USB mouse replacement for touch-pad laptop?

I have a Compaq Presario 3460 and don't like the touchpad.
It has 3 USB ports, an Intel processor, XP O/S + SP2.
Can I use an old PS2+USB adapter Tandy/RadioShack
trackball instead?
What s/w do I need to either add to or replace the ALPs pointer?

I have downloaded mouse s/w ( www.Stefan2000.com )
for OHCI and UHCI, which are stated to be USB mouse drivers,
but will await advice before running.

Thanks for help,
RoJ
7 answers Last reply
More about mouse replacement touch laptop

    Hi,

    I would just plug it in, you may find that the native drivers are sufficient
    for your needs. No reason why it wouldn't work, even if you do need to load
    the drivers from a third party source.

    --
    Best of Luck,

    http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
    www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
    Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

    "RoJ" <roger.gelder@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    >I have a Compaq Presario 3460 and don't like the touchpad.
    > It has 3 USB ports, an Intel processor, XP O/S + SP2.
    > Can I use an old PS2+USB adapter Tandy/RadioShack
    > trackball instead?
    > What s/w do I need to either add to or replace the ALPs pointer?
    >
    > I have downloaded mouse s/w ( www.Stefan2000.com )
    > for OHCI and UHCI, which are stated to be USB mouse drivers,
    > but will await advice before running.
    >
    > Thanks for help,
    > RoJ

    I have a Compaq Presario 2232US and purchased Microsoft's Standard Wireless
    Optical mouse. Plugged it into the USB port, installed the batteries in the
    mouse and when I booted the laptop both the wireless mouse and the touchpad
    work and I didn't install any software, drivers or apps.

    "RoJ" <roger.gelder@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
    I have a Compaq Presario 3460 and don't like the touchpad.
    It has 3 USB ports, an Intel processor, XP O/S + SP2.
    Can I use an old PS2+USB adapter Tandy/RadioShack
    trackball instead?
    What s/w do I need to either add to or replace the ALPs pointer?

    I have downloaded mouse s/w ( www.Stefan2000.com )
    for OHCI and UHCI, which are stated to be USB mouse drivers,
    but will await advice before running.

    Thanks for help,
    RoJ

    Well, so far no joy. Have plugged in two different mice, an MS and a
    RadioShack,
    both without extra software, all three different USB 2.0 ports, PS2->USB
    adapter.
    Control reports an unknown extra (good) but does not pull in a mouse
    connection - pity.
    BeeBee - your comment on the radio mouse is heartening, but I think that the
    Presario
    is already 'prepped' for that, so maybe I DO have to sweeten the pot with
    drivers.
    Trouble is, I am not sure whether I feed it USB mouse drivers or standard -
    sure
    would hate to blow it now.
    Thanks guys, will persevere, obviously success is just around the next
    "Restore"
    point immediately after feeding in new mouse driver -
    I hope. :) OR 'Oh God, what am I doing ?'
    RoJ

    :

    On Tue, 19 Apr 2005 00:46:34 +0100, RoJ wrote:

    > Well, so far no joy. Have plugged in two different mice, an MS and a
    > RadioShack,
    > both without extra software, all three different USB 2.0 ports, PS2->USB
    > adapter.

    Thoughts:

    Some mice do not work well with the PS/2>USB adapters.

    Some systems require the touchpad to be turned off before the mouse will
    work. Check control panel for an icon and settings for the touchpad. If
    none present, check under mouse (also in control panel).

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    Got this rather straight reply from HP and it is worth sharing for other
    laptop users :-

    I see that Mouse could not be installed in the Notebook and could not be
    used with USB port.
    However, the issue is clearly due to non availability of the drivers for the
    mouse in Notebook. I recommend that you contact Radioshack to obtain the
    drivers for the mouse and resolve the issue.
    After installing the mouse drivers, if the issue persists, then I recommend
    that you disable touchpad in the Notebook. You can disable touchpad by
    performing the steps given below:
    1. Click Start.
    2. Click Control Panel.
    3. Double-click Mouse.
    4. Click Touch tab and check the option "Disable this Device" to disable the
    TouchPad completely.
    Note: The above option will disable TouchPad completely and it will not work
    if you remove the mouse.
    You can also choose option to override TouchPad automatically if external
    mouse is added by following the steps given below:
    1. Click Start.
    2. Click Control Panel.
    3. Double-click Mouse.
    4. Click More Features tab.
    5. Check "External mouse overrides built-in Touchpad" option. Choosing the
    above option will disable TouchPad when external mouse is connected and will
    return control to TouchPad when external mouse is removed.
    I recommend you to disable the Touchpad in BIOS while working with mouse in
    the Notebook. You can follow the steps given below to resolve the issue in
    the Notebook.
    1) Restart the Notebook and press F2 when HP/Compaq Logo appears
    2) In the BIOS utility, navigate to System Devices tab
    3) From the Menu available, Press ENTER key at External Pointing Devices
    4) The following Menu is available
    a) Auto: Uses Touchpad unless external pointing device is used. If the
    external pointing device is detected, Touchpad and Scroll pad are disabled
    b) Both: Both Touchpad and external pointing device are functional
    5) Select Auto to disable touchpad while using mouse and Press Enter
    6) Navigate to Exit Menu
    7) Select "Save Changes and Exit" and Press ENTER key.
    8) Restart the Notebook.
    After performing the steps provided above, you should be able to use Mouse
    in the Notebook and resolve the issue.

    Now, all I need to know is whether 'ordinary' drivers - eg serial - will
    'pick-up' if I load them,
    or whether I should load a set of generic USB mouse drivers.
    Worry, worry, worry - never mind, just a Restore step away!

    RoJ.

    > Got this rather straight reply from HP and it is worth sharing for other
    > laptop users :-
    >
    > I see that Mouse could not be installed in the Notebook and could not be
    > used with USB port.
    > However, the issue is clearly due to non availability of the drivers for
    > the
    > mouse in Notebook. I recommend that you contact Radioshack to obtain the
    > drivers for the mouse and resolve the issue.
    > After installing the mouse drivers, if the issue persists, then I
    > recommend
    > that you disable touchpad in the Notebook. You can disable touchpad by
    > performing the steps given below:
    > 1. Click Start.
    > 2. Click Control Panel.
    > 3. Double-click Mouse.
    > 4. Click Touch tab and check the option "Disable this Device" to disable
    > the
    > TouchPad completely.
    > Note: The above option will disable TouchPad completely and it will not
    > work
    > if you remove the mouse.
    > You can also choose option to override TouchPad automatically if external
    > mouse is added by following the steps given below:
    > 1. Click Start.
    > 2. Click Control Panel.
    > 3. Double-click Mouse.
    > 4. Click More Features tab.
    > 5. Check "External mouse overrides built-in Touchpad" option. Choosing the
    > above option will disable TouchPad when external mouse is connected and
    > will
    > return control to TouchPad when external mouse is removed.
    > I recommend you to disable the Touchpad in BIOS while working with mouse
    > in
    > the Notebook. You can follow the steps given below to resolve the issue in
    > the Notebook.
    > 1) Restart the Notebook and press F2 when HP/Compaq Logo appears
    > 2) In the BIOS utility, navigate to System Devices tab
    > 3) From the Menu available, Press ENTER key at External Pointing Devices
    > 4) The following Menu is available
    > a) Auto: Uses Touchpad unless external pointing device is used. If the
    > external pointing device is detected, Touchpad and Scroll pad are disabled
    > b) Both: Both Touchpad and external pointing device are functional
    > 5) Select Auto to disable touchpad while using mouse and Press Enter
    > 6) Navigate to Exit Menu
    > 7) Select "Save Changes and Exit" and Press ENTER key.
    > 8) Restart the Notebook.
    > After performing the steps provided above, you should be able to use Mouse
    > in the Notebook and resolve the issue.

    > Now, all I need to know is whether 'ordinary' drivers - eg serial - will
    > 'pick-up' if I load them,
    > or whether I should load a set of generic USB mouse drivers.
    > Worry, worry, worry - never mind, just a Restore step away!
    >
    > RoJ.

    Try using the Microsoft Intellipoint drivers.

    Rex

    On Wed, 20 Apr 2005 00:09:45 +0100, RoJ wrote:

    > Now, all I need to know is whether 'ordinary' drivers - eg serial - will
    > 'pick-up' if I load them,
    > or whether I should load a set of generic USB mouse drivers.
    > Worry, worry, worry - never mind, just a Restore step away!

    I would try what Rick suggested at this point, just plug it in and try it.
    Windows includes several generic mouse drivers and those may work just fine
    once the touchpad is disabled. If still no luck, then you need to look for
    drivers or try the ones that you have.

    NOTE: May want to set a system restore point before installing the driver.

    If the drivers you found don't work, I just took a peek at Driver's Guide
    and they have several drivers for Tandy mice.
    http://list.driverguide.com/list/company1024/index.html

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User