Question on PocketPC 2003

July 10, 2005 7:42:40 PM

Dear all,

I have a question regarding PocketPC 2003. In most of the ads for PocketPC
2003 peripheral devices, it will list operating system support (i.e.
Windows Mobile 2003 for Pocket PC). But I rarely saw any ad list the
supported processor (i.e. Arm, SH4, MIPS, x86, etc). Depending on the type
of embedded processor on the devices, the device drvier of a same piece of
peripheral device should be different. It almost seems to me that whenever
you mention Windows CE based PocketPC, you are referring to a certain
processor (like Arm?). I thought Windows CE OS can run on a number of
different processors. I'm a little confused. Please help out.

Thanks,
George

More about : question pocketpc 2003

Anonymous
July 10, 2005 7:42:41 PM

> I have a question regarding PocketPC 2003. In most of the ads for
> PocketPC
> 2003 peripheral devices, it will list operating system support (i.e.
> Windows Mobile 2003 for Pocket PC). But I rarely saw any ad list the
> supported processor (i.e. Arm, SH4, MIPS, x86, etc). Depending on the type
> of embedded processor on the devices, the device drvier of a same piece of
> peripheral device should be different. It almost seems to me that whenever
> you mention Windows CE based PocketPC, you are referring to a certain
> processor (like Arm?). I thought Windows CE OS can run on a number of
> different processors. I'm a little confused. Please help out.

The ARM, SH4, MIPS and Intel XScale processors (PocketPCs don't use x86
architecture)
all use the same instruction set so if your program is compatible with
WM2003, it will run on all
PocketPCs that run WM2003.

Tom Lake
Anonymous
July 10, 2005 7:42:42 PM

Ah, not quite. ARM and Intel Xscale are compatible. The MIPs and SH3 are
substantially different. the reality is that since PPC2002 the only
supported architecture for the OS is the ARM/Xscale. Nobody builds MIPS/SH3
devices anymore, that can be called Pocket PCs anyway. The early Jornadas
were SH3, and the Casios were MIPS, and the typical software installation
executable had cabs for all three processor types and loaded appropriately.

So, if the item lists support for PPC2000, it best have support for ARM, SH3
and MIPS processors, Supporting devices after that OS only requires support
for ARM type. There are of course things in WM2003/2003SE that aren't
supported in PPC2002, so if the software takes advantage of those things, it
won't be compatible with the older OS, but for an OS reason, not a processor
reason.

The final piece here is that the PPC environment, for lack of a better term,
does run on WindowsCE, as the kernel OS, but they are not synonymous. So
yes, WindowsCE does run on a number of processors, including X86s, but that
is not a PPC, or currently, a WM2003 device.

--
Sven
MVP - Mobile Devices
"Tom Lake" <tlake@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
>> I have a question regarding PocketPC 2003. In most of the ads for
>> PocketPC
>> 2003 peripheral devices, it will list operating system support (i.e.
>> Windows Mobile 2003 for Pocket PC). But I rarely saw any ad list the
>> supported processor (i.e. Arm, SH4, MIPS, x86, etc). Depending on the
>> type
>> of embedded processor on the devices, the device drvier of a same piece
>> of
>> peripheral device should be different. It almost seems to me that
>> whenever
>> you mention Windows CE based PocketPC, you are referring to a certain
>> processor (like Arm?). I thought Windows CE OS can run on a number of
>> different processors. I'm a little confused. Please help out.
>
> The ARM, SH4, MIPS and Intel XScale processors (PocketPCs don't use x86
> architecture)
> all use the same instruction set so if your program is compatible with
> WM2003, it will run on all
> PocketPCs that run WM2003.
>
> Tom Lake

Related resources
July 11, 2005 1:48:02 PM

Guys,

Thanks for the information.

Best regards,
George

"Sven" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> ¦b¶l¥ó
news:o R7mY9XhFHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl ¤¤¼¶¼g...
> Ah, not quite. ARM and Intel Xscale are compatible. The MIPs and SH3 are
> substantially different. the reality is that since PPC2002 the only
> supported architecture for the OS is the ARM/Xscale. Nobody builds
MIPS/SH3
> devices anymore, that can be called Pocket PCs anyway. The early Jornadas
> were SH3, and the Casios were MIPS, and the typical software installation
> executable had cabs for all three processor types and loaded
appropriately.

> So, if the item lists support for PPC2000, it best have support for ARM,
SH3
> and MIPS processors, Supporting devices after that OS only requires
support
> for ARM type. There are of course things in WM2003/2003SE that aren't
> supported in PPC2002, so if the software takes advantage of those things,
it
> won't be compatible with the older OS, but for an OS reason, not a
processor
> reason.
>
> The final piece here is that the PPC environment, for lack of a better
term,
> does run on WindowsCE, as the kernel OS, but they are not synonymous. So
> yes, WindowsCE does run on a number of processors, including X86s, but
that
> is not a PPC, or currently, a WM2003 device.
>
> --
> Sven
> MVP - Mobile Devices
> "Tom Lake" <tlake@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
> >> I have a question regarding PocketPC 2003. In most of the ads for
> >> PocketPC
> >> 2003 peripheral devices, it will list operating system support (i.e.
> >> Windows Mobile 2003 for Pocket PC). But I rarely saw any ad list the
> >> supported processor (i.e. Arm, SH4, MIPS, x86, etc). Depending on the
> >> type
> >> of embedded processor on the devices, the device drvier of a same piece
> >> of
> >> peripheral device should be different. It almost seems to me that
> >> whenever
> >> you mention Windows CE based PocketPC, you are referring to a certain
> >> processor (like Arm?). I thought Windows CE OS can run on a number of
> >> different processors. I'm a little confused. Please help out.
> >
> > The ARM, SH4, MIPS and Intel XScale processors (PocketPCs don't use x86
> > architecture)
> > all use the same instruction set so if your program is compatible with
> > WM2003, it will run on all
> > PocketPCs that run WM2003.
> >
> > Tom Lake

July 11, 2005 5:01:19 PM

By the way, is the same thing apply to Windows SmartPhone as well?

Thanks,
George
"George" <georgeyu@everstone.com.tw> ¦b¶l¥ó
news:eq$wWmbhFHA.3436@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl ¤¤¼¶¼g...
> Guys,
>
> Thanks for the information.
>
> Best regards,
> George
>
> "Sven" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> ¦b¶l¥ó
> news:o R7mY9XhFHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl ¤¤¼¶¼g...
> > Ah, not quite. ARM and Intel Xscale are compatible. The MIPs and SH3 are
> > substantially different. the reality is that since PPC2002 the only
> > supported architecture for the OS is the ARM/Xscale. Nobody builds
> MIPS/SH3
> > devices anymore, that can be called Pocket PCs anyway. The early
Jornadas
> > were SH3, and the Casios were MIPS, and the typical software
installation
> > executable had cabs for all three processor types and loaded
> appropriately.
> >
> > So, if the item lists support for PPC2000, it best have support for ARM,
> SH3
> > and MIPS processors, Supporting devices after that OS only requires
> support
> > for ARM type. There are of course things in WM2003/2003SE that aren't
> > supported in PPC2002, so if the software takes advantage of those
things,
> it
> > won't be compatible with the older OS, but for an OS reason, not a
> processor
> > reason.
> >
> > The final piece here is that the PPC environment, for lack of a better
> term,
> > does run on WindowsCE, as the kernel OS, but they are not synonymous. So
> > yes, WindowsCE does run on a number of processors, including X86s, but
> that
> > is not a PPC, or currently, a WM2003 device.
> >
> > --
> > Sven
> > MVP - Mobile Devices
> > "Tom Lake" <tlake@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > > The ARM, SH4, MIPS and Intel XScale processors (PocketPCs don't use
x86
> > > architecture)
> > > all use the same instruction set so if your program is compatible with
> > > WM2003, it will run on all
> > > PocketPCs that run WM2003.
> > >
> > > Tom Lake

Anonymous
July 11, 2005 5:01:20 PM

Yea, kinda. Don't think there were any Smartphones running a Windows OS
before 2002. Not even sure about 2002. My Audiovox and Motorola Smartphones
both say they have an ARM OMAP processor, and I haven't noticed any
assortment of cabs on programs that let you download cabs and install that
way. Same deal on WinCE4 being what underlays the WM2003(SE) for Smartphone
user experience.

--
Sven
MVP - Mobile Devices
"George" <georgeyu@everstone.com.tw> wrote in message
> By the way, is the same thing apply to Windows SmartPhone as well?
>
> Thanks,
> George
> "George" <georgeyu@everstone.com.tw> ¦b¶l¥ó
> news:eq$wWmbhFHA.3436@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl ¤¤¼¶¼g...
>> Guys,
>>
>> Thanks for the information.
>>
>> Best regards,
>> George
>>
>> "Sven" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> ¦b¶l¥ó
>> news:o R7mY9XhFHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl ¤¤¼¶¼g...
>> > Ah, not quite. ARM and Intel Xscale are compatible. The MIPs and SH3
>> > are
>> > substantially different. the reality is that since PPC2002 the only
>> > supported architecture for the OS is the ARM/Xscale. Nobody builds
>> MIPS/SH3
>> > devices anymore, that can be called Pocket PCs anyway. The early
> Jornadas
>> > were SH3, and the Casios were MIPS, and the typical software
> installation
>> > executable had cabs for all three processor types and loaded
>> appropriately.
>> >
>> > So, if the item lists support for PPC2000, it best have support for
>> > ARM,
>> SH3
>> > and MIPS processors, Supporting devices after that OS only requires
>> support
>> > for ARM type. There are of course things in WM2003/2003SE that aren't
>> > supported in PPC2002, so if the software takes advantage of those
> things,
>> it
>> > won't be compatible with the older OS, but for an OS reason, not a
>> processor
>> > reason.
>> >
>> > The final piece here is that the PPC environment, for lack of a better
>> term,
>> > does run on WindowsCE, as the kernel OS, but they are not synonymous.
>> > So
>> > yes, WindowsCE does run on a number of processors, including X86s, but
>> that
>> > is not a PPC, or currently, a WM2003 device.
>> >
>> > --
>> > Sven
>> > MVP - Mobile Devices
>> > "Tom Lake" <tlake@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
> piece

> x86

July 11, 2005 9:57:51 PM

Hi Sven,

Thanks, By the way do you know of any PDA that is running Mobile 5.0?
Another question is the upgrade from 4.2 to 5.0. Once upgraded to 5.0, if
there any way to switch back and forth between 4.2 and 5.0?

news:uw7rv4dhFHA.4028@TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl ¤¤¼¶¼g...
> Yea, kinda. Don't think there were any Smartphones running a Windows OS
> before 2002. Not even sure about 2002. My Audiovox and Motorola
Smartphones
> both say they have an ARM OMAP processor, and I haven't noticed any
> assortment of cabs on programs that let you download cabs and install that
> way. Same deal on WinCE4 being what underlays the WM2003(SE) for
Smartphone
> user experience.
>
> --
> Sven
> MVP - Mobile Devices
> "George" <georgeyu@everstone.com.tw> wrote in message
> > By the way, is the same thing apply to Windows SmartPhone as well?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > George
> > "George" <georgeyu@everstone.com.tw> ¦b¶l¥ó
> > news:eq$wWmbhFHA.3436@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl ¤¤¼¶¼g...
> >> Guys,
> >>
> >> Thanks for the information.
> >>
> >> Best regards,
> >> George
> >>
> >> "Sven" <sejohannsen@hotmail.com> ¦b¶l¥ó
> >> news:o R7mY9XhFHA.576@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl ¤¤¼¶¼g...
> >> MIPS/SH3
> > Jornadas
> > installation
> >> appropriately.

> >> SH3
> >> support
> > things,
> >> it
> >> processor

> >> term,
> >> that

> > piece

> > x86

Anonymous
July 12, 2005 3:02:39 AM

I don't think there are any really commercially available just yet, though
there are demo and preproduction ones floating around of course.

As far as going back, that would depend on the OEM. Each of these upgrades
is a ROM flash process. For some of the ROM updates that have been released
(prior to WM5) part of the process has been to capture a current image in
case the user needed to go back. Not sure if that is possible with the WM5
update, but it would definitely require the OEM to support it and make it
possible.

--
news:o f9LB4fhFHA.1048@tk2msftngp13.phx.gbl...

!