Random Freezes

Status
Not open for further replies.

desertfox31

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
I know I just signed up, but when I was picking parts for my computer I came to tomshardware to check benchmarks :D Go me!

I have posted everywhere, some say powersupply, some say virus. I used norton and it found this virus

Discovered: February 13, 2003
Updated: June 21, 2005 03:04:05 PM PDT
Also Known As: IRC/Flood.bi [McAfee], Backdoor.IRC.Zcrew [Kaspersky Lab]
Type: Trojan Horse
Infection Length: 25,890 Bytes
Systems Affected: Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows NT, Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Me

Backdoor.IRC.Zcrew is a backdoor Trojan Horse that is similar to other backdoor IRC Trojans, such as Backdoor.IRC.Aladinz and Backdoor.IRC.Flood.

Backdoor.IRC.Zcrew is written as an IRC script and uses the mIRC client to connect to the Internet, where it notifies the attacker of its presence. The hacker can send various commands to an infected computer and take full control over it.

An infected computer can also be used to launch a ping flood attack against another computer at a specified IP address.

ProtectionVirus Definitions (LiveUpdate™ Weekly) February 19, 2003
Virus Definitions (Intelligent Updater) February 14, 2003
Threat AssesmentWildWild Level: Low
Number of Infections: 0 - 49
Number of Sites: 0 - 2
Geographical Distribution: Low
Threat Containment: Easy
Removal: Moderate
DamageDamage Level: Medium
Compromises Security Settings: Allows unauthorized access to an infected computer.
DistributionDistribution Level: Low

Writeup By: Jason Pan

My computer specs are

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San diego 2.2GHZ 1MB L2 Cache
ASUS A8N-E Motherboard ATX S939 NFORCE4 ULTRA DDR PCI-E16 RAID Sound GBLAN
OCZ EL Platinum PC3200 2x1GB DDR400 CL2-3-2-5 184PIN Pin Dual channel memory w/ ramsink
Seagate Barracuda 250GB 7200.9 8MB 11MS Sata2 NCQ RoHS Hard Drive
SONY Black 1.44MB 3.2IN FLOPPY DRIVE
Samsung SH-W162 16X DVD+-RW 5X Dual layer DVD Writer Black
Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition OEM
EVGA E-GEFORCE 7800GT CO SE 460MHZ 256MB 256BIT 1.1GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E DUAL DVI-I VIVO SLI Video Card
TURBO CASE X-DREAMER II Black 4X5.25 2X3.5 4X3.5INT 350W P4 W/ Temp Display
Fortron Sparkle FSP/SPI ATX-400PN 400W ATX12V 20/24PIN Power Supply W/ 120MM Fan P4 AMD Ready OEM

I have never overclocked and i am NOT running SLI

VideoCard INFO
Video BIOS Version 5.70.02.13.7B
IRQ 18
BUS PCI Express X16
Forceware Version 82.12

I have noticed it gets ALOT worse in BF2/2142 , especially when I get into AA/Vehicles. I have checked my CPU and its nothing over 30%, at a time when it was freezing while playing 2142 I checked the temps and they were as follows (used the nvidia menu for GPU and AsusProbe for cpu/mobo)

GPU - 69C
CPU - 42C
MOBO - 39C

Just yesterday I ran

Ad-Aware SE Personal
A-squared Security Center
AVG Anti-Spyware
Spybot - Search & Destroy
Windows Defender
System mechanic 6 Professional
Norton Anti-virus 2005

Norton did catch that virus that I posted above about 2 weeks ago. When I did a scan today it wasnt there.

PLEASE HELP!

desertfox31

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
I don't understand what your problem is...?

You found a virus, you think you got rid of virus, now you want help about something for gaming??

It said the virus was there, I didnt do anything to delete it scanned a week later and its not there but the freezes are still here. Im trying to figure out how to stop them.

CHEEZball

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
well if norton caught it (amazing in itself) it possibly got rid of it for you... since that's kind of what antivirus's do..

So.. you're having freezings? Seriously, you need to write the symptoms a little clearer. All I see is comp specs, some write up about a virus, and a blurb about please help.

Your freezing.. randomly? At specific parts? After specific times?

Does this happen on any other games?

Is it a full "freeze" or is your computer shutting down, going to black screen, rebooting?

Are you noticing any problems on your desktop?

Have you searched the BF forums? I noticed on our own gaming forums there's alot of stuff about BF 2142 not working properly, might want to search there as well and see if someone is having similar problems?

I highly doubt that a IRC virus is causing your problems. Those are typically used as worms that just spread throughout links in mIRC itself causing no real harm, just a annoyance.

Try running MicroTrend Housecall and see if it comes up with anything.

desertfox31

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
well if norton caught it (amazing in itself) it possibly got rid of it for you... since that's kind of what antivirus's do..

So.. you're having freezings? Seriously, you need to write the symptoms a little clearer. All I see is comp specs, some write up about a virus, and a blurb about please help.

Your freezing.. randomly? At specific parts? After specific times?

Does this happen on any other games?

Is it a full "freeze" or is your computer shutting down, going to black screen, rebooting?

Are you noticing any problems on your desktop?

Have you searched the BF forums? I noticed on our own gaming forums there's alot of stuff about BF 2142 not working properly, might want to search there as well and see if someone is having similar problems?

I highly doubt that a IRC virus is causing your problems. Those are typically used as worms that just spread throughout links in mIRC itself causing no real harm, just a annoyance.

Try running MicroTrend Housecall and see if it comes up with anything.

I have searched the battlefield forums.

Theres not really much I can right on it except.

- Freezes randomly, not a full reboot or anything just freezes for a couple of seconds and then its back to normal.
- Seems to get worse at night, or when im in vehicles.
- CPU is not under full load, temperatures are pretty good.
- Not at specific parts but like I said earlier in the post it seems to get
worse at night.
- I only play BF2 and BF2142

CHEEZball

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2006
if it's just freezing for a sec then going back to normal it sounds like a ping issue. What's your FPS? Youre prolly just lagging out, either not enough ram, or it's a server/basic internet issue.

I'd guess the reason it happens more frequently at night and in vehichles is lack of bandwith

desertfox31

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
if it's just freezing for a sec then going back to normal it sounds like a ping issue. What's your FPS? Youre prolly just lagging out, either not enough ram, or it's a server/basic internet issue.

I'd guess the reason it happens more frequently at night and in vehichles is lack of bandwith

Its not the ping since im usually around 80. FPS is always around 45+ I highly doubt its ram I have 2GB.

desertfox31

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
Its getting worse. I booted up my computer today only to be greated by a full freeze could not move the mouse, I restarted it was fine but I still got the little freezes. Now 5 minutes ago I got another full freeze :-/

desertfox31

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
Update all your drivers... especially the chipset ones.

I updated my video card actually a couple of days ago its at 91.47. By chipset do you mean motherboard? I dont know alot about that :? I looked quickly on the tweakguide site and they didnt have a little readme about installing motherboard drivers (There videocard one is nice :D) I also searched on google and didnt find any.

desertfox31

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
Ok, one more question about them :p

Can I just update over the old ones? Or where do I go to get rid of the old ones for a clean install? I know how to do the video card ones :D

desertfox31

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
I decided what the heck maybe its the mouse! So I took it out of the plug in the back and moved it into the front USB ports. It was all screwed up, so I decided on the topic of the mouse ill get the drivers for it! So I got the drivers from logitech and it was screwed up even worse, I did like 2 re-boots. On the 2nd one I havnt had a freeze since!!!!!!

I havnt tested it ingame soon but ill report back on that tomorrow.

Neowarex

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2006
In nvidia's website choose the NFORCE4 Series AMD for windows xp. It's unlikely but in extremely rare cases, the mouse might cause problems because it will mess up the USB ports on the motherboard. Let us know how it goes. Good luck.

desertfox31

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2006
Turns out it was my mouse :-/ I tryed a different mouse and it worked. I then took the mouse that was on drugs and put it onto another computer, so far no problems :-/

Status
Not open for further replies.