Roxio Drag to Disc

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yarberger

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
Hi everyone

I used Roxio Drag-to-Disc to transfer all my music files from my hard drive pending a computer upgrade (6 discs, 22GB of files).

During the transfer of the files back onto my new drive, however, Roxio stated that the last disc has 'one or more problems'.

The only way I can access the files on this cd is via Scandisc, which displays the files in .rec format, all with new numerical names. It now seems that I will have to go in, identify and re-name 3GB of files.

The files themselves are all the original size and play fine on Windows Media Player, save a small group which won't play (Error locating codec).

Is there any other way of being able to recover these files as originally saved to cd? If not, can these .rec files be used for cd burning?

Thanks

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Check these out and google .rec. I've used Roxio's Easy programs sinse version 4 or 5 and don't even install drop and drag. Too many better ways to copy files. You'd be better off building/getting an external drive. You can get a decemt enclosure for about $30 and hard drives are pretty inexpensive. All you do is connect the drive and screw the case together. A USB connection is best because all computers have USB ports

http://forums.support.roxio.com/index.php?showtopic=776
http://phorums.com.au/archive/index.php/t-140668.html

Yarberger

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
Thanks a lot for the information.

Elsewhere within the Roxio forums I came across information on two software brands for recovery of data - cdroller and isobuster.

Clearly everyone's experiences with software packages are different, but the trial version of isobuster was able to recognise the contents of the faulty disc and fully recover all data.

All files were recovered as .mp3 rather than .rec, and they were presented to me as they were organised on the disc rather than simply as a mass of files.

Problem solved!

g-paw

Splendid
Jan 31, 2006
Glad it worked out. I'm so paranoid about my music collection I have it backed up on 4 hard drives, which is admittedly overkill. One advantage of backing up music on an external drive is that you can always take it with you, e.g., to a party. If you do get another hd be it internal or external, there is a program called GoodSync that is excellent for doing backups. The paid version is like $20. Once folders are set up to sync, it's only 2 clicks to backup.

Yarberger

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2006
GoodSync, eh? I'll check it out - thanks for the tip.

I have two SATA hard drives in my system (non-Raid) and now have my music on both. I also have an external drive and will likely use that as a further back-up. It is amazing how a situation like this (despite the happy ending) can make you stop and think.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS