ncc386

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
I just noticed that the System Monitor snap-in isn't loading the three default counters. This is a new installation of Windows XP Professional SP2. I have the SMP hotfix, AMD processor driver, and AMD dual-core sync driver. I also have DirectX 9 (october), and all the currently released updates via Automatic Updates.

This is the first time I've tried to pull up the Performance console since I've reinstalled XP. I also have not activated XP, yet. Doubt that would have anything to do with it, but just to make sure I mention everything.

Has anyone heard of this? In fact, several other Counter Objects are missing from the pulldown list including Memory and Paging File. I'm opening the console with administrative privileges.

This is just too weird. Anyone have any ideas? I'm wondering if it might be the AMD dual-core fix they just released. But why would "memory" or "paging" counters be missing from the list?

fattony

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2006
hmm, the performance logs and alerts service is set to manual in services.msc? are you seeing any errors in the event viewer system logs from SCM about perfmon?

are you on x64?

ncc386

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
Yes, it is set to manual.

No, nothing in the system log.

No, not using the x64 version.

I'm about to rip out the AMD dual-core fix just to see.

Thanks! :)

EDIT: removed, no change... yarr!

ncc386

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
Oh, yes... I forgot to mention (embarrassing) that I have the latest version of Star Force installed (infected?) on my PC. I play those Midway arcade games (Hydro Thunder, RUSH 2046, Mortal Kombat 3, etc) and they are, unfortunately, all Star Forced to hell and back. I'll be removing it, next.

EDIT: removed... no change. reinstalled...

ncc386

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2006
It didn't fix the problem, but it has given me a few ideas. Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it! :)

EDIT: Jesus... I figured it out! I went into HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\PerfOS\Performance and found an entry called "Disable Performance Counter". It was set to 1 and from what I just read, it seems something may have happened during a quick self-check by the Performance console and it decided to do me a favor by secretly removing the default counters without any notification at all. Once I set that entry to 0, all the base performance counters came back.