected with IDE cables. Beats me, not a big problem...things could be worse. Thanks again though for posting your ideas and opinions...now I know for next time.
  7. Did it not give you a constant light? Thats the dead give away :)

It has happened to everyone
  8. Quote:
    lol, its not usually the cable that is at fault, most floppy drives are dual keyed (he a key slot on both sides) for some odd awful reason.

Floppy drives/disks... pathetic technology that has never improved. They could have at least made them faster so that BIOS updates take less time. :P
  9. I ripped mine out and never went back about 4 years ago. They never worked for me anyways....

EXAMPLE:

file>save as>a: *click click click click click* "fail"
    file>save as>a: *click click* "pass"
    file>open>a: *click click click click click* "corrupt data"

or

file>save as>a: *click click* saving.. *click click* File is too big make space for 2kb more.

God I hate them...

Motherboards that come with floppy disk's today piss me off to no extent :evil:
    Get with the program GUYS it's 2007!

They should have done away with Floppies the same time they did away with ISA slots :P :P
  10. Or at least made them more reliable and faster and with more space. The glories of flash drives...
  11. If you haven't seen it, you guys should love this thread: USB or Not to USB Floppy Drive
  12. lol (for once, literally) :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Whats that guy on? I have a floppy that for some reason doesnt fit in the drive bay, and I only use it for BIOS updates. Maybe I should use my flash drive now... only, I dont know how to. Do you just put the DOS boot files on it along with the flash program and BIOS file? Btw, has anyone flashed their BIOS with a floppy, and not been able to save the old one coz theres no room? :lol: Floppies are uselessly small. But fun to play around with once you rip out the actual "floppy" disk.
  13. Can't help you there, never tried it. Both my boards that are currently in use support flashing the BIOS from within Windows. I would guess thats all you have to do, along with setting your current BIOS to support booting from USB. There's always Google...
  14. We advertise google freely so much, dont know why they bother advertising themselves. Those windows flash things dont work with me, I dont trust M$ software enough with my BIOS.
  15. I've never had much trouble with the ones I've used, but I don't think MS has much to do with it.
  16. Well if windows starts doing some background task while I'm updating the BIOS, its screwed. Thats what I dont trust about windows.
Ask a new question

Read More

Homebuilt Floppy Disk Systems