piesquared

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
Well I guess this is sort of cpu related, so I hope it stays here where there is tons of traffic. This is awesome to see.

http://news.com.com/2300-1041_3-6175025-1.html?tag=ne.gall.pg

olpc_01_550x413.jpg

olpc_05_550x413.jpg

apt403

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2006
Heh, that's awesome.

I heard something a couple months ago about the possibility of selling the laptops to the public for a higher amount, then taking all the profits to make more of the things. I would totally buy one! I mean, by modern standards it's a pretty slow machine, but think about it, a $100 laptop! Plus, they are going to get the sh!t hacked out of them if they're released to the public.

piesquared

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
lol, yep them little buggers are going to have some fun! :) Apparantely those laptops are very innovative and that display is supposed to be the best on the market.
But this gives these kids a chance they'd never otherwise have. Imagine the opportunities it gives them. Who knows, maybe we'll actually see some of them posting on these very forums.

chuckshissle

Splendid
Feb 2, 2006
Hey, who told you to take pictures of me and my friends.

Well it's nice to have this kind of stuff happening and giving opportunities to others. Well, how long till one of these kids starts overclocking and hacking .

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
lol, yep them little buggers are going to have some fun! :) Apparantely those laptops are very innovative and that display is supposed to be the best on the market.
But this gives these kids a chance they'd never otherwise have. Imagine the opportunities it gives them. Who knows, maybe we'll actually see some of them posting on these very forums.

Are you stewped? These kids are going to break them within 1 Years time and are going to have to get ,Dell technical Support if they ever manage to keep them for more than 1 week from the local thiefs and the town rapist. They'll mostly be sold off for parts and money for drugs and weapons.
*God, you seriously don't know how the Third-World works.. If you give them something that they've never seen or don't even know how it works they'll screw it up better than Tommy Lee screwed Pamela Anderson, if they manage not to keep it with them for more than 1 week then, they'll go from the camera shoot actors(Kids) to the Black Market for parts and things in a matter of weeks if not days :D

P.S. Just my Prediction

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Are you stewped? These kids are going to break them within 1 Years time and are going to have to get ,Dell technical Support if they ever manage to keep them for more than 1 week from the local thiefs and the town rapist. They'll mostly be sold off for parts and money for drugs and weapons.
*God, you seriously don't know how the Third-World works.. If you give them something that they've never seen or don't even know how it works they'll screw it up better than Tommy Lee screwed Pamela Anderson, if they manage not to keep it with them for more than 1 week then, they'll go from the camera shoot actors(Kids) to the Black Market for parts and things in a matter of weeks if not days :D

P.S. Just my Prediction

I tend to agree with your prediction. I remember walking through the markets in Croatia just at the end of the Balkan War. At least 80% of the products for sale were humanitarian relief supplies. We seem to forget that $100 can be six months salary in Africa. Anyone who thinks that Daddy is going to go plucking dinner out of the trashheap while Sonny is posting on MySpace needs more psychiatric care than the people who hand out these things.

BBC: Corruption Costs Africa $148 Billion/Year.

reconviperone1

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2006
Well i like tho look at the glass as half full, kids in africa,asia, and the middle east seem to be more serious about eduacation than the fat,lazy,spoiled,stupid,obnoxious little shits here in the states. Even Oprah Winfrey used her vast financial resources to build a school in south africa, because she said it would be appreciated there.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Well i like tho look at the glass as half full, kids in africa,asia, and the middle east seem to be more serious about eduacation than the fat,lazy,spoiled,stupid,obnoxious little shits here in the states. Even Oprah Winfrey used her vast financial resources to build a school in south africa, because she said it would be appreciated there.

Winfrey used her vast financial resources to build a school in south africa
You sure she didn't just exploit the Blood Diamond Children in the brothering country
Do you even realise what you've just typed ??
south africa
We're speaking of Nigeria, and basically Africa. There are about 2-3 Countries within Africa which don't fully fit 'Africa' which we're speaking of, including South Africa, Opening a School over in Cape Town is about as safe as a opening a Jewellery store in Beverly Hills.

shinigamiX

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
Hah! Appreciated? Parents were complaining from day one and only shut up after she told them to either stop complaining or withdraw their kids from her top-quality, zero-cost school.

I repeat: the project will bomb. It's unbelievable how arrogant the OLPC guys are, getting governments to sink millions into crappy little green laptops when the people don't even have enough to eat. Help with education? Don't make me laugh. It will cost a large amount of money and effort to just teach the kids how to use the stupid things. Then there's the chance that they will be stolen, broken, sold, a million things could happen. Even if they do survive, half of those schools don't even have enough teachers! Are laptops substitutes for good teachers? The entire project is nothing more than a very expensive and wasteful PR stunt. Those arrogant berks at OLPC need to get out of their ivory towers.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
Then there's the chance that they will be stolen, broken, sold, a million things could happen.... The entire project is nothing more than a very expensive and wasteful PR stunt. Those arrogant berks at OLPC need to get out of their ivory towers.

Your Sugar coating the whole deal, 'Chance' :D My friend, I along with all the forum members can give a Guarantee that you'll be able to buy 1/2 the laptops in that picture on Ebay next month. Why don't we all fan out and on our free time search for these things for sale. First one to find any, either single or Bakers Dozen quantity post a link or Take a picture if you find them around your travels, On this Exact Thread since 'piesquared' seems to want this thread to get lots and lots of hits.

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
Hah! Appreciated? Parents were complaining from day one and only shut up after she told them to either stop complaining or withdraw their kids from her top-quality, zero-cost school.

I repeat: the project will bomb. It's unbelievable how arrogant the OLPC guys are, getting governments to sink millions into crappy little green laptops when the people don't even have enough to eat. Help with education? Don't make me laugh. It will cost a large amount of money and effort to just teach the kids how to use the stupid things. Then there's the chance that they will be stolen, broken, sold, a million things could happen. Even if they do survive, half of those schools don't even have enough teachers! Are laptops substitutes for good teachers? The entire project is nothing more than a very expensive and wasteful PR stunt. Those arrogant berks at OLPC need to get out of their ivory towers.

All I can say is: :trophy:

And yes, that school must have cost Oprah what? A couple of days interest payments on her bank account? Cheap price to pay for all the Oprah Helps Africa promo crap. :evil:

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006
I plan on buying one for fun when they become available in the US. Will also be supporting the cause.
They'll be on Sale on Ebay next Month, Hope you enjoy "Open[inter-course]source" (Garbage O/S)

I downloaded the livecd ISO of the OS but I haven't burned it / played with it yet. I also figure within weeks there will be a way to put a more full-fledged Linux OS on it. I wouldn't mind Ubuntu on a 4 or 8GB 150/166x SD card.

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
that school must have cost Oprah what? A couple of days interest payments on her bank account? Cheap price to pay for all the Oprah Helps Africa promo crap. :evil:

Oprah will stop funding that school by the end of next year (soon as everyone forgets that it even exists)

CaptRobertApril

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2006
I downloaded the livecd ISO of the OS but I haven't burned it / played with it yet. I also figure within weeks there will be a way to put a more full-fledged Linux OS on it. I wouldn't mind Ubuntu on a 4 or 8GB 150/166x SD card.

I'm sure that is exactly what Negroponte and friends intended for their little green aberrations. To end up in the hands of Western hackers as fun toys! 8O

Oprah will stop funding that school by the end of next year (soon as everyone forgets that it even exists)

Yeah, we wouldn't want to cost Oprah a full week's worth of interest would we? :lol:

ajfink

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sure that is exactly what Negroponte and friends intended for their little green aberrations. To end up in the hands of Western hackers as fun toys! 8O

Oh well, :D

Collector619

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2007
great ! i saw at news that in romania , every student .. 7-~19 years will be given a laptop , similar to those ... even if romania is in EU , its like in africa here .

and - i will have one too :lol:

YO_KID37

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2006
great ! i saw at news that in romania , every student .. 7-~19 years will be given a laptop , similar to those ... even if romania is in EU , its like in africa here .

and - i will have one too :lol:
Laptops to Romanian students humbly provided by

(CAN-TR) Cooperation in Africa for National Theft and Robbery :lol:

piesquared

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006

P.S. Just my Prediction

I tend to agree with your prediction. I remember walking through the markets in Croatia just at the end of the Balkan War. At least 80% of the products for sale were humanitarian relief supplies. We seem to forget that $100 can be six months salary in Africa. Anyone who thinks that Daddy is going to go plucking dinner out of the trashheap while Sonny is posting on MySpace needs more psychiatric care than the people who hand out these things.

BBC: Corruption Costs Africa $148 Billion/Year.

They don't even have dumpsters, let alone anything in them to pluck out, you self centered and arrogant pricks. Obviously, the concept of appreciation is foreign to a couple people here.
BTW, there are over 200,000 child soldiers in Africa. If nothing else, things like this give hope at least, which is something that currently is non-existant. Pull your head out of your collective pompous asses. Actually, no, keep it there. It's the most appropriate place for them from what i've witnessed.

ADM-86

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2006
Are you stewped? These kids are going to break them within 1 Years time and are going to have to get ,Dell technical Support if they ever manage to keep them for more than 1 week from the local thief's and the town rapist. They'll mostly be sold off for parts and money for drugs and weapons.
*God, you seriously don't know how the Third-World works.. If you give them something that they've never seen or don't even know how it works they'll screw it up better than Tommy Lee screwed Pamela Anderson, if they manage not to keep it with them for more than 1 week then, they'll go from the camera shoot actors(Kids) to the Black Market for parts and things in a matter of weeks if not days

Are you stewped!? even if 90 of a 100 laptops get damaged,stolen or sold, they are gonna be at least 10 kids with 10 laptops that can make a difference, God, you seriously don't know how the Third-World works... in third world country's is not as easy as...hey give them money, give them food, build a school or just send an army saying that is fighting terrorist and thats it, in country's like ours we have to attack the problem by the root , we have to make a change on little kids so they can have a chance of having something close to a normal life....so they can raise their kids the same way, change doesn't happen in 10 or 20 years...in takes 100 or more years to actually see some change .

Its actually surprising how many people from USA comes to my country and get surprised on how my country really works.

The best advice I can give you is, don't believe everything you read on the news or internet,just go and see it with your own 2 eyes :wink: .

shinigamiX

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2006
That's a much more reasonable viewpoint. However, I'd say that the biggest obstacle to Africa becoming a better place is still corruption. Look at Zimbabwe: the 'bread basket of Africa' reduced to ashes, thanks to a corrupt and power-mad leader. And education runs a close second to corruption. And laptops aren't the way to solve that problem if you ask me. I do, however, agree with your statement that it all depends on the children.