Whats the Best Linux OS

sharp256

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
hi
I like to install a Linux OS on my PC but Linux has alot of Operation Systems whats the best one do u think

PC
CPU AMD Athlon 64 3200+
512 Ram PC3200 400Mhz
MB Giga-byte K8N-SLI
250Gb HDD

The only one I tried was Fedora Core... however, a lot of people like different distros for different reasons. Ubuntu is supposed to be extremely easy to use, so if you're new to Linux, you may want to try that one first.

JDB1986

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
suse is a pretty good one for starting out. It has a damned good setup tool called yast that can let you manage your settings and hardware configuration very easily. It also is still pretty powerful, and is extremely easy to configure and setup compared to some other distros, also it looks very nice and they have an awesome bootloader. Fedora is also pretty good, however Ubuntu has a very large user-base, which means a lot more support, and Ubuntu seems to be a little less finickey to me.

bmouring

Distinguished
May 6, 2006
Any of the newer, popular distros that are "user friendly" each have their perks and shortcomings, but all of them are leaps and bounds easier than even just a few years ago.

Try out each of them (don't need to install any of them, Fedora, SuSE, and Ubuntu all have LiveCD versions, just keep in mind since it is running off of a CD/DVD it is going to be much slower than if it were residing on a hard drive) to see which fits you best. This is the most powerful aspect of GNU/Linux and OSS in general: it is much more customizable and can be exactly what you need and nothing more.

Horses for courses. At the moment you are just getting personal opinions but you have not said what you want to use the system for or what sort of hardware you want to run on. Give a few more details and it might narrow down the search.

As your question stands Ubuntu (well supported / documented / useable) would be my suggestion. Run Automatix on it to get the sound and video up and running along with Java and a few other bits and you are mostly good to rock.

Also to add to the suggestions of liveCD's (one of the best ways to look at a new distro) is that you can have a play with an install under something like the free VMWare Server product.

TRENDING THREADS