buying x1950xt i need suitable PSU

df_fer

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006
hi guys ....
i'm buying new x1950xt but i was wondering what's the requirements for a PSU to make it work. 2 12v? 32amber ?
...and little noob question how do i know it's 2 12v if i'm buying it from the internet

P.S. first time to buy from internet ^_^

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
im just wondering here, but would you not be much better off with a 8800gtX (OR s) considering that the next generation of direct X 10 games are just around the corner. It just seem a bit of a waste to buying something that wont be compatible, it also is much faster evern the gts in many events. You could also wait for 2900XT because you card will also not be the 'Top Dog' for Long

When buying a PSU i cheat a little, as long as you buy a named brand (hiper, enermax...) and it has the aproite amount of connection for your use it should be able to deal with the strain. when it comes to the wattage if it is a ulitmate system 1000W when it is high end 800, when it not far off high end then 650+ medium 500+ ect

and if it doesnt work great return it, but ive never had any problem using my system. Please think about the 8800 as 1950 will soon be obsolete with direct x 10 coming - see it as a new geration - you wouldnt buy a pentium now would you.

Ninjaz7

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2006
Just pondering on how many parts people burn up with that attitude,I realize its hard to justify buying a new psu to run a top of the line video card(my shoes exactly).My advice is at all costs,protect your expensive investment...or move to a smaller card(8600gts,7600gt,etc.)thats going to give you the best bang for your bucks. :D gl.

dobby

Distinguished
May 24, 2006
if he followed what i told him it would work

get the connecter a high high wattage good brand, it would be rated to meet the spec

df_fer

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2006
thanx for ur help mpilchfamily.....

but how come EA will be lower power bill ? it's 500 watt and the other one is 430 watt...

another thing it's totaly Noob questions "u don't have to answer them "
1- how dos the 12v looks like and where i'm suppose to connect it ... to the VGA?
2-if i got 2 12v how can i connect two in one VGA to get 32amp ?

thankx in adevance

randomizer

Champion
im just wondering here, but would you not be much better off with a 8800gtX (OR s) considering that the next generation of direct X 10 games are just around the corner. It just seem a bit of a waste to buying something that wont be compatible, it also is much faster evern the gts in many events. You could also wait for 2900XT because you card will also not be the 'Top Dog' for Long

When buying a PSU i cheat a little, as long as you buy a named brand (hiper, enermax...) and it has the aproite amount of connection for your use it should be able to deal with the strain. when it comes to the wattage if it is a ulitmate system 1000W when it is high end 800, when it not far off high end then 650+ medium 500+ ect

and if it doesnt work great return it, but ive never had any problem using my system. Please think about the 8800 as 1950 will soon be obsolete with direct x 10 coming - see it as a new geration - you wouldnt buy a pentium now would you.
:roll:

randomizer

Champion
An example of the psu you were talking about b4 is the thermaltake TR2 550W. Big numbers there, but its +12V rails are 14A and 15A. 550W may sound like alot of power, but a single 8800gtx will overload one of those rails fairly easily. Then comes that puff of blue smoke...

EDIT: Nice looking psu tho, not that it means much.

randomizer

Champion
And why I shouldnt have got one... Oh well, I needed a cheap upgrade from a generic 400W with similar specs, its far better than generic still.

PS: 17 frames left till my first F@H work unit is done!!! Finally!!! :mrgreen: