Forcing specific account to log-on on Win XP boot

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

follow-up to: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics

Win XP HE, SP1

Hi, I just created a new user account to experiment with some new settings,
etc.; but I would like to know how I can set up my computer NOT to ask me to
choose a User account upon booting-up but just to boot up the account that I
would designate.
Tx a lot.
More about forcing specific account boot

    In news:uzuq6T7QFHA.3496@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    saturnin02 <saturnin02_at_hotmail.com> had this to say:

    > follow-up to: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics
    >
    > Win XP HE, SP1
    >
    > Hi, I just created a new user account to experiment with some new
    > settings, etc.; but I would like to know how I can set up my computer
    > NOT to ask me to choose a User account upon booting-up but just to
    > boot up the account that I would designate.
    > Tx a lot.

    Start
    Press Run
    Type "control userpasswords2" without the quotes
    Hit Enter
    UNTICK the box that says Users must enter a username and password to use the
    computer
    Click APPLY
    Enter in the username you want to use as default
    Enter in the password twice
    Click OK

    Galen

    Sure.

    1. Go to Start/Run and type in: control userpasswords2 and press ok.

    2. On the Users tab, left click your user name then clear the Users Must
    Enter A User Name And Password To Use This Computer check box and then click
    OK.

    3. In the Automatically Log On dialog box that appears, type the "user name
    and password" for the account you want to be logged on each time you start
    your computer.

    Added note: (Alex MVP)

    If you want to logon to one of the other users, hold down shift as the
    system boots up.

    --
    In memory of our dear friend, MVP Alex Nichol: http://www.dts-l.org/

    All the Best,
    Kelly (MS-MVP)

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    "saturnin02" <saturnin02_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > follow-up to: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics
    >
    > Win XP HE, SP1
    >
    > Hi, I just created a new user account to experiment with some new
    > settings,
    > etc.; but I would like to know how I can set up my computer NOT to ask me
    > choose a User account upon booting-up but just to boot up the account that
    > would designate.
    > Tx a lot.

  3. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    try that<a
    href="http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/c/a/fca6767b-9ed9-45a6-b352-839afb2a2679/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe"> TweakUI.exe</a>
    There is all the settings what you need

    "saturnin02" wrote:

    > follow-up to: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics
    >
    > Win XP HE, SP1
    >
    > Hi, I just created a new user account to experiment with some new settings,
    > etc.; but I would like to know how I can set up my computer NOT to ask me to
    > choose a User account upon booting-up but just to boot up the account that I
    > would designate.
    > Tx a lot.

  4. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics,microsoft.public.windowsxp.general,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support,microsoft.public.windowsxp.newusers (More info?)

    Same answer.

    --

    "Dmitri" <Dmitri@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > try that<a
    > href="http://download.microsoft.com/download/f/c/a/fca6767b-9ed9-45a6-b352-839afb2a2679/TweakUiPowertoySetup.exe">
    > TweakUI.exe</a>
    > There is all the settings what you need
    >

    > "saturnin02" wrote:
    >
    >> follow-up to: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics
    >>
    >> Win XP HE, SP1
    >>
    >> Hi, I just created a new user account to experiment with some new
    >> settings,
    >> etc.; but I would like to know how I can set up my computer NOT to ask me
    >> choose a User account upon booting-up but just to boot up the account
    >> that I
    >> would designate.
    >> Tx a lot.

    Thanks Galen for the instructions. Works!
    Tx to all of you that replied.

    In news:exPqwsARFHA.508@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl,
    saturnin02 <saturnin02_at_hotmail.com> had this to say:

    > Thanks Galen for the instructions. Works!
    > Tx to all of you that replied.

    You're quite welcome and thank you for the feedback. You don't think I just
    sit here making this stuff up do you? Oh, wait... Actually? On occasion I
    do. Sometimes I don't know the answer but I know what could be causing the
    problem and that's often the fix. In this case it's a pretty common question
    though. Now you know the answer and can help someone else in the future with
    it.

    Galen

    use tweakui from the powertoys and configure an account to automatically log
    on.

    RT
    "saturnin02" <saturnin02_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > follow-up to: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics
    >
    > Win XP HE, SP1
    >
    > Hi, I just created a new user account to experiment with some new
    > settings,
    > etc.; but I would like to know how I can set up my computer NOT to ask me
    > choose a User account upon booting-up but just to boot up the account that
    > would designate.
    > Tx a lot.

    If you have more than one account it's obviously going to ask which one you
    want; you'd have to delete all except the one you want.

    "saturnin02" <saturnin02_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > follow-up to: microsoft.public.windowsxp.basics
    >
    > Win XP HE, SP1
    >
    > Hi, I just created a new user account to experiment with some new
    > settings,
    > etc.; but I would like to know how I can set up my computer NOT to ask me
    > choose a User account upon booting-up but just to boot up the account that
    > would designate.
    > Tx a lot.

Boot Microsoft Windows XP