FSP AX450-PN Getting louder(High pitch)

ahtze

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
something is wrong with my PSU, recently I have noticed a high pitch sound coming from the PSU. I don't care it is loud but the high pitch really hurting my ear.

Is that normal for a PSU? Is there anything I can do?

I just bought it for almost 1+ month

ahtze

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
but if i send it back, my PC will be sitting there for month >.>

I think the sound come form the Fan. Maybe it is already that from the 1st time I use it just I didn't notice that :/ ?

ahtze

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
Hmm, I am not really sure if the high pitch sound is coming from the PSU or the AMD X2 5600(just got it this week) >.>

The more I hear it, the more I think it is coming from the processor.

randomizer

Champion
Well that will change things then. Put your finger on the fan axle gently so that it cant spin, then see if the noise stops. Dont worry, it wont overheat in a few seconds. Just dont sit there contemplating time dilation with your finger on the fan.

ahtze

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
Doesn't that will bend the fan a little and make the fan off balance and will eventually make more noise in the future o_O; ?

I think I will just plug off the fan's power of the CPU and see.

randomizer

Champion
You risk creating sparks like that tho. I have dont it alot myself tho with the pc on. Plugging in and unplugging fans to test different amounts of noise and the worst sources. I know, I know its dangerous, buy hey, what use is a pc if you arent willing to play around with it?

ahtze

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
I am thinking to unplug the power for the fan while the Computer is off then turn it on to test and turn it off as soon as possible :)

randomizer

Champion
A much safer idea than mine :lol: You could leave it on for up to a minute and still be fairly safe, the heatsink is still transferring heat away even with the fan off. But you should really only need a max of 20 secs to determine where the high pitched noise is coming from.

randomizer

Champion
I killed my last 6 year old system but plugging fans in and out with the system running. Those sparks are sending power surges throught your system. I knocked out the motherboard with one of those sparks.
Ah but see I plugged in and out when the current sine wave was at 0... 8) My timing is always perfect. :)

ahtze

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
I will do that early in the morning when the temperature is low :)

Do you know anything about hard drive?

my HITACHI Deskstar 7K250 HDS722516VLSA80 (13G0254) 160GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA150 Hard Drive - OEM's responsive time isn't good because when I play games, I always have hiccup(FPS can drop to 0) and it is really annoying. Not sure what's going on with it.

I am thinking to get a new hard drive.

I have 2 on my mind right now,

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

and

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3320620AS (Perpendicular Recording Technology) 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

Which one do you prefer? Or you have better recommendation?

Well, don't recommend raptor please, it is way too expensive.

randomizer

Champion
I only have a samsung spinpoint 160gb HDD, havent had any issues with it and it runs cool. My front 80mm intake fan keeps it <20C on a hot day even. And these are aussie hot days, not american 24C "hot" days. I find it funny when they say on the news that the US had a heatwave and it was a scorching 30C! Thats a cool day in summer here. We get up in the low-mid 40s depending on where you live. And this isnt really even a hot country compared to some.

ahtze

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2007
Thats a cool day in summer here. We get up in the low-mid 40s depending on where you live. And this isnt really even a hot country compared to some.

I agreed with that. I used to live in Malaysia and it is way hotter(all year long) than Houston, Texas :D