Help with default photo program

BruceMyers48

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
I have a adobe photo program and all my photo open with it. How can I change it to where they all open with microsoft picture and fax viewer as my default. I also would like to get the photos out of adobe and get rid of adobe. Bruce

woshitudou

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2006
If you uninstall the Adobe photo program then it won't open with it anymore, it'll revert back to other apps.

To change the open with for file type right click on an image file, choose 'Open With' on the context menu then select Choose Program. Find the program you want in the list then check the always use the selected program... checkbox. If its not in the list browse for it.

If you don't see an Open With on the right click menu then hold down shift when you right click.

Chenmaster

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2006
I think what woshitudou said is probably what you want to do which is changing the default program. Right click any picture and click 'open with' and select 'choose program'. Select the Windows Picture and Fax Viewer and make sure 'always use this program to open this kind of file' is checked. Hit ok.

BruceMyers48

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2001
What I ended up doing is installing Picasa2 by google and letting it load all the pictures on the hard drive. I checked to make sure it included Adobe's pictures and uninstalled adobe' After making a restore point" and every thing is normal. I can open any picture on the HD with Picture and fax viewer and picasa2 does not take over. I like Picasa2 because it doesn't take over your PC and it is easy to use. It Is a wonderful picture program. Thanks Bruce