Sign in with
Your question

Barecelona to be launched in Q3, desktop K10 in Q4!

Last response: in CPUs
April 15, 2007 6:50:09 PM

Quote:
In the third quarter, we will have the launch of Barcelona, a quad core processor that will bring a much improved performance per watt and not at all just an evolution of the previous generation processor. In the 4th quarter, we will have the desktop version of Barcelona in both dual core and quad core implementations.

http://www.cpilive.net/v3/inside.aspx?scr=n&NID=1320

K10 smells on paper launch.
April 15, 2007 6:52:31 PM

AMD is really getting to this game late.

I don't know why you'd see a paper launch coming on this. If they would have claimed a launch in Q2, then maybe.
April 15, 2007 7:09:07 PM

Most definitive statement from AMD yet.
Related resources
April 15, 2007 7:18:42 PM

AMDs K8 stuff is going to cost NEGATIVE dollars by then 8O

Poor Baron :lol: 
April 15, 2007 7:49:33 PM

One more step closer than ~$200 quad cores, hehe.
Somewhere I read that Q6600 are going to be like ~$270 by Q3 of this year. If AMD wants to be competitive, they have to release ~$250 quad cores too.
April 15, 2007 7:57:21 PM

Quote:
Somewhere I read that Q6600 are going to be like ~$270 by Q3 of this year. If AMD wants to be competitive, they have to release ~$250 quad cores too.

Ah... $250 quad cores! I'll have two please! And a nice motherboard to run them, thank you! Don't care if it's made AMD, Intel or Kia. Just let it be fast and cheap! :D 
April 15, 2007 8:06:25 PM

Quote:
Amazing :roll: looks like this year is really as washed out as i predicted. Q4 desktops wont save stocks this year and i wouldnt bet the farm on gfx holding up the tent if I were them.

When can I call them indiots?

You have my permission to start now. I've checked Hector's astrological chart and for the next few days, particularly the 18th and 23rd have this warning:

The "Stars" will be retrograding into Uranus.

:lol: 
April 15, 2007 8:37:42 PM

Quote:
Amazing :roll: looks like this year is really as washed out as i predicted. Q4 desktops wont save stocks this year and i wouldnt bet the farm on gfx holding up the tent if I were them.

When can I call them indiots?

You have my permission to start now. I've checked Hector's astrological chart and for the next few days, particularly the 18th and 23rd have this warning:

The "Stars" will be retrograding into Uranus.

:lol: That's a shi**y situation. 8O You sure the dual core is called Agena, and not Enima? :wink:
April 15, 2007 8:40:54 PM

Quote:
That's a shi**y situation. 8O You sure the dual core is called Agena, and not Enima? :wink:

Agena: Quad-core
Kuma: High-end dual-core
Rana: Low-end dual-core
Spica: Single-core

:wink:
April 15, 2007 8:41:59 PM

Quote:
In the third quarter, we will have the launch of Barcelona, a quad core processor that will bring a much improved performance per watt and not at all just an evolution of the previous generation processor. In the 4th quarter, we will have the desktop version of Barcelona in both dual core and quad core implementations.

If this does happens, AMD may be bankrupt in this year.
April 15, 2007 8:43:25 PM

Quote:
AMD will likely announce shipments of ES to system builders and refer to it as a launch. Final produt will land in Q3, so I think it will paper launch in Q2 and production shipment in Q3....

That is my guess...

Jack

This cannot save AMD at all. :?
April 15, 2007 8:48:22 PM

Quote:

That is, at least, a clear statement.

Which begs the question now of what will Barcelona et al do versus Penrym?

Intel has stated officailly that Penrym will also be out late 4th quarter (my guess is Xmas) and given the way the two companys have been executing, I'd feel more confident in Intel's date the AMDs.
April 15, 2007 8:56:39 PM

its sad they can't bump this up...65nm is probably gonig to be AMD's stumbling stone...i was glad to hear one of their plants going from 90nm str8 2 45nm...

I've said this b4 but AMD maybe up crap creek until AM3 matures...I think everyone needs to stop being so doom and gloom about them...there are thousands of datacenters and server builders that will ALWAYS pick the opterons...but they do need to retake the crown so i don't have to look at these dumb@ss intel C2D commericals (I CAN GIVE YOU WHAT YOU WANT!! I CAN GIVE YOU WHAT YOU NEED!!)

I've looked at a lot of benchmarks but I honestly don't get why C2D's are able to pushout such higher FPS's than AMD X2's...I mean...I get some of it but AMD still wins on throughput and stuff like that,,,benchies i would associate with getting the info faster to the GPU...

anyway...if K10 can retake the FPS crown the retail segment will see a boost...even on their current X2's...because of the future upgrade path...

all current C2D users are gonna have to toss their mobo's...I mean bearlake isn't going to last that long anyway (won't support Nehalem)
April 15, 2007 8:58:47 PM

Quote:

What does that have to do with me, subhuman?
April 15, 2007 9:02:06 PM

Quote:

What does that have to do with me, subhuman?Because!!!! You have been belly-aching about the CPU price-war for months.... Lower prices may just push you over the edge. :tongue:
April 15, 2007 9:04:32 PM

Bizarre that K10 will effectively only compete with Penryn not Conroe.

AMD will have skipped an entire generation 8O
April 15, 2007 9:09:56 PM

Quote:
Bizarre that K10 will effectively only compete with Penryn not Conroe.

AMD will have skipped an entire generation 8O

Of course they have, that's why they went from K8 to K10 8)
April 15, 2007 9:11:02 PM

Quote:

I don't know why you'd see a paper launch coming on this. If they would have claimed a launch in Q2, then maybe.

Fanboy, you make me laugh. :roll:
It took 3 years for Intel to answer X2 and FX and after a few months now AMD is late in the game?? Get real dude.

Good point.
April 15, 2007 9:14:51 PM

Quote:

It took 3 years for Intel to answer X2 and FX and after a few months now AMD is late in the game?? Get real dude.

No it didnt.

cedar mill on oct 05
core mobile dec 05
939 was released early mid 03
do the math its well under 3 yearsIt's hard to use a calculator, when your heads in the toilet-bowl. :) 
April 15, 2007 9:17:41 PM

Quote:
AMD will likely announce shipments of ES to system builders and refer to it as a launch. Final produt will land in Q3, so I think it will paper launch in Q2 and production shipment in Q3....

That is my guess...

Jack

That was always the whole plan. Sample in May, ship in June, volume in July. That will allow Kuma to ramp more quickly and depending on when they cancel Brisbane, they'll have every market segment and price point covered.

Another issue is how CHartered ramps 65nm. If they got above the currently reported 3000WSPM, that may allow all Brisbane to come out of Chartered.

Windsor, to the possible dismay of enthusiasts, needs to die a quick death so Fab 30/38 can do Opteron from 2.4-3.0GHz while canceling the lower speeds.

Since a Turion shrink will produce an incredibly small chip, a very small % of Fab 36 can be allocated for that. If you take a 30% improvement that produces 21-25W chips.

They could actually make ULV chips with that.

AGain, you have to have balls if you want to play in the biggest leagues. Hector and CO. have big hairy ones. I think it will pay off tremendously the way Opteron did.
April 15, 2007 9:18:27 PM

This is ironic... complete role reversal. Intel once was raped by AMD's processors, though now with C2D, its AMD getting raped by Intel... the real difference is, will AMD live through 2007? They better, because I'd hate to see them go. For the sakes of our wallets, AMD better get themselves out of this mess.
April 15, 2007 9:19:15 PM

Quote:

It took 1 year and 1 month for Intel to answer X2(released june 2005). AMD will need at least 1 year and 3 months to try to answer to Core2. But we don't know how much time AMD will need, because we don't know how K10 performs. IMO, AMD will not touch the desktop performance crown in near future.
AMD are too late in the game for sure: their 65nm SOI-3 is late, K10 is late, their 45nm will be late.
April 15, 2007 9:24:36 PM

Baron, exactly how do you know about the hirsuteness of Mr. Ruiz's testicles? :twisted:

Tanker, I think that Enima is the CPU with AMD-R Rectalization technology which implements the Optimist Power Management to claim PowerNow! when the company is completely out of "cache" and they aint worth a "chip." :lol: 
April 15, 2007 9:42:17 PM

@vern
If K10 desktop comes in Q4 it will have to compete against Penryn. Even if it competes against Kentsfield, I don't believe that it will bring the performance crown with 2.5GHz top frequency. According to the K10 data, in average it will perform similar like C2, clock for clock. A 2.5GHz will face a 3GHz C2Q QX6850 with 1333MHz FSB. K10 will need to be more than 20% faster clock for clock in average than Core2(50% faster than K8 ), in order to match the C2Q performance. I don't believe that K10 has such potentials.
April 15, 2007 9:46:41 PM

Quote:

Ah... $250 quad cores! I'll have two please! And a nice motherboard to run them, thank you! Don't care if it's made AMD, Intel or Kia. Just let it be fast and cheap! :D In the words of the dude with the cat avater, WORD!
April 15, 2007 9:52:14 PM

Quote:
In the words of the dude with the cat avater, WORD!

Now that is something to get me hotter than phone sex with Charlize Theron. Two $250 quads sitting on a non-server motherboard with nary an FB-DIMM in sight! WHOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooo!!!!

Quote:
can we get a schematic of the AMD-R technology?

Of course! This is in case you missed it when the Inq ran the story.

April 15, 2007 9:56:36 PM

The AMD doom talk was around during the end of the lifecycle of the xp processors, hell even i was thinking they would go away when they released a crappy xp3200 that wasnt reaaly that much faster than my xp2500+. But they game with the socket 754 which was great, then the socket 939 which was awesome. I think they will pull though, and i really want them to, amd is a very innovative company, and in ten years i think amd and intel will be runing a much closer race than they are today.
April 15, 2007 10:26:20 PM

I am organizing a contribution campaign for AMD. Because AMD is not profitable the donations of I and others will be needed.

Remember, without AMD we wouldn't have inventions that came out last year such as the dual socket motherboard. Before last year there was no such thing as a dual socket motherboard and now there is.

So far I have support from myself and Sharikou on this idea. We plan to make donations to AMD via paypal. Remember, AMD is a non-profit corporation (NYSE: AMD).
April 15, 2007 10:31:14 PM

Quote:
@vern
If K10 desktop comes in Q4 it will have to compete against Penryn. Even if it competes against Kentsfield, I don't believe that it will bring the performance crown with 2.5GHz top frequency. According to the K10 data, in average it will perform similar like C2, clock for clock. A 2.5GHz will face a 3GHz C2Q QX6850 with 1333MHz FSB. K10 will need to be more than 20% faster clock for clock in average than Core2(50% faster than K8 ), in order to match the C2Q performance. I don't believe that K10 has such potentials.

That's because the correct word is POTENTIAL.

Idiot!!
April 15, 2007 10:31:53 PM

Quote:
I am organizing a contribution campaign for AMD. Because AMD is not profitable the donations of I and others will be needed.

Remember, without AMD we wouldn't have inventions that came out last year such as the dual socket motherboard. Before last year there was no such thing as a dual socket motherboard and now there is.

So far I have support from myself and Sharikou on this idea. We plan to make donations to AMD via paypal. Remember, AMD is a non-profit corporation (NYSE: AMD).

Wow, a REAL FAN. I'm blushing.
April 15, 2007 10:32:17 PM

Quote:

Keep up the good work!!!
April 15, 2007 10:32:43 PM

Quote:

Keep up the good work!!!

No, you keep up the good work.
April 15, 2007 10:33:17 PM

Quote:

Keep up the good work!!!

Finally, someone who understands me.
April 15, 2007 10:33:59 PM

Quote:

Keep up the good work!!!

I know what you mean. BTW, who's Sharikou?
April 15, 2007 10:34:37 PM

Quote:

Keep up the good work!!!

I don't know some guy who has nothing to do with us. I just thought I'd cause trouble.
April 15, 2007 10:35:12 PM

Quote:

Keep up the good work!!!

I don't know some guy who has nothing to do with us. I just thought I'd cause trouble.

Oh. OK, welcome to the Brood. Present your soul upon entry.
April 15, 2007 11:02:37 PM

Baron has finally flipped.

Had to happen some day I guess 8O
April 15, 2007 11:12:43 PM

He seemed so chill recently too.
April 15, 2007 11:13:27 PM

speechless
April 15, 2007 11:59:06 PM

There is a matrixbaron now!, is this like a doppleganger space time contium thing,LOL, you guys.
April 16, 2007 1:39:08 AM

Quote:

AMD does not have the capitol to pull a Intel.
April 16, 2007 2:00:44 AM

what the helll!!!!!!! there is no way now, that i will be waiting for k10... i suppose i will have to walk down the dark road that is Intel :lol: 
April 16, 2007 2:02:07 AM

Quote:

Idiot!!

I'm sure your spelling and grammar would be as good in his native tongue?
April 16, 2007 2:56:21 AM

Quote:
thats the pre postal syndrome. :lol: 

I'm not sure what that means but I guess the shock of "launch" in 2007 and assumed availability in 2008 was too much for him :) 
April 16, 2007 3:11:54 AM

Quote:

Idiot!!

I'm sure your spelling and grammar would be as good in his native tongue?

Maybe he should watch his tongue. I try to be respectful of everyone. I get none, I give none.
April 16, 2007 3:49:33 AM

Quote:

You're right. But the difference is Intel has CASH, AMD does not. Intel can afford to wait 3 years, AMD can't.
April 16, 2007 4:08:17 AM

Quote:
Baron has finally flipped.

Had to happen some day I guess 8O
I said before that he suffers from MPD (multiple-personality disorder). :wink:
April 16, 2007 5:44:15 AM

Quote:

I've looked at a lot of benchmarks but I honestly don't get why C2D's are able to pushout such higher FPS's than AMD X2's...I mean...I get some of it but AMD still wins on throughput and stuff like that,,,benchies i would associate with getting the info faster to the GPU...

Actually, this is sort of interesting topic.

In fact, I believe the *lack* of IMC can have a lot to do with high gaming performance of C2D's. Often overlooked fact is that IMC puts memory further from GPU.

Mirek
April 16, 2007 6:31:16 AM

Quote:

I 100% support you! We need AMD to continue innovation, such as the awesome dual socket 4x4 enthusiast platform! I'm even selling my car and house and donating the money to AMD so they can continue to frag Intel. Remember, 4x4 is a permanent solution to pin Intel at half of AMD's performance. Once K10 is out all Core 2 will be sold for below $100.

Don't forget, Intel BK 2Q08.
April 16, 2007 7:20:33 AM

Quote:

K10 smells on paper launch.\

Does this mean Baron will finally buy his QFX....1 year after his stated intent? Or will the be another RAM issue?
!