Ongoing cable issues!!

Last response: in Home Theatre
November 8, 2004 7:56:27 AM

I subscribe to TW cable and have digital and HD access. All of my digital
channels keep cutting out. Either the picture goes completely black
momentarily or there is severe pixelization (is that a correct word?).
Anyhow, I also have experienced allot of problems with RR and it is often
very slow as well. I've had the tech's out several times. Once they
replaced the cable to the house and all was good for a few months, then the
signal started to deteriorate again. The last time they said I had to many
outlets in my home, that the signal coming in was of adequate strength and
that I would have to buy an amplifier. I have a drop in each of five rooms
and they are single drops directly to the T.V.'s, no splitter, run through
VCR's, etc. Anyhow, I continue to have issues and what I don't understand
is how it worked fine for all the T.V.'s before, but now it's my problem.

Any recommendations?? I really love HDTV, but it's hard to watch when you
can't get the picture to stay on for more than a minute or two.

Thanks

More about : ongoing cable issues

Anonymous
November 8, 2004 7:56:28 AM

Jack Dotson wrote:

> I subscribe to TW cable and have digital and HD access. All of my digital
> channels keep cutting out. Either the picture goes completely black
> momentarily or there is severe pixelization (is that a correct word?).
> Anyhow, I also have experienced allot of problems with RR and it is often
> very slow as well. I've had the tech's out several times. Once they
> replaced the cable to the house and all was good for a few months, then the
> signal started to deteriorate again. The last time they said I had to many
> outlets in my home, that the signal coming in was of adequate strength and
> that I would have to buy an amplifier. I have a drop in each of five rooms
> and they are single drops directly to the T.V.'s, no splitter, run through
> VCR's, etc. Anyhow, I continue to have issues and what I don't understand
> is how it worked fine for all the T.V.'s before, but now it's my problem.
>
> Any recommendations?? I really love HDTV, but it's hard to watch when you
> can't get the picture to stay on for more than a minute or two.
>
> Thanks

Jack:

I've had Time Warner HD Cable in GBay, Wi for 1 year now.....

I had the house with 3 runs (TW 3 way splitter) totally rewired

from pole to basement to both the HD & regular TV sets...

My RG-59 cable was scrapped... RG-6 dual shielded fully

installed by TWCable..... as a freebie...

Cable HD has been superb since...

Now there are good techs & avg & poor techs... Only

ask for the best TWC tech in your City !!!!!

Good Cable readout values on HD signal strength should

be from +1 db to +10 db before the Set Top Box... Mine SA3250HD...

Any thing less as -db reading is not top notch!!

Each of the 5 home HD Cable endings should be read &

written down.... Reading after the SA3250HD box should be 7 db

less... Cable reading sig strengths are read on TWC portable

instrument... Reading in db after the SA3250HD in read on

the TV screen based upon 3250HD service menu....

HDTV cable requires a very good signal due to the different

high frequencies

of transmission & due to the large volume of data passing thru....

Five 'splitters' in a home.... A 4 way balanced splitter is

better for the Sensitive HD signal.... Best is a 4 way
splitter

just inside the Basement wall... with 4 cable runs....

and the Best reading cable of the bunch should be for HD Use..

IF daisy chained multiple splitter are used...

there could be a HD but not Analog TV feed Problem...

Telling us the actual TWC sig Strength of each cable

end may define the Problem 'very well'...

My TWC prob showed as a white screen on some Cable HD channels,

frequent pixelation oh Some HD Chans, & as low -37 db reading

with 2 splitter & RG-59 home cable use.

Nuff said for now... except the friendly local TWC Engineer

selected which Tech was to evaluate my Probs after

a TWC contract tech messed up my Pic & Pic & DVI support...
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 9:15:04 AM

"Jack Dotson" <jdotson@stx.rr.com> wrote:

>I subscribe to TW cable and have digital and HD access. All of my digital
>channels keep cutting out. Either the picture goes completely black
>momentarily or there is severe pixelization (is that a correct word?).
>Anyhow, I also have experienced allot of problems with RR and it is often
>very slow as well. I've had the tech's out several times. Once they
>replaced the cable to the house and all was good for a few months, then the
>signal started to deteriorate again. The last time they said I had to many
>outlets in my home, that the signal coming in was of adequate strength and
>that I would have to buy an amplifier. I have a drop in each of five rooms
>and they are single drops directly to the T.V.'s, no splitter, run through
>VCR's, etc. Anyhow, I continue to have issues and what I don't understand
>is how it worked fine for all the T.V.'s before, but now it's my problem.
>
>Any recommendations?? I really love HDTV, but it's hard to watch when you
>can't get the picture to stay on for more than a minute or two.

You have five drops and no splitter? Or just one on the incoming
cable with at least five outputs? And does that include your cable
modem, or is that a sixth drop? I'd say the tech is right; you're
knocking the signal down too much and you need an amplifier.

Quick test: disconnect the incoming cable from your distribution and
connect it to just your HD receiver. See if that fixes the problem.
Then connect it to just the cable modem and see if your RR speed
improves. If so, an amp will probably fix it.

The amp must be intended for cable, not OTA antenna, because the
frequency ranges are different. And it must be bidirectional for RR,
VOD and maybe the guide to work (not sure how interactive that is).
Radio Shack's #15-2506, about $50, should do the job. It has only
four outputs, so you'll need at least a two-way splitter on one of
them. Don't put it in the line to the HD tuner or the cable modem.

Del Mibbler <mibbler@nycap.rr.com>
November 8, 2004 11:27:23 AM

"Dennis Mayer" <Polaris1@execpc.com> wrote in message

> Jack Dotson wrote:
> >
> > I subscribe to TW cable and have digital and HD access. All of my
digital
> > channels keep cutting out. Either the picture goes completely black
> > momentarily or there is severe pixelization (is that a correct word?).
> > Anyhow, I also have experienced allot of problems with RR and it is
often
> > very slow as well. I've had the tech's out several times. Once they
> > replaced the cable to the house and all was good for a few months, then
the
> > signal started to deteriorate again. The last time they said I had to
many
> > outlets in my home, that the signal coming in was of adequate strength
and
> > that I would have to buy an amplifier. I have a drop in each of five
rooms
> > and they are single drops directly to the T.V.'s, no splitter, run
through
> > VCR's, etc. Anyhow, I continue to have issues and what I don't
understand
> > is how it worked fine for all the T.V.'s before, but now it's my
problem.

> > Any recommendations?? I really love HDTV, but it's hard to watch when
you
> > can't get the picture to stay on for more than a minute or two.
> >
> > Thanks
The previous post was very good, I'll only add why. Cable companys choose
the upper channels for digital as they have more problems with analog on
those frequencys. There is more loss per foot of cable at upper channels
and digital channels will usually give you a perfect picture where most
analog signals would have from a very grainy picture to very snowy.

HD because it's sending 5 times more information than an analog or SD
channel starts to get flaky on some peoples cable installation. Replacing
the wire with RG-6 helps, installing a GOOD amplifier and good splitters
help. Making sure all connectors are tight and CLEAN helps.

Cable companys give you enough signal to power two sets. Long cable runs or
more drops (even if a set is not connected) and you need an amplifier. Now
you inject a possiblity of more problems. You usually can't get good
amplifiers at Radio Shack or Walmart. While they will work with a typical
antenna installation (only a few channels) a cable installation will cause
harmonics, (beat patterns), cross talk, overdrive and massive noise.
Again these problems will interfere with HD reception.
Anonymous
November 8, 2004 7:12:05 PM

"Jack Dotson" <jdotson@stx.rr.com> wrote in message
> I subscribe to TW cable and have digital and HD access. All of my digital
> channels keep cutting out. Either the picture goes completely black
> momentarily or there is severe pixelization (is that a correct word?).
> Anyhow, I also have experienced allot of problems with RR and it is often
> very slow as well. I've had the tech's out several times. Once they
> replaced the cable to the house and all was good for a few months, then
the
> signal started to deteriorate again. The last time they said I had to
many
> outlets in my home, that the signal coming in was of adequate strength and
> that I would have to buy an amplifier. I have a drop in each of five
rooms
> and they are single drops directly to the T.V.'s, no splitter, run through
> VCR's, etc. Anyhow, I continue to have issues and what I don't understand
> is how it worked fine for all the T.V.'s before, but now it's my problem.
>
> Any recommendations?? I really love HDTV, but it's hard to watch when you
> can't get the picture to stay on for more than a minute or two.

We have two separate Time-Warner accounts, one for our main house and
another for my office in the back yard. Each has Roadrunner. In the house,
there are several wall-drops.

In the attic, there is an amplifier that feeds all the wall drops in the
house. That's essential. Also, the Roadrunner cable comes into the house
on its own line. Not sure whether that goes all the way back to the pole or
just to the outside of the house but the techs have pointed out that the RR
will never work right if it comes off that amplifier along with all the TV
signals.

With digital TV, as I understand it, your signal to noise ratio is very
important. If there are problems anywhere along the line that put this out
of spec, then you are going to have channels going black on you as the S/N
level varies.

So, if I were you, I would go along with the TW tech and let them install an
amplifier and have them run your RR via a separate line.

mack
austin
Anonymous
November 9, 2004 4:19:50 AM

snip

> We have two separate Time-Warner accounts, one for our main house and
> another for my office in the back yard. Each has Roadrunner. In the
house,
> there are several wall-drops.
>
> In the attic, there is an amplifier that feeds all the wall drops in the
> house. That's essential. Also, the Roadrunner cable comes into the house
> on its own line. Not sure whether that goes all the way back to the pole
or
> just to the outside of the house but the techs have pointed out that the
RR
> will never work right if it comes off that amplifier along with all the TV
> signals.

They did not run a seperate line for my RR service. They split the between
the T.V. in this room and the RR modem. I had to remove the splitter in
this room and run straight to my RR modem for it to work. It sounds like I
need a good amplifer five outlets. Anyone care to make a recommendation?

> With digital TV, as I understand it, your signal to noise ratio is very
> important. If there are problems anywhere along the line that put this
out
> of spec, then you are going to have channels going black on you as the S/N
> level varies.

This is the way mine acts. When the picture is there it's very good,
especially on HD. But the drop out occur regurlary. I just hate to put out
money for an amp and only to find it did not resove my issue.

> So, if I were you, I would go along with the TW tech and let them install
an
> amplifier and have them run your RR via a separate line.

I would gladly have do so, but they didn't offer to install an amplifer,
they left that up to me.

> mack
> austin

Anonymous
November 9, 2004 4:56:38 AM

If at all possible, you really want for TW to install one of their
amplifiers. Some people have reported good success with RS amplifiers but
it has not cured the problem for others. Ann price wise, they are not a
bargain compared to the ones installed by the cable company. IIRC they are
about the same price as what TW would charge.

So far as determining whether or not you have a signal strength problem,
most HD boxes have a diagnostic mode which displays the signal strength.
Look and see what is actually getting to the box. If you can't get into the
diagnostic mode, post your box type here and someone should be able to tell
you how. Once you know for sure that you have a signal strength problem,
then you can get into the type of amp to install.

--Brian K. White

"Jack Dotson" <jdotson@stx.rr.com> wrote in message
> I subscribe to TW cable and have digital and HD access. All of my digital
> channels keep cutting out. Either the picture goes completely black
> momentarily or there is severe pixelization (is that a correct word?).
> Anyhow, I also have experienced allot of problems with RR and it is often
> very slow as well. I've had the tech's out several times. Once they
> replaced the cable to the house and all was good for a few months, then
the
> signal started to deteriorate again. The last time they said I had to
many
> outlets in my home, that the signal coming in was of adequate strength and
> that I would have to buy an amplifier. I have a drop in each of five
rooms
> and they are single drops directly to the T.V.'s, no splitter, run through
> VCR's, etc. Anyhow, I continue to have issues and what I don't understand
> is how it worked fine for all the T.V.'s before, but now it's my problem.
>
> Any recommendations?? I really love HDTV, but it's hard to watch when you
> can't get the picture to stay on for more than a minute or two.
>
> Thanks

November 9, 2004 11:43:23 AM

Brian (and whomever)
I have on-going weak signal problems from Comcast (Detroit suburbs).
I'm into my seventh week of trying to get them to fix the problem, which
they now say is in their system somewhere.

I've broached the subject of a signal amp with them, but they suggest
that amps can cause adjacent channel interference.

I have a Motorola 6200 (6208?) DVR box. Would love to know how to
access the diagnostic mode to read the signal strength during times I'm
having problems. Would welcome help here. Are there external signal
amp measuring tools available for reasonable prices?

Rich

Brian K. White wrote:
> If at all possible, you really want for TW to install one of their
> amplifiers. Some people have reported good success with RS amplifiers but
> it has not cured the problem for others. Ann price wise, they are not a
> bargain compared to the ones installed by the cable company. IIRC they are
> about the same price as what TW would charge.
>
> So far as determining whether or not you have a signal strength problem,
> most HD boxes have a diagnostic mode which displays the signal strength.
> Look and see what is actually getting to the box. If you can't get into the
> diagnostic mode, post your box type here and someone should be able to tell
> you how. Once you know for sure that you have a signal strength problem,
> then you can get into the type of amp to install.
>
> --Brian K. White

Anonymous
November 9, 2004 9:17:40 PM

Brian, thanks for the help and also thanks to everyone, your assistance is
really appreciated. As for the box, I have a Scientific Explorer 3100HD. I
did some experimenting earlier today. The way they have my house wired is
there is a main wire feed coming into my attic and it goes into a two way
splitter. One leg was going directly to my RR modem (which I've had allot
of problems with) and the other to a 4way "Tap" which is labeled at 7.5 dB
at each output. These four feeds go to the living room, den, and two
bedroom (my HD set is in my living room. I disconnected all the
splitters/taps and hooked the main line to my HDTV and I took only minor
hits on the digital channels and everything was much better and I could live
with this. Next I tried a two way splitter and although it was not as bad
as before, the T.V. still dropped out intermittently, but usable. I hooked
the other output up to the other T.V's and to my RR and the RR started
dropping out intermittently again. When I switch it and the T.V the result
is the same. I figure the signal is only split once to the one out put and
the other 4X's which is why I get the performance issues. Looks like I
definitely have a weak signal issue, but I would think it should be good for
at least two drops. Anyhow they will be out tomorrow and I'm going to call
them today and ask they bring one of their amplifiers with them.

Thanks again.
"Brian K. White" <nospam@foxfire74.com> wrote in message
> If at all possible, you really want for TW to install one of their
> amplifiers. Some people have reported good success with RS amplifiers but
> it has not cured the problem for others. Ann price wise, they are not a
> bargain compared to the ones installed by the cable company. IIRC they
are
> about the same price as what TW would charge.
>
> So far as determining whether or not you have a signal strength problem,
> most HD boxes have a diagnostic mode which displays the signal strength.
> Look and see what is actually getting to the box. If you can't get into
the
> diagnostic mode, post your box type here and someone should be able to
tell
> you how. Once you know for sure that you have a signal strength problem,
> then you can get into the type of amp to install.
>
> --Brian K. White
>
> "Jack Dotson" <jdotson@stx.rr.com> wrote in message
> > I subscribe to TW cable and have digital and HD access. All of my
digital
> > channels keep cutting out. Either the picture goes completely black
> > momentarily or there is severe pixelization (is that a correct word?).
> > Anyhow, I also have experienced allot of problems with RR and it is
often
> > very slow as well. I've had the tech's out several times. Once they
> > replaced the cable to the house and all was good for a few months, then
> the
> > signal started to deteriorate again. The last time they said I had to
> many
> > outlets in my home, that the signal coming in was of adequate strength
and
> > that I would have to buy an amplifier. I have a drop in each of five
> rooms
> > and they are single drops directly to the T.V.'s, no splitter, run
through
> > VCR's, etc. Anyhow, I continue to have issues and what I don't
understand
> > is how it worked fine for all the T.V.'s before, but now it's my
problem.

> > Any recommendations?? I really love HDTV, but it's hard to watch when
you
> > can't get the picture to stay on for more than a minute or two.
> >
> > Thanks

Anonymous
November 9, 2004 9:17:41 PM

Jack Dotson wrote:

> Brian, thanks for the help and also thanks to everyone, your assistance is
> really appreciated. As for the box, I have a Scientific Explorer 3100HD. I
> did some experimenting earlier today. The way they have my house wired is
> there is a main wire feed coming into my attic and it goes into a two way
> splitter. One leg was going directly to my RR modem (which I've had allot
> of problems with) and the other to a 4way "Tap" which is labeled at 7.5 dB
> at each output. These four feeds go to the living room, den, and two
> bedroom (my HD set is in my living room. I disconnected all the
> splitters/taps and hooked the main line to my HDTV and I took only minor
> hits on the digital channels and everything was much better and I could live
> with this. Next I tried a two way splitter and although it was not as bad
> as before, the T.V. still dropped out intermittently, but usable. I hooked
> the other output up to the other T.V's and to my RR and the RR started
> dropping out intermittently again. When I switch it and the T.V the result
> is the same. I figure the signal is only split once to the one out put and
> the other 4X's which is why I get the performance issues. Looks like I
> definitely have a weak signal issue, but I would think it should be good for
> at least two drops. Anyhow they will be out tomorrow and I'm going to call
> them today and ask they bring one of their amplifiers with them.

Jack:

Thanks for the additional info...

I believe a SA3250HD box is better/newer than a SA3100HD....

A good TWC 2 way splitter loss is 3.5 db per line..

The 4 way balanced splitter is 7.5 db loss per line..

My TWC 3 way unbalanced splitter losses are 3.5 db, 7.5 db, & 7.5
db...
That 3.5 db loss is the HDTVs input to the SA3250HD box.
The two 7.5 db loss lines go to HD Pic&Pic and analog TV.

Using a 3 way unbalanced splitter & cutting out 1 room
will give you a 'Better Shot' of +3.5 db for the HD set feed...

THe HD Signal at the pole or house wall should be above +10 db....
IF less the neighborhood signal must be 'amped' up....
1st...

You do not mention IF you have RG-6 or RG-59 cable...
RG-6 has less loss at the higher HD frequencies used..

> Thanks again.
> "Brian K. White" <nospam@foxfire74.com> wrote in message
> > If at all possible, you really want for TW to install one of their
> > amplifiers. Some people have reported good success with RS amplifiers but
> > it has not cured the problem for others. Ann price wise, they are not a
> > bargain compared to the ones installed by the cable company. IIRC they
> are
> > about the same price as what TW would charge.
> >
> > So far as determining whether or not you have a signal strength problem,
> > most HD boxes have a diagnostic mode which displays the signal strength.
> > Look and see what is actually getting to the box. If you can't get into
> the
> > diagnostic mode, post your box type here and someone should be able to
> tell
> > you how. Once you know for sure that you have a signal strength problem,
> > then you can get into the type of amp to install.
> >
> > --Brian K. White
> >
> > "Jack Dotson" <jdotson@stx.rr.com> wrote in message
> > > I subscribe to TW cable and have digital and HD access. All of my
> digital
> > > channels keep cutting out. Either the picture goes completely black
> > > momentarily or there is severe pixelization (is that a correct word?).
> > > Anyhow, I also have experienced allot of problems with RR and it is
> often
> > > very slow as well. I've had the tech's out several times. Once they
> > > replaced the cable to the house and all was good for a few months, then
> > the
> > > signal started to deteriorate again. The last time they said I had to
> > many
> > > outlets in my home, that the signal coming in was of adequate strength
> and
> > > that I would have to buy an amplifier. I have a drop in each of five
> > rooms
> > > and they are single drops directly to the T.V.'s, no splitter, run
> through
> > > VCR's, etc. Anyhow, I continue to have issues and what I don't
> understand
> > > is how it worked fine for all the T.V.'s before, but now it's my
> problem.
> > >
> > > Any recommendations?? I really love HDTV, but it's hard to watch when
> you
> > > can't get the picture to stay on for more than a minute or two.
> > >
> > > Thanks

November 10, 2004 12:49:34 AM

On Tue, 09 Nov 2004 18:17:40 GMT, "Jack Dotson" <jdotson@stx.rr.com>
wrote:

>Brian, thanks for the help and also thanks to everyone, your assistance is
>really appreciated. As for the box, I have a Scientific Explorer 3100HD. I
>did some experimenting earlier today. The way they have my house wired is
>there is a main wire feed coming into my attic and it goes into a two way
>splitter. One leg was going directly to my RR modem (which I've had allot
>of problems with) and the other to a 4way "Tap" which is labeled at 7.5 dB
>at each output. These four feeds go to the living room, den, and two
>bedroom (my HD set is in my living room. I disconnected all the
>splitters/taps and hooked the main line to my HDTV and I took only minor
>hits on the digital channels and everything was much better and I could live
>with this. Next I tried a two way splitter and although it was not as bad
>as before, the T.V. still dropped out intermittently, but usable. I hooked
>the other output up to the other T.V's and to my RR and the RR started
>dropping out intermittently again. When I switch it and the T.V the result
>is the same. I figure the signal is only split once to the one out put and
>the other 4X's which is why I get the performance issues. Looks like I
>definitely have a weak signal issue, but I would think it should be good for
>at least two drops. Anyhow they will be out tomorrow and I'm going to call
>them today and ask they bring one of their amplifiers with them.

You shouldn't need an amp. If the incoming signal is as it should be
there is no reason to have RR taking up half your signal. I have 5
TVs and My cable modem is simply split at one of the TVs.
Thumper

To reply drop XYZ in address
!